Loki Research 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just placed my first Loki order with Scott. Looking forward to burning an L1400 in my CF 54 Mongoose at Airfest. This must be how it feels to embrace the dark side...I like it. :dark:

I can feel your anger. Take your weapon, I am defenseless. Strike me down with all your anger then your journey to the dark side will be complete.

I just placed my first Loki order with Scott. Looking forward to burning an L1400 in my CF 54 Mongoose at Airfest. This must be how it feels to embrace the dark side...I like it. :dark:

The L1040 in that bird would be the even darker side.....

Just sayin.

David

Knowing how you build, it'll be in one piece. I just wish I could be there to see this.

The L-1400 should get you somewhere around 18K in that mongoose, but the L-1040 should get you closer to 24K :pop: What are your sims predicting?

The L-1400 should get you somewhere around 18K in that mongoose, but the L-1040 should get you closer to 24K :pop: What are your sims predicting?

L1400 sims to 21.7k and Mach 2.17 from a pretty well validated sim.

L1400 sims to 21.7k and Mach 2.17 from a pretty well validated sim.

That really seams like a reach - my sims come nowhere close! Would you mind posting your sim? Love to see the differnce!

Last edited:
The 1400 will do about 18k, the L 1040 will do more than 24K.

That really seams like a reach - my sims come nowhere close! Would you mind posting your sim? Love to see the differnce!

I'll dig it up. I'll say mine is built to be as slick as possible. Nothing sticks out in the air. I only use set screws, I cut the head off the shearpin, and it is a truly polished surface finish as well. That said it could well under perform. The K550 I flew last year outperformed this sim by about 1% alt, but I used the tail cone closure so some altitude surely came from that. In the end a good flight with lots of fire and noise is what I am after, so I'm sure I'll get that from Loki.

As built ork file attached.

As an example, the K550 sims to 13795' and Mach 1.46, and I got 13923' and Mach 1.37 (baro, so take it as you wish) using a tailcone closure. If I hit 20k' or not, it will still be a good ride.

View attachment mongoose54_asbuilt.ork

I wet sanded and polished this thing till I thought my arm would fall off.

Anyhow, back to the Loki is awesome thread. Woo Loki!

Last edited:
330_2109.JPG

looks like a box of fun!

Does anyone have any suggestions for an ignitor that can work with the #10 nozzle for the 38-120 case. I love flying the G69. It's the coolest motor you can buy for under $20. But the nozzle is so small that I have only been able to use Estes Sonic ignitors. Are there any alternatives?

Does anyone have any suggestions for an ignitor that can work with the #10 nozzle for the 38-120 case. I love flying the G69. It's the coolest motor you can buy for under $20. But the nozzle is so small that I have only been able to use Estes Sonic ignitors. Are there any alternatives?

Send me an email, I have some that fit.

Build your motor with the igniter already in. If you have issues with rso, install the nozzle when you set the rocket on the pad.

Build your motor with the igniter already in. If you have issues with rso, install the nozzle when you set the rocket on the pad.

Sorry Jim..
Not a good idea to teach someone building "G"'s just getting into reloadables and HP...

Teddy

I know our club has a requirement of F and above the igniter has to be installed at the pad, HOWEVER we also have a caveat that motors such as C-slot types can be built with the igniter in (if its a difficult type like the AT 24mm E's) with prior approval of the RSO.

I know our club has a requirement of F and above the igniter has to be installed at the pad, HOWEVER we also have a caveat that motors such as C-slot types can be built with the igniter in (if its a difficult type like the AT 24mm E's) with prior approval of the RSO.

This is pretty much what I was referring to.

Thank god we pulled out of the Paris accord, do you have any idea how many trees you'd have to plant to make up for that?

Check out the AT Facebook. Looks like they flew it a little while ago. Staging went well. Not sure if a motor CATOd or what, as there is a burning smoke plume from the ground near the launch site.

Back