Economics of single use vs reloadables?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hazmat on a CTI or DMS is significant cost, if you dont have an onsite vendor some 29mm AT hardware is a must.

One other price advantage the 29mm strategy has is that motor retainers like Estes costs alot less than others also.

Estes 29mm retainers + AT 29/40-120 = gateway drug.

DO IT!

Something PSII-sized flying on $12 G64 loads is a whole lotta bang for the buck.

No pun intended.

Something PSII-sized flying on $12 G64 loads is a whole lotta bang for the buck.

No pun intended.

PSII eh? Hmm...do you think sticking a G78 in a Playstation 2 would void the warrenty? It'd make a solid Oddroc.....

I want to get a 29/40-120, in addition to a couple Pro29 sizes. But If I want to fly a full (160 N-s) Aerotech G, that means I'd have to buy a set of RMS29 stuff also....

Try an L1090. RMS version of the L1000. Whole lotta fun!

The 2800 is the only case I don't already have in the AT-54s. I find it odd that in this instance the RMS L1090 and the DMS L1000 have the same retail price of $199.99. The L1000 even has an extra few (43) N/s than the L1090.

If I had the 2800 case I would side for the RMS, but in this instance (54mm MD that got to 14K on a K550) there is a decent chance this bird isn't coming home. This is where I think the value lies in the DMS, i.e. rockets that you stand a better than average chance of losing, or in clusters where buying lots of the same case for a specific flight can be made unnecessary.

I come at it from a different direction. I go to maybe 3-5 launch days each year, two of which are over a weekend. I'm also usually helping students get ready to fly and/or wanting to watch other flights, so minimal prep time and attention needed during prep is a big plus. I favor LMS/DMS/CTI for those reasons.

PSII eh? Hmm...do you think sticking a G78 in a Playstation 2 would void the warrenty? It'd make a solid Oddroc.....

I want to get a 29/40-120, in addition to a couple Pro29 sizes. But If I want to fly a full (160 N-s) Aerotech G, that means I'd have to buy a set of RMS29 stuff also....

You say that like it's a bad thing? :) I have two 40-120 sets and a RMS180 set as well for my 29mm birds. It's nice getting three flights in per day without having to clean and load another motor. However, if I want to get in more flying, it really doesn't take very long to clean and reload these cases.

Last edited:
I'm using the AT DMS motors while the CTI "drought" is underway. I have lots of CTI cases (29mm - 98mm)... :wink:

FWIW, using the RMS give you good practice for flying larger stuff (98mm). Even CTI's 98mm assemble like an AT RMS.

Back