Vintage cigarette collection – is there a market?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
Need some help here folks… some people collect stamps, guns, cars, my late uncle collected old cigarettes. Some are old, some are REALLY old.

Anyone here know of anyone that might be interested or possibly be able to put me in touch?

Thank you!

20170219_111605_resized_1.jpg 20170219_111612_resized_1.jpg

No idea but I have a question. Is it just me or do the photos look a little ............smokey? :)

No, you can't smoke them! Will taste like old gym socks.

Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should.

I'd walk a mile for a camel.

Show me your Lark pack.

A silly millimeter longer.

Just what the doctor ordered (L&M brand).

You've come a long way baby.

"Mildness is a pleasure with Pall Mall."
"Wherever particular people congregate"

I'd think there would be a market with TV/movie prop companies. Anyone filming something taking place in the 70's or earlier when cigs were just part of everyday life would want to get their hands on some 'real product' rather than having to create it. Check Ebay maybe? Or do they have a restriction on that?
-Ken

No, you can't smoke them! Will taste like old gym socks.

Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should.

I'd walk a mile for a camel.

Show me your Lark pack.

A silly millimeter longer.

Just what the doctor ordered (L&M brand).

You've come a long way baby.

"Mildness is a pleasure with Pall Mall."
"Wherever particular people congregate"

"It's not how long you make it..........It's how you make it loooooooooooong!!!"

Sheesh, you can tell who grew up in the 50's and 60's here.

Not a cigarette jingle but funny just the same: "Does she or doesn't she? Hope so!" (George Carlin) From a hair color ad. Kurt

Last edited:
Sheesh, you can tell who grew up in the 50's and 60's here.

Just ask what was the price of gas when you were a kid: 35 cents.

And if you know what a vacuum tube is. Or when all the TV's were black and white.

When phone calls were a dime, and used only rotary dials.

NOW I FEEL OLD.

But a guy at work is older. He worked for the phone co. Back when they had party lines (few will know what that is).

HE ACTUALLY remembered using phones that had cranks on them. (for generating the ringing voltage, a magneto).

I'm not that old (well, is 50 that old?), but we had a party line at my folks' house as recently as the early 80's. Then again, they are out in the sticks.
-Ken

Probably the most interested entity would be a museum. Something that handles vending machines.
Maybe that guy Rick, from American Restoration on the History Channel for his vending machines resto's.
Maybe a custom smoke shop or tobacco shop for display if they've been in business a long time.
You could try the prop section of the movie makers, but that might be a long shot.
My guess is, it's a nitch collector item. You'll have to advertise a long time and find the right buyer.
I can't think why anyone would want to collect an item that is a known cancer causer.
You would assume you might as well collect samples of asbestos.

The funny thing about party lines back then (bunch of phones on the same line, you could listen in on others calls), is that they hada way to just ring one of the phones, that was getting a call. He explained it, something to do with the tip, ring, and sleeve of the 1/4" phoneplug the operators use to patch the call. They still use those for some earphones. I can only see that working if they wired the ringers of each phone back to the main office, but the very idea of the party line is to save wiring. Don't understand it. A lost art anyway. Now we have iFones so the NSA can bug and track us. What an improvement.

Back