Anyone fly a Goblin?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtH

Reaction score
I was thinking of building a goblin clone. I think I have all the parts I need, and the amazing Jimz site has the plans. If you fly one of these, does it go so high with that D motor it is easy to loose sight of? It looks like it would probably fly fine on ABC motors (which the plans say you can d with an adapter) but I want to build something D powered :eek:

The Goblin is a great flyer, and get some serious altitude on a D motor. You can use an adapter and fly it on 18mm motors just fine. It's easy to build and fun to fly, a very good performer. You can get the decals from Excelsior/Sandman.

When I had my Goblin, I used a 4" X 20' red streamer for recovery an when it would come out, it was very tiny; barely visable. A D12-7 would take it around 1500'. I miss my Goblin!
Daniel

I built a Pseudo-Goblin (instead of BT-55 it is kitbashed from a Cosmic Cobra so is BT-56 with the Cobra nose cone). I've flown it several times on B and C motors with an adapter. If you build it with the streamer, it shouldn't drift too far even on a D. Of course, there are the C11 motors too - but you might have to wait for the re-issue or find some new old stock motors - I'm betting it would need a C11-5.

InFlight makes a nice clone, available at UMRS, see the review here EMRR. And pay no attention to the recommended motors at UMRS. You'll want a large field, or a zero-wind day to fly it on a D12-7. Great fun.

The Goblin is probably the most asked for decal and custom nose cone I make.

I have the decals in mini (Micro Maxx) all the way up to 4" in diameter including the original BT-55 size.

SEMROC has most of the nose cones for whatever scale you want. What they don't have I can make.

Here's a pic of JimZ's original Goblin flying on i think a D11-9 motor that catoed at NARAM 45.

Believe it or not the model just suffered a slightly singed streamer out of this frightening flight.

He flew it again successfully that day but lost it.

Fortunately I found it a few hours later while searching for one of my rockets.

DSCN0598.jpg

OH Heck Yeah!
The Goblin is one of those "Good Ol'e DAZ" classics that everyone should have in their fleets.
I'm one of those who has never thought the Goblin should have been yellow tho my very first one was done in Flourescent Yellow & Black. But ending it's life with a D13- CATO. my next and all the various size Goblins since have all be Orange & Black in the true Halloween spirit;)

Recently rebuilt my 1972 Goblin reusing as many of the original parts as I could so shes still flying and recovering on a 2" x 120" orange Crepe streamer. Fantastic flights...always a pleaser. Micro to 5 D12 Clustered UpScale they all make fine flying fun!!!

MM 233d4-sm_Goblin 0n Pad_12-13-03.jpg

Goblins? Yeah, I got Goblins!

Years back, my first Goblin on a D13 fireballed just a few feet above the launcher. Surprisingly, not much damage.
I lost it on a later flight with another (this time successful) D13.

The greenish one is my Franken Goblin. It was built from parts pulled from dead rockets.
I needed a new member of the family for an EMRR contest last year.
Sort of a Gooney I guess.

I had a great time designing the decals. I took the original Goblin character and added stitches and bolts in the neck.

GoblinFamily4Standing.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I found the inflight clone before I saw the reply. I may have to get one. :rolleyes:

It might be tricky to recover that one. Hopefully they will re-issue some long delay C-11s. Is the 18 MM adapter a part that is easily available or fabricated? That rocket looks like it will fly great on a c6-5 or even a b6-4.

Thanks for all the responses! I love seeing how every one gets so creative with variations on a design.

Last edited:
If you're unable to find the Inflight kit, you can probably buy all the parts from Semroc and the decals from Sandman.

That's what I did.

If you're unable to find the Inflight kit, you can probably buy all the parts from Semroc and the decals from Sandman.

That's what I did.
As did I. I usually put mine up on B and C motors with an adapter.

My%20Goblin%202009-11-1.JPG

I have an upscaled goblin. I fly the heck out of it. It flys Awesome on H and I motors..

Oh and the decals for them are pert of our ECONOMY line.. that means you can get them DIRT CHEAP.
Check them out!

DSC00822.jpg

I have an upscaled goblin. I fly the heck out of it. It flys Awesome on H and I motors..
attachment.php
Really nice upscale there, Mark, but which one is you? :D

Oh and the decals for them are pert of our ECONOMY line.. that means you can get them DIRT CHEAP.
Check them out!
Good to know. After seeing your Goblin, I'm adding a new project to my list. :cheers:

Check them out!

And there you go AGAIN. Showing of your photos with HER. SHEEZ. JUST RUB IT IN MY FACE WILL YA.

:bangpan:

I do have to agree that a Goblin is one of those "gotta have" rockets in everyone's fleet. I have a BT-56 clone and I hate flying it on anything less than a D12. I see an E9 in it's future.

Last edited:
And there you go AGAIN. Showing of your photos with HER. SHEEZ. JUST RUB IT IN MY FACE WILL YA.

:bangpan:

I do have to agree that a Goblin is one of those "gotta have" rockets in everyone's fleet. I have a BT-56 clone and I hate flying it on anything less than a D12. I see an E9 in it's future.

I have some OTHER photos too... rub rub rub LOL...

The e-9 should make it move.. I just realized I dont have an original Goblin.. time to parts scrounge...

What diameter is your upscale, by the way?

I really was talking about the rocket what I said that I wanted to add one to my list. Honest!

Back