Help my chess team?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So... I just created a DonorsChoose to, hopefully, get a few Chromebooks for the GHS chess team. If you've got a spare $5, it'll be funded in a week! Use the promo code "LIFTOFF" to have your donation doubled, up to $50. Thanks!
... Even more important, if you could share this with everyone you know, we'll be fully funded before you can say "Checkmate"!
https://www.donorschoose.org/project/chess-team-chrome-style/2451960/

Sent some your way. I used to bring a portable chess board to my first morning class and play it before class began.

Made me think of the rocket.
2SfcI85.jpg

Sent some your way. I used to bring a portable chess board to my first morning class and play it before class began.

Made me think of the rocket.
2SfcI85.jpg

Thank you! Very much appreciated!
I've got a Wildman Drago 4 just waiting for the StickerShock decals... My first chess-themed rocket.

I donated. I was also thinking of auctioning off an autographed, one of a kind, recon parachute thong that I made. Worn only once! This is clearly worth hundreds of dollars, so start saving up for that auction!

I donated. I was also thinking of auctioning off an autographed, one of a kind, recon parachute thong that I made. Worn only once! This is clearly worth hundreds of dollars, so start saving up for that auction!

You should see a little something from Bat-mite.

Thank you! We're over half funded in just under 12 hours. Awesome!

Thanks, all! Less than 24 hours after posting, we're fully funded!
SO much appreciation!... For once in my life, I'm almost speechless.

Wow, that was quick! Congratulations!

We did a donorschoose fundraiser to build our big Dragonfly. It was a little more than yours ( I believe a bit over $900 total) but it took a few weeks to fulfill.

You need to turn your chess kids on to HPR. A K-powered Rook would be awesome....

Wow, that was quick! Congratulations!

We did a donorschoose fundraiser to build our big Dragonfly. It was a little more than yours ( I believe a bit over $900 total) but it took a few weeks to fulfill.

You need to turn your chess kids on to HPR. A K-powered Rook would be awesome....

Indeed... They know my rocketry hobby and have been asking for a launch-able Bishop...

It may sound silly, but let us know how the team does!

I certainly will. Thanks again!

Indeed... They know my rocketry hobby and have been asking for a launch-able Bishop...

I certainly will. Thanks again!

Now make a giant chessboard and play "spot landing chess" — If the move is legal, it says, if otherwise, launch again.

eric; get in touch with Sather, he has built and flown a large bishop (and other oddly shaped rockets, iirc an ice cream was one).
Rex

Thanks for the letter, and good luck to your team. Give us updates.

Thanks again, and will do! The season starts next fall... I worked the Middle School tournament last weekend, and found an 8th grader who decided on our school specifically for chess. So, things are looking good for a great next 4 years!

eric; get in touch with Sather, he has built and flown a large bishop (and other oddly shaped rockets, iirc an ice cream was one).
Rex

Really?! Sweet... Sather is fun people...

some time back we had an up/ down scale anything challenge...he found a website that sold 'oversize' items, chessmen icecream cones etc. might be able to find it if you looked for 'Kelly's challenge'
Rex

he has built and flown a large bishop (and other oddly shaped rockets, iirc an ice cream was one). Rex

Not to hijack your thread, but I absolutely LOVE Great Big Stuff.com. Most of these were intended as banks. Rocket guys see them as challenges...

It would be fun to make a whole set of chess pieces and play a game on the runway.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_1089_2.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMGP0488.jpg

IMGP1095.jpg

Not to hijack your thread, but I absolutely LOVE Great Big Stuff.com. Most of these were intended as banks. Rocket guys see them as challenges....

Why am I not surprised that these all were modded to look like Jayhawks? :)

Sather- if you could make your house and your car look like a jayhawk, would you? :)

Why am I not surprised that these all were modded to look like Jayhawks? :)

Sather- if you could make your house and your car look like a jayhawk, would you? :)
It would be difficult to model the house+car+jayhawk combo, nevertheless I believe someone here would make it fly.

Thread brings this to mind;
Why Chess Fans Hate the Movies
From backwards boards to king-flipping, Hollywood just cannot get chess right.
by Cara Giaimo March 17, 2017
... But these are merely occasional grievances. There’s one group of experts who
can barely flip on the television without being exposed to egregious,
head-on-desk mistakes: chess players.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/bad-chess-scenes-movies-tv

Back