Tripoli Las Vegas SpringFest March 17-19, New Waiver, Jean Dry Lake Bed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This really sounds like a fun launch,,
camping out on the lake bed all weekend and hanging with everybody...
I wish it wasn't so far for me...
Tempting,, right,, lol..

Teddy

OTOH its a haul. 4.5 hours at a good clip.

ONLY 4.5 hours? That ain't nothing!
This was essentially a "local" launch for me, and the drive was 6.5 hours minimum, up to 8 sometimes.
Club launches for me have always been a minimum of 4 hours, up to 10.

Get in that car and go!

s6

Wow, I sure do miss Tripoli Vegas and Springfest fun. You all enjoy it this year for me! I'll sacrifice a camel spider in tribute to the wind gods and the hope that one of those rare but amazing launch weather windows appears.

Since I am (it seems) a million miles away, I would love to sponsor someone attempting a L1 cert, motor wise (sorry those going for L3, I know what that cost is!). Any to L1 takers? Motojoe, might I be able to work this with you should the right opportunity appear at the launch?

T'would be an honorable endeavor - to be sure. But instead of a sacrifice to the nasty spider, just relocate it, or you, to a better locale. Stay safe out there and come back for Oktoberfest or Springfest next year.

Wow, I sure do miss Tripoli Vegas and Springfest fun. You all enjoy it this year for me! I'll sacrifice a camel spider in tribute to the wind gods and the hope that one of those rare but amazing launch weather windows appears.

Since I am (it seems) a million miles away, I would love to sponsor someone attempting a L1 cert, motor wise (sorry those going for L3, I know what that cost is!). Any to L1 takers? Motojoe, might I be able to work this with you should the right opportunity appear at the launch?

We can't wait for you to join us at the next one. That is an awesome opportunity for an L1 attempt, nice!

We can't wait for you to join us at the next one. That is an awesome opportunity for an L1 attempt, nice!

AF just told me I am going to DC next... :shock: sniff, sniff, sniff. Sure wish I was stayin in NV, but not to be.

FIRST L1 attempt person to step forward will get the motor of their choice, as long as Rocketjoe carries it. Anyone??

Last edited:
Game on, KenRico and I are driving up from SD Friday afternoon. Hoping the W stays a bit below forecast. Always enjoyed flying on Jean Dry Lake, where you can drive without fear of ruts.

OK, obviously those of you who did go either did not get the briefing regarding your responsibilities, or you are being lazy, or just plain mean.
But you ARE SUPPOSED to post here after telling those of us who couldn't make it about how great it was.

We want pictures, and videos, and stories, and tales of adventure/excitement/catastrophe/etc.

Please fulfill your obligations to the less fortunate now................launch reports please!
fyrwyrx, Viperfxr, and I at the very least are waiting.

s6

Well I for one had a blast

Couldn't have asked for much better weather.. All but a few hrs of wind was perfect..

I personally flew at least 10 flights including a boosted rc glider (centuries Mach 10 upscale) my revamped incredible 5.5 in Der red.. No I'm not bragging it's all done in "incredibles" theme

There w were tons of beautiful flights a few nice cert flights and a few cool night flights...

Wish I took more pics I hope someone did!

Here's a couple I did take

Thanks to all who hosted the launch, I really enjoyed the whole event. Well organized and staffed. Been trying to make this event for years and with the new call wavier I had to make it this time, well worth the drive form Northern California.

See my launch report at this link

OK, obviously those of you who did go either did not get the briefing regarding your responsibilities, or you are being lazy, or just plain mean.
But you ARE SUPPOSED to post here after telling those of us who couldn't make it about how great it was.

We want pictures, and videos, and stories, and tales of adventure/excitement/catastrophe/etc.

Please fulfill your obligations to the less fortunate now................launch reports please!

s6

+1......

Oh man,, you were there Mark ???

aw well...

Teddy

s6

Yeah-whut Dave sez-we're SUPPOSED to be butt-hurt and sad we missed the gathering of the nerd herd. The pics are just salt on open wounds and we really hate to hear how much they had. These actions re-enforce deep-seated fears we will be forgotten and not considered 'true rocketeers'. I think it also drives up the prices of motors, but I'm not sure because I haven't flown at all this year. My face may be on a bag of dog barf soon....."Missing-last seen at LDRS..."

Last edited:
I just stopped by on Saturday for a bit to chat with a few people. Wasn't in a position to fly anything. I took a couple of videos on my phone.

Charlie from AT flew the upcoming Monstra kit on an H550:

[video=youtube;gM9V2iaRIZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM9V2iaRIZk[/video]

Two other flights, have no idea what the details are other than one was a 2 stage attempt.

[video=youtube;n6zgyqbVoQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zgyqbVoQs[/video]
[video=youtube;-E0tKAwltjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0tKAwltjg[/video]

THis was an AWESOME launch Teddy wish you could have come... I actually won one of your harnesses in the raffle... put it to use already... upgraded the old shock cord in the incredibles MAX.. worked PERFECT..

anyone get any more pictures... I was to busy flying didnt really get any..

thanks to TRIP Vagas you guys know how to put on a launch

laid back safe fun just what I needed!

THis was an AWESOME launch Teddy wish you could have come... I actually won one of your harnesses in the raffle... put it to use already... upgraded the old shock cord in the incredibles MAX.. worked PERFECT..

anyone get any more pictures... I was to busy flying didnt really get any..

thanks to TRIP Vagas you guys know how to put on a launch

laid back safe fun just what I needed!

Oh man,,
that's funny Mark,,
Good for you man,..
I sure do wish I was closer..
That sounds like fun launch for sure..

Teddy

What a great event! Thank you to everyone who made it out near and far, Tripoli Vegas for hosting the event, including the vendors on-site supporting all of us flying!
Moto-Joe, AMW Pro-x, Aerotech and StickerShock - Thank you!

Big Thank you to our raffle partners!!!!
OneBadHawk
EggTimer Rocketry
Wildman Rocketry
Moto-Joe
AMW-PROx
MadCow Rocketry
AeroTech
StickerShock
And all of our individual sponsors and donors!!!

This makes it possible for us to grow membership, upgrades, and continue to support and bring back Rocketry to the region.

We had over 180 Flights, including an M-Motor, 2 Stage, HPR, Odd, Night and all the way to LPR flights! Entertaining variety of motors and recoveries all weekend and good relaxed social time for everyone. The waivers worked perfectly, so OctoberFest is going to be a perfect time of year to fly high flights in our region.

We really enjoyed this as our 2nd time at SpringFest and got to meet all of you! Looking forward to our 3rd. Mark it off on the calendar for next year!

I had 2 awesome drag separations (which I learned 14 second delays are not long enough and shear pins are a must), got addicted to 54mm J-K Reloads and successfully used electronics for deployment with cable cutters to do same bay drogue/main/Flash Streamer recovery--- Which was huge on my list of things to either figure out or scrap. Was able to test my building skills as well, and learned a whole heck of a lot more about rocketry.
I ran across another thread that CrazyJim commented on while searching about drag separation and HED deployment, "Rocketry Enlightenment" is my key take away from the weekend.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Explanations-Requested&p=1527873#post1527873 Post #54

Should have some photos shortly.

Last edited:
Rob,,
That's quite nice of you to publicly list and thank the raffle donors..
You're quite welcome, I'm happy to have helped..

Teddy

And thanks for sharing all of your pictures!!!! Totally an epic launch for the memory banks. Can't wait till Oktoberfest.

Had a great time. Thanks to the TLV crew for putting on another kick a&$ launch. Looking ahead to May, what's the deal with Delamar? Confirmed waiver?

What a great event! Thank you to everyone who made it out near and far, Tripoli Vegas for hosting the event, including the vendors on-site supporting all of us flying!
Moto-Joe, AMW Pro-x, Aerotech - Thank you!

Big Thank you to our raffle partners!!!!
OneBadHawk
EggTimer Rocketry
Wildman Rocketry
Moto-Joe
AMW-PROx
MadCow Rocketry
AeroTech
And all of our individual sponsors and donors!!!

This makes it possible for us to grow membership, upgrades, and continue to support and bring back Rocketry to the region.

We had over 180 Flights, including an M-Motor, 2 Stage, HPR, Odd, Night and all the way to LPR flights! Entertaining variety of motors and recoveries all weekend and good relaxed social time for everyone. The waivers worked perfectly, so OctoberFest is going to be a perfect time of year to fly high flights in our region.

We really enjoyed this as our 2nd time at SpringFest and got to meet all of you! Looking forward to our 3rd. Mark it off on the calendar for next year!

I had 2 awesome drag separations (which I learned 14 second delays are not long enough and shear pins are a must), got addicted to 54mm J-K Reloads and successfully used electronics for deployment with cable cutters to do same bay drogue/main/Flash Streamer recovery--- Which was huge on my list of things to either figure out or scrap. Was able to test my building skills as well, and learned a whole heck of a lot more about rocketry.
I ran across another thread that CrazyJim commented on while searching about drag separation and HED deployment, "Rocketry Enlightenment" is my key take away from the weekend.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Explanations-Requested&p=1527873#post1527873 Post #54

Should have some photos shortly.

You missed one but that's OK lol we do it for the hobby

Back