Shipping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
RANT: Went to Balsa USA (after reading about them in another thread, didn't know they existed) and tried to order 6, 1/8" x 1/4" x 24" Basswood stick so I might get my rocket done for the contest.
Came to 1.98 for the sticks.
And...15.98 for shipping!
Come on, really? WTF?
I mean, errr!!!
I want to throw something through a window! (But not mine)

RANT: Went to Balsa USA (after reading about them in another thread, didn't know they existed) and tried to order 6, 1/8" x 1/4" x 24" Basswood stick so I might get my rocket done for the contest.
Come on, really? WTF?
I mean, errr!!!

You can get a 5 pack of 1/8 by 1/4 by 24 basswood sticks at hobby lobby, comes to $1.80 (plus tax) with the coupon.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H..."-x-1/4"-x-24"-5-Pack-Basswood-Strips/p/72074

Come on, really? WTF?
I mean, errr!!!

It's minimum these days for packages over a certain size, it's the 24" thing that's killing everyone. What I don't understand is I ordered a new keyboard and it's coming from China. Shipping was $2.39...that's the part that's hard to understand :p

Most US shippers changed their dimensional shipping measurements 4-5 years ago and I think if any dimension of the box is over 18-20" now it ships as if it were a much heavier item.

For something like that, they should have used a shipping tube. USPS has another rate it uses for shipping tubes that is much more reasonable.

Then there are the places that mark up their shipping stupid amounts instead of spreading out costs of packaging, etc., across all of their sales.

Most US shippers changed their dimensional shipping measurements 4-5 years ago and I think if any dimension of the box is over 18-20" now it ships as if it were a much heavier item.

For something like that, they should have used a shipping tube. USPS has another rate it uses for shipping tubes that is much more reasonable.

Then there are the places that mark up their shipping stupid amounts instead of spreading out costs of packaging, etc., across all of their sales.

A lot of times you can get a whole lot of stuff for the minimum shipping price.

I had a postal worker give me a bunch of crap because I had one of those flat-rate Postal boxes that bulged a bit from overstuffing the box with bubble wrap. He goes, "That's a flat rate box, it's supposed to be flat...." . I looked at him with as much incredulity as I could, pick up the pen sitting there and proceeded to stab the box multipul times deflating the bubble wrap.

He accepted the box after that ;)

A lot of times you can get a whole lot of stuff for the minimum shipping price.

I had a postal worker give me a bunch of crap because I had one of those flat-rate Postal boxes that bulged a bit from overstuffing the box with bubble wrap. He goes, "That's a flat rate box, it's supposed to be flat...." . I looked at him with as much incredulity as I could, pick up the pen sitting there and proceeded to stab the box multipul times deflating the bubble wrap.

He accepted the box after that ;)

They have claimed "if it fits, it ships". That doesn't preclude bulging boxes in my interpretation...

The keyboard from China is a great example- I've bought a lot of electronic components (resistors, caps, ICs etc) from China and Hong Kong via eBay with free shipping on a $0.80 part. It takes forever to get here, of course, but it does get here. I'm not sure how these companies stay in business?

The keyboard from China is a great example- I've bought a lot of electronic components (resistors, caps, ICs etc) from China and Hong Kong via eBay with free shipping on a $0.80 part. It takes forever to get here, of course, but it does get here. I'm not sure how these companies stay in business?

I've heard the China Post is massively subsidized, that's the only way I know they could keep it up.

I've ordered quite a bit from Balsa USA. An entire 1/4 scale R/C aircraft in fact. They're great if you need to specify a specific grain or density as well. You're no going to find C-grain 4lb contest balsa at your LHS.

For th e massive order for the airplane, I probably also paid about $15 shipping. Again, minimum shipping for long boxes is in effect here.

Back