Computer Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave carver

....what hump?
Reaction score
Ok, how do I fix this:

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The problem is this pops up when I try to go to Outlook and the More Information button doesn't really help.

With the little info provided, it's most likely nothing you can do as a user of the website. It's not really an error, it's a warning that the certificate is expired, not verifiable, etc.. You probably need to report it to the administrator of the website you're using so they can get the certificate updated.

It could be several things:

1) The certificate is expired
2) The certificate signing authority has revoked the cert
3) The certificate was signed using an out-of-date encryption method
4) IE just being a butt and doesn't wanna work
5) "Other"

I would hazard to guess that the issue is probably 3. If you give me the exact URL, I can use a browser I have to try and get more information and narrow down exactly what the issue is.

-Aaron

It could be several things:

1) The certificate is expired
2) The certificate signing authority has revoked the cert
3) The certificate was signed using an out-of-date encryption method
4) IE just being a butt and doesn't wanna work
5) "Other"

I would hazard to guess that the issue is probably 3. If you give me the exact URL, I can use a browser I have to try and get more information and narrow down exactly what the issue is.

-Aaron
6) All of the above

It's Microsoft Outlook, my email. There's a couple of buttons that say to go onto the site or leave. I need to see my email so of course I click in. With my luck things are going to crash any tome now....

I don't have THE answer, how about this:

Close everything. Power off/power on.

Outlook is your email client. Who is your email provider ? Contact them.

Hope that helps some.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has added IE into everything they do. Outlook has IE embedded into it. It is so that it can render emails with web pages in them easier/better/faster/worse/not-at-all. This has lead to several issues and vulnerabilities in the past. I would make sure that you're using the latest Outlook client possible. This *should* fix any issues with HTML enabled emails that the embedded version of IE can't handle. If it doesn't or upgrading isn't an option, you could try a different email client or the Web based version of Outlook, Office365.

Good luck!

-Aaron

Ah sticks mah quarter in an it supposed to work....

That's the level of my computer expertise. I'm doing the best I can with what you have told me but.....

While in Outlook, click on help - about and tell me the version and if it says 32bit or 64bit. I'll give you a link to download the latest version of Outlook from that.

-Aaron

What Operation System are you Running. You are getting the error due to you computer not being able to determine the validity of the certificate presented, or it believes the certificate is not Valid.

If it's Windows XP, you are probably out of luck.

Windows 7 without windows updates would not get trusted root updates via current methods.

Newer windows build should get trusted roots automatically, but still need access to windows update site.

Do you have anything that might block this?

Sorry I disappeared there, I needed a nap...

Windows 7 64 bit and did the up-date. A maybe unrelated problem was my Security Essential was turning itself off every day at about the same time. I added AVG free, at least it's staying up. I run Glary Utilities, Malwarebytes, nothing comes up. If I don't refresh the browser sometimes it takes me right to Outlook.

Forgot to add, after the initial workaround as long as I don't refresh the browser I go right in without the certificate thingie.

IE and that's the only thing it says. Now, as it's Outlook, wouldn't the administrator be Microsoft?

What website are we talking about? Is it when you try to access your email? Who is you email provider.

Had a similar issue late last year using road runner email- they had an older type of certificate, which no longer worked with my iOS devices.

Sorry I disappeared there, I needed a nap...

Windows 7 64 bit and did the up-date. A maybe unrelated problem was my Security Essential was turning itself off every day at about the same time. I added AVG free, at least it's staying up. I run Glary Utilities, Malwarebytes, nothing comes up. If I don't refresh the browser sometimes it takes me right to Outlook.

Are you using the Outlook Web client or the Outlook thick client (software actually installed on your PC, as part of Office)

-Aaron

[email protected] and I guess Web client. Honest, guys, most of this I have no clue, really. I start reading the words and it starts looking like Chinese. Some things I know about but I'm a hardware guy. I built this rig from an old Core2 to a Core2 Quad 2.66, it's pretty fast. Like I said above I have Win 7 Pro 64 and I'm on cable internet.

Since it is the Web Client, then what really matters is your Web Browser. In this case it's IE (Internet Explorer). You've already ran the auto-update process which should update IE to the latest patched version for your version of Windows. If the problem continues, it is more than likely an issue with the web server which Microsoft runs. You could try a different Browser like FireFox or Chrome and it may work or may not. If you do, I would recommend FireFox as it is more forgiving on server errors and misconfigurations and it more customizable. Chrome would more than likely be faster. As a long term fix, I would recommend moving off of Microsoft Live email and moving to Google GMail. Just less issues with GMail over-all.

-Aaron

As long as I don't have to change email address...what a pain in the ass. I'll most likely give FireFox a shot. Worse I could do is crash everything :p

Back