Upgrading a Blackstar Voyager (Krenim Timeship theme)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice swag!

Turns out Huntsville is a strategic place to be.
I volunteered to help with the Student Launch this weekend, and now I have a bunch of cool stuff!

I want to say Nasa TV is broadcasting the launch ton Saturday (8am till no more rockets are left :) )

Finally enough progress to post about.

Masking!
IMG_20170328_205233389_HDR.jpg
Paint and vinyl!
IMG_20170328_210352147.jpgIMG_20170414_184009820.jpgIMG_20170414_213737977.jpg
More masking! (glad I saved all that brown packing paper)
IMG_20170414_231637884.jpg

That's coming along nicely.
:clap:
Brown packing paper... Man, I can remember when you went to the grocery store and they gave you brown paper bags for your groceries! All the free masking paper you could want!

That's coming along nicely.
:clap:
Brown packing paper... Man, I can remember when you went to the grocery store and they gave you brown paper bags for your groceries! All the free masking paper you could want!

Oh, c'mon! I'm still a kid compared to most of the users here and I remember paper bags!

Well, I haven't seen brown paper bags in a grocery store in 20+ years. But then, I don't shop in the smaller Mom & Pop stores or local chains either.

Picked up some 3D parts from a local printer. I think this is the start of a profitable partnership.

My wagon wheel weight attachment was one of those pieces. The 10-24 nut fits great, it wedges into the nosecone well, and the epoxy grooves plus some nosecone interior scoring should lock the thing into place permanently.

IMG_20170417_184207142.jpgIMG_20170417_184217438.jpgIMG_20170417_193459354.jpg

I need to get more tape to finish the last set of masking

And I am just about ready to be done with this paintjob.
Tape will come off tomorrow, and then it'll likely sit to cure until I'm back from work travels, so I can put the clear coat on it. If I'm on the ball, I'll attach the shockcord before I leave.

IMG_20170419_205836115.jpg

That's already way more masking than my ADD would allow me. Nice work!

That's already way more masking than my ADD would allow me. Nice work!

It'll be nice to have it done and sitting pristinely undamaged for a few weeks before I do something unpleasant to it at a launch! It was also a great way to pause my rocket spending cuz I didn't want to buy a new project or equipment until it was done (and then ordering a Cruiser from Loc kind of killed that strategy.....I plead extenuating circumstances)

Looks like you can wrestle the ADD into focus at times, cuz you've got some great projects under your belt! (and I've never seen someone cut open a parts bag so carefully and precisely as you do in your videos :cool:)

Last masking, then its done. I swear!

Trying to recreate some of the lattice structure on the timeship.

IMG_20170420_233617223_HDR.jpg

And thats a wrap folks!
Parachute and cord are attached to the transition, hole is taped shut to resist ejection gas, and the trifold is in the forward BT-60 Barrel. I'm thinking of layering a spare piece of BT-60 over the mount once its dry, but that can wait till I get back from travel.

Its been 1 month building, 1 month finishing, and I guess a month balancing and flight testing!

IMG_20170421_181711733_HDR.jpgIMG_20170421_181732319_HDR.jpgIMG_20170421_181759873_HDR.jpg

Will return with flight prep....in the future?

Just discovered a picture of the Greystar in flight on BillsRocket's blog! Flying at our local low power field 3 months ago (which we are losing because Blue Origin bought the field for their Vulcan factory....)

Allen_Cosmic_Explorer_F30_2018Sep29.jpg

Beautiful. Did it cone at all on the way up? I saw one video somewhere online where a BSV where it coned quite a bit. Looked a lot like the flight of my Starship Avalon.

I admire the willingness to fly that thing. :)

Thanks!

No, the F32 gave it a good kick to keep it straight, but it was such a good kick that it immediately drag separated on burnout. I need to tighten up the transition point (which makes sense as it was never meant to separate at that point anyway. Seems to be a theme with my rockets)

Found another old picture of the Greystar voyager.

I'm thinking this is the flight it drag separated and zippered slightly

Blackstar.jpg

Back