The Simple Circuit - Raven Expansion Board Beta Test Request

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Hello TRF’ers!

Landru and I are looking for three beta testers for the Simple Circuit, the easiest and quickest way to wire your Raven altimeter. The Simple Circuit replicates the common terminal of the Raven altimeter and creates dedicated terminal blocks for the battery, switch, and four output channels.

The Simple Circuit allows you to do the following:

• Remove the guesswork that comes with wiring the stock Raven, just place the header pins inside the Raven terminals and tighten!
  • Easily use your preferred arming method and battery
  • Permanently install the Simple Circuit in each of your rockets to quickly swap one Raven amongst several rockets

To apply to become a Beta tester please send an email to [email protected] containing the following information:

1. Your TRA/NAR number and certification level
  2. Your Raven’s serial number and model (1, 2, or 3)
  3. Your rocket club and launch opportunities over the next 2 months
  4. Your intended flight application and what events will be controlled by the Raven (dual deploy, staging, etc.)

We’ll leave applications open for 1 week and inform those selected very soon after. You will be provided with a Beta Simple Circuit board, mounting hardware for the Raven and Simple Circuit, and a drilling guide. We are predicting product availability for sale by LDRS (April 2017) and they will be available through www.additiveaerospace.com.

Thank you for your interest!

Dan and Andrew

LwULQZjl.jpg

7vsj515l.jpg

Looks like a great product. Any idea on the expected cost for the board?

Isn't this a smaller version of Featherweight's Power Perch?

It's similar in that it simplifies the wiring, but it's very different. This permits you to use your own battery and switch/twist-wire versus the Perch which limits you to their battery and the magnetic switch.

[*]Remove the guesswork that comes with wiring the stock Raven, just place the header pins inside the Raven terminals and tighten!

What guesswork? Did yours not come with the wiring diagram?

What guesswork? Did yours not come with the wiring diagram?

It did, but I feel that the process of expanding the terminals to pairs is a time consuming process that consumes a lot of space inside of an altimeter bay. This board allows you to attach pairs of wires to the Raven without euro terminals or twisting wires together. It also provides convenient, dedicated terminals for the battery and the switch...no wiring diagram necessary.

We decided to innovate by simplifying.

Niiiiiiiiice, Will certainly keep my eyes open when it becomes available and pickup a couple. My opportunities to fly are sparse hence I am not able to volunteer to beta test. Kurt

Make it a kit, looks simple enough for people to solder up.

This is a product release, not a suggestion box.

At $25.00 for the product, how much do you want the "kit" to cost?

I am confused, you first scold me for making a suggestion, then in the next line you ask me to make a suggestion.

I was just thinking many people on this forum enjoy building stuff as much as flying stuff. Feeding that enjoyment by offering a modest discount for self assembly would be a win-win.

I am confused, you first scold me for making a suggestion, then in the next line you ask me to make a suggestion.

I was just thinking many people on this forum enjoy building stuff as much as flying stuff. Feeding that enjoyment by offering a modest discount for self assembly would be a win-win.

Don't be confused, it was crystal clear sarcasm.

This is a product release, not a suggestion box.

I would still pay $25 if it was a kit I had to solder myself. Recently bought the eggfinder gps kits off cris erving and enjoyed assembling them.

Looks to be <$5 in parts in modest volume....so $10-12 for the kit....no way more than $15.
Personally think $25 is too much for this as there isn't anything but a tiny PCB, the 90-degree pin header and a couple of terminal blocks.

Looks to be <$5 in parts in modest volume....so $10-12 for the kit....no way more than $15.
Personally think $25 is too much for this as there isn't anything but a tiny PCB, the 90-degree pin header and a couple of terminal blocks.

Thanks Fred!

We have 2/3 Beta testers identified at this time. Still looking for a third!

Thanks for the interest!

Test report:

Flew it in a 4" Jart. Nothing spectacular to report about the flight.

The part I liked about it was I put together a Raven Av-bay sled in about 10 min. Used my preferred battery and switch.

This product is all about the convenience and the fact that the "other" offering requires a magnetic switch operation and a specific battery.

I for one have already placed a pre-order for 6 of these and I will gladly pay the asking price.

If you are someone who doesn't mind the shared terminals on the Raven or can deal with the magnetic switch of a Perch, this isn't for you, this is for the other 99% of Raven users. (% joke)

I for one have wished a product like this existed long ago. If I had the means, skills, time and ability, I would have invented it.

I have several Ravens and a couple of Power Perches. The magnetic switch is nice for 'holeless' installations but what I like is the standardized wiring scheme of 2 terminals per ematch rather than the common + of the normal Raven config. The bigger terminal blocks also make it easier to use larger gauge wire. So I like the idea of this product allowing me to have a standard wiring setup with large gauge wire. Even better that the part can stay in the A/V bay and I can just plug in the Raven. My A/V sled can be completely wired up and ready to go, just add altimeter.

I don't think the kit suggestion was out of line, we all like building things.

I've bought a number of $25 magnetic switches which some think are crazy overpriced. But they solve a problem for me so I'm happy to pay the price. And the cost of the individual components is immaterial. For such a small market item the price for this item seems within reason.

I'll probably end up buying at least 1 for a new build for BALLS, probably more once I get a chance to work with it. Good to see developers making such specific products for our hobby. Thanks for that.

Tony

I'd be TOTALLY up for one (or more) of these

I have used the raven in the past and HATED wiring the thing.. i ALWAYS built my own board for connections to make it simpler. (KISS IT)

great item I look forward to these being available..

Any news on when these might be available, or the ability to take a "pre-order?" I'm interested. While I've got a couple of Power Perches, and they have their own advantages, I'm not crazy about the magnetic switches. I look forward to this as another option.

Mark

Any news on when these might be available, or the ability to take a "pre-order?" I'm interested. While I've got a couple of Power Perches, and they have their own advantages, I'm not crazy about the magnetic switches. I look forward to this as another option.

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the interest! We have ordered all of the parts for our first run and plan to have them available by the end of March. Waiting for the PCB's to come in before we can start assembling!

We will be sure to make a formal announcement when they are available and will provide a direct link to where you can buy them. As tempted as I am to do a pre-sale I believe in selling only what you have available to ship.

I like this idea. Even with the expansion board, the Raven is still a tiny package.

I also like the all-in-one PowerPerch. For $35, you also get a magnetic switch, magnet, battery, and some hardware to secure the alt and battery. $25 just for terminal blocks may be pushing it?

Back