Guide lugs for Initiator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketdoctor99

Reaction score
I have an assembled Aerotech initiator that someone gifted to my 4h club. The one part that was missing is the launch Rod guide. for my A-E rockets I just glue on straws for my launch pad. How would I make launch guides for this. I see it had slots for ones but I didn't get it?

I have an assembled Aerotech initiator that someone gifted to my 4h club. The one part that was missing is the launch Rod guide. for my A-E rockets I just glue on straws for my launch pad. How would I make launch guides for this. I see it had slots for ones but I didn't get it?

Take a slightly over 1/4 inch inner diameter tube (such as the tube on a disposable Bic pen), cut off 2 one inch long segments, wrap in masking tape (for adhesion), cut off excess tape, clean the cut (so the rod goes through easily), then either glue on small pieces of wood that match the slots in the tube and glue the lugs onto the rocket or just glue them ont the rocket. Make a fillet.

You can also wrap the pen tube in tape before cutting.

EDIT: The launch lugs (launch guides) on the initiator are square, so that might be confusing. They're gray in color. (I'm not sure if the instructions mention that the shape.)

Last edited:
one could make replicas using 1/32" ply...don't know that I would, probably would use either 1/4" lugs or 5/16" brass and paper over the slots.
Rex

One could purchase replacements for about two bucks.

+1 on this- they're hard to find in the catalog, but look up aerotech's number on their website (aerotechrocketry.com) and ask for replacement lugs. I've had to do this on a few of my mpr birds that got damaged by the movers.

Acme rail guilds unless you really are dedicated to rods. I personally don't like rod whip on larger birds like this. Use as large a rod you have (obviously 1/2" is overkill) and a thin wall brass or alaly tube trimmed down. You can nest the tube if the slot has already had the die-cut removed then add fillets to fair them in. I've built a half dozen of these and the last I glassed after taping the inside with adhesive tape and adding a little thick CA over the outline on the outside and sanding it flush. Don't expect them to live well above mach using the plastic fins. You can replace those with G10 the same thickness as the 'fin-lock' ring gaps and fillet them in. Please don't ask why I waste my time like this- I don't know either!

Acme rail guilds unless you really are dedicated to rods. I personally don't like rod whip on larger birds like this. Use as large a rod you have (obviously 1/2" is overkill) and a thin wall brass or alaly tube trimmed down. You can nest the tube if the slot has already had the die-cut removed then add fillets to fair them in. I've built a half dozen of these and the last I glassed after taping the inside with adhesive tape and adding a little thick CA over the outline on the outside and sanding it flush. Don't expect them to live well above mach using the plastic fins. You can replace those with G10 the same thickness as the 'fin-lock' ring gaps and fillet them in. Please don't ask why I waste my time like this- I don't know either!

This is a good point, and I advocated the lugs because this sounds like they're launching on their own (without a club), but that is a bad assumption. I keep both lugs and buttons on my MPR that I still intend to launch on my own at the park on MPR motors with the fam using the Aerotech GSE. The buttons permit larger motors when I'm hanging with the club.

So what i got from this thread is if I can find a plastic or brass tube that will fit launch rod I can wrap it in masking tape and glue to my rocket (with fillets) and that will work? Launch is in two weeks not sure if I have time to buy replacement guides but will try. thanks!

PM me with your addy and I'll send you a set from an Initiator-I never use 'em anyway. No charge. Don't know why I didn't think of that first.

you don't need to wrap them with tape. I've got an old PML rocket that used brass tubes for 1/4" rods. I just roughed it up with course sandpaper and epoxied it to the BT. 14 years later they are still there.

you don't need to wrap them with tape. I've got an old PML rocket that used brass tubes for 1/4" rods. I just roughed it up with course sandpaper and epoxied it to the BT. 14 years later they are still there.
AHA! I need your expert opinion. I have an old Black Brant over 2 decades old (23-25?) I keep threatening to fly again with rail guides after I peel the brass rod guides off. Do you think the epoxy may have gotten brittle with age? This thing last flew with a single use K-250 and lived to tell the tale but it's a little tired and desert dirty. I can't figure out why I'm ashamed to have rockets older than half the fliers out there, but this one is a perfect example of the late 80's early 90's kinda birds we flew. I'll stick a gentle "J" in it just for grins, but what do you think-shred or cert?

You probably don't need to peel the old rod guides off, just put the new rail guides on a different side. This doesn't sound like a HiPro bird that needs a minimum drag.

It should be just fine, especially with a "gentle" J.

Back