NSL 2017 registration is now open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about launch site... I see the map... very nice... I see the spaces for onsite camping.

Wonder about pop ups on the flight line don't see any in the photos. Are pop ups allowed, I use as my launch HQ?

Yes, pop ups/easy ups are allowed. In the actual parking lot, the parking rows will be defined but not the individual parking spaces. We don't expect to fill up the entire parking lot, so a personal vehicle with a shade canopy (or an RV) can take up two parking "spots" end-to-end. The individual parking spaces are only drawn in for scale.

The designated "onsite camping" area along the south fence line is primarily intended for those who might want to tent camp (we had two or three such campers for NSL 2010). Those who plan to camp on site in their RV's can simply pick a spot in one of the parking rows.

Yes, pop ups/easy ups are allowed. In the actual parking lot, the parking rows will be defined but not the individual parking spaces. We don't expect to fill up the entire parking lot, so a personal vehicle with a shade canopy (or an RV) can take up two parking "spots" end-to-end. The individual parking spaces are only drawn in for scale.

The designated "onsite camping" area along the south fence line is primarily intended for those who might want to tent camp (we had two or three such campers for NSL 2010). Those who plan to camp on site in their RV's can simply pick a spot in one of the parking rows.

Thanks, can one pitch their tent behind their popup in the parkings spots?

Thanks, can one pitch their tent behind their popup in the parkings spots?

While folks will be allowed to pitch a tent behind their popup in the parking lot if they wish, we reserved the space along the south fenceline because it will be less dusty there. The main parking area will start to get pretty dusty by Monday morning from people walking back and forth and vehicles coming and going. We don't have any camping police that will force people to do their tent camping next to the fenceline, however! ;-)

Last edited:
Friday's schedule list range setup... what time do launches start on Friday?

No launching on Friday -- Holloman AFB won't allow us to launch within their air space on a weekday that isn't a federal holiday. We have range setup on the schedule so that folks who are planning to camp out in their RV or in a tent will know that the range will be accessible at that time if they want to pick out a spot and set up their base of operations for the weekend on Friday. The range will be accessible all day Friday, but with the Sunspot Solar Observatory tour in the afternoon and the social in the evening, the best time to find staff members at the range to answer questions or provide assistance will be in the morning.

Thanks, John.

Registration has been open for just over a week, and we already have people registered from the states of Washington, Wyoming, California, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, and Alabama. And a vendor coming from Georgia! It's already looking like we're going to have a fun group of flyers!

Thanks, John.

Registration has been open for just over a week, and we already have people registered from the states of Washington, Wyoming, California, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, and Alabama. And a vendor coming from Georgia! It's already looking like we're going to have a fun group of flyers!

Who's the Alabama flyer? Maybe I know him :)

Is there a map showing directions / distance from the hotel to the launch site?

There WAS a map on the NSL website; however, I don't see it now. I've asked our webmaster to add it to the site; in the meantime, here is the map:Alamogordo map.jpg

Sharon and I registered yesterday, but I noticed there might be other fliers from Arizona?
We are planning on driving out on Thursday and finding an overnight campsite for our 26 ft. toy hauler, any suggestions?

A number of us SARA folks are going. Hope to see you there! Looking forward to the night flights as usual. Planning on flying the Solar Flare at the night launch on a K1275 Redline and a new tube fin night rocket that I am currently building. Hopefully we can get an active night launch going as it is always fun to see what great designs people come up with.

Last edited:
There WAS a map on the NSL website; however, I don't see it now. I've asked our webmaster to add it to the site; in the meantime, here is the map: (removed)

That is an old map. You can't access the site from the Alamotero Rd entrance (washed out and no longer graded, plus fenced off).

That is an old map. You can't access the site from the Alamotero Rd entrance (washed out and no longer graded, plus fenced off).

That is not an old map; it's a map that I drew 6 months ago by tracing a current Google Earth image. It doesn't show Alamotero Rd going all the way to the launch site. It shows the road ending at the locked gate half a mile east of the launch site. I only drew the road in for reference. I could eliminate some of that road to avoid confusion, however -- I need to update the map anyway to show where the museum warehouse is. I drew the map before the tours were approved.

Besides, some people may want to use Alamotero Rd. for rocket recovery. The prevailing wind is out of the west/southwest, but if anytime during NSL weekend we have a breeze trending more from the northwest, and a HPR rocket has a recovery glitch and the main parachute deploys at apogee instead of the drogue, then the rocket may come down in the vicinity of Alamotero Rd. and the rocketeer may elect to have someone drive around (via the reliever route) to Alamotero Rd. to pick them up rather than walk all the way back with their rocket. Showing that road on the map shows that there is a passable road (up to the locked gate) that can be used for rocket recovery. Over the years we have had a fair number of contest rockets drift in the direction of Alamotero Rd.

Last edited:
A number of us SARA folks are going. Hope to see you there! Looking forward to the night flights as usual. Planning on flying the Solar Flare at the night launch on a K1275 Redline and a new tube fin night rocket that I am currently building. Hopefully we can get an active night launch going as it is always fun to see what great designs people come up with.

I don't have the rules posted to the NSL website yet, but we are planning an upscale contest, and if your high power night launch Solar Flare is the same one I saw entered in the upscale contest at NARAM 57 in Tucson in 2015, then it's exactly what we had in mind for this contest, and you're welcome to enter it in the contest.

Yes, it is the same Solar Flare that was at NARAM 57 but with a lot more LED's on it now. :)
I will certainly consider it for the contest.

Yes, it is the same Solar Flare that was at NARAM 57 but with a lot more LED's on it now. :)
I will certainly consider it for the contest.

More LED's??? Good grief, you're going to ruin everyone's night vision! ;-)

Only one family from SARA registered so far (Crampton).

Back