Speaking of T5 size Micro Downscales.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While i'm working on the Cosmic Cluster I thought I'd start another of two "Back burner projects" that involved making a Bunch of Tiny tubes. Haven't really gone all that far but thought Since we've been talking about Paper and Cardstock building this sort of fits right in. Still using a standard BT-5 for the main body tube with a 14mm slip-over external tube detail to be discussed later.

This photo shows the finished T2+ motor mount ready for the beading wire Shockcord anchor and kevlar shockline.
Have to turn a Basswood Cone for this one and I'm still considering what material will be used for the fins.

3xxa-cp01a_ tiny tubes around T2+ MMT_07-30-10.JPG

Vacuum bagged balsa is very strong and still light. I would recommend having someone bag you some 1/16 balsa with 1.2oz glass. .75 glass doesn't bag as well because it wont hold resin consistently. I made fins using carbon plate I have bagged myself from cloth but balsa and glass is a much lighter way to go.

Paul

Nah! These two we'll use 1/32" Basswood, both models have fairly large strange or oddly shaped fins. Might add tracing vellum but that will be about as hi-tech as these fins will go.

Nah! These two we'll use 1/32" Basswood, both models have fairly large strange or oddly shaped fins. Might add tracing vellum but that will be about as hi-tech as these fins will go.

Boy are you getting closer and closer to the Paper stuff. It seems like you are torn between high tech methods and low tech methods.

Paul

Boy are you getting closer and closer to the Paper stuff. It seems like you are torn between high tech methods and low tech methods.

Paul

Not at all Paul:
I'm one of those who'll use whatever technique works best for the intended application. On funky designs with a fin profile that lends itself to landing damage or breaking, I'll often add a reinforcing layer of tissue or tracing vellum rather then heavy paper. Sometimes if the fin design is particularly suspect a recovery bridle will also be added to bring the model down horizontally.
Papering fins has been a Very LOW TECH addition to complex or strange fin profile's since the 60's.

The High Rag content tracing vellum I use is onion skin thin yet very strong this adds a tremendous amound of strength neglible additional mass. In this application, if It goes that way, will be as much about saving some primer sanding time as anything else.
Hope to get some addition work done on at least one of these two models sometime this week.

After a very long sit on the back burner this model has finally gotten at least to the semi-constructed stage LOL!
Still have a few more detail parts to add and I've switched the fins to .020" styrene to avoid any potential landing damage. Turned Basswood nosecone still has to be hollowed out as well so it'll be spring for sure before she's ready to go on patrol...

Perhap the Dragonship will not be too far behind...humm that one hasn't even been started:)

Edit:
Well I just noticed something irritating! I goofed...OH man did I! the Wing fins are in the wrong position DOH! Gonna have to remover them and repositon... Gotta pay more attention to my own instructions LOL!!!! sheesh!

MM 373uc01a_Patrol Crusier EXCALIBUR Sideview_02-06-11.JPG

MM 373uc01b_Excalibur side-top view_02-06-11.JPG

MM 373uc02_Excalibur Top-RR view_02-06-11.JPG

MM 373uc03_Excalibur LR view_02-06-11.JPG

Last edited:
Changed the Wing/fin location, added the LL's and final details on the Excalibur. Ready for some primer, maybe this week, we're supposed to get a couple days in the 60's.

MM 373uc04_reposition wings_02-08-11.JPG

MM 373uc05_Excalibur base const done_02-11-11.JPG

MM 373uc06_Excalibur LRear _02-11-11.JPG

did get the first 3 primer coats on the Excalibur last night. I'm currently using an .88 super cheap grey auto primer from Walmart colorPlace I believe is the brand. while not a High build primer like Duplacolor it's a LOT cheaper and seems to be working pretty well filling Bodytube seams and Balsa/basswood grain. my only objection to the stuff is it has a 4hour or 7 day recoat messsage. i've scrap tested a few pieces ignoring this 7 day rating using the Nose test. As long as it's completely odor free I haven't had a lifting problem with Old formula Krylon, Rustoleum or One-shot paints.

I plan on starting the sanding process this evening for all three models in the Micro paint line;MM Excalibur,MM ASM & MM eac rockets.

didn't take any pics of the primered models I'll try to remember to take one before I start sanding.

Excalibur was sanded down over the weekend, on monday it got a got of banner Red krylon.
sorry pics of the model in red are still in the camera but thought I'd add these of the primed model anyway.

also started building it's counterpart Dragon ship 7, that'll be another thread I think.

MM 373uc07_Excalibur Primed_02-18-11.JPG

Got the shakey red photo out of the camera. really doesn't do justice to the gloss of Krylon old formula Banner Red.

Now the delima of weather to try to use the Inkjet waterslide rivet body wraps I layed out for this model or reprint on the Alps? I'm leaning toward the alps as i'll want to trim the colored decals right to the edge of the graphic, a no-no with inkjet printed.

Sorry the pic is a bit out of focus, I was upset with myself for rushing to paint the ASM with the same red while I had it out knowing full well the primer had not had full time to cure. I did it anyway and some of it lifted ticking me off quite a bit! Remember when finishing anything... haste almost always makes WASTE. In this case at least another couple hours of sanding, re-primering and repainting the other model. Excalibur came Out GREAT after waiting the lable directed 7 days.

Just adding a couple slightly better shots of the Banner Red finish.

MM 373uc08_Excalibur Base RED coat_02-24-11.JPG

MM 373uc08b_Excalibur Red base coat_02-25-11.JPG

MM 373uc08c_Excalibur Red underside_02-25-11.JPG

Last edited:
Decided to add Silver Paint to the Aft rocket exhaust tubes with a fine point brush. Will be adding a bit more weithering to the inside tail cone with a wash a bit later.

Time to make a decision of which decal method to use. Still leaning toward the Alps so I can remove most of the unwanted clear around the graphics.

MM 373uc09_Silver added to aft tubes_03-01-11.JPG

While all the other "under construction" micors got at least some work over the weekend, Patrol Cruiser Excalibur wasn't as lucky. After looking again at the decal sheet prepared a week or so ago. I'm just not happy with many of the lines i'm going back in to the drawing to heavy them up slightly as well as adjust the color some on the flames.
Since I still haven't printed the decals for the Dragon Ship-7 I'll likely put both on the same sheet, since they will be Alps printed.

Last edited:
After the LONG struggle with decals for this little monster....it's Finished.
Decals applied...many rivet tiny dot's decals added & applied. Body wrap decals applied...not really liked but they fit. Futured, Teflone Streamer/Wadding installed and the model swing tested indoors.
Believe it or not no additional noseweight seems to be needed.
Hope to get the model in the air next weekend if the weather cooperates?
I'll still have one more static vertical photo to take and stats to post but as far as I'm concerned this Puppy is DONE!

MM 373uc10_Patrol Crusier EXCALIBUR DONE_04-17-11.jpg

Lots of detail, very impressive!

Thanks
Not nearly as much as in the Dragon Ship-7 but this one was a bigger pain for some reason. Sorry those quicky construction pics were kind of shakey. here is the Final for this Build thread and a look at both Galactic Pirate ships side by side.

Still hoping against hope that we'll have a Launch this month so I can try to catch some liftoff pics..... but the weekend weather isn't looking to good...more rain & wind on the way:(

MM 373a_MM T5 Patrol Cruiser Excalibur_04-17-11.JPG

MM 373b_MM Excalibur & DragonShip-7 Side-Rear_04-18-11.JPG

After all this time the Patrol Cruiser EXCALIBUR has taken to the sky.
It's much quicker then I though it would be and flys quite well with no additional nose weight. Can't say the same for the Dragon ship-7 but Excalibur made a very nice majestic flight, Needs a little more sanding on the shoulder but other then that a great little flying model.
I like flying this one alot.

MM-373Lp01a_Patrol Crusier Excalibur (1st Flt)_10-22-11.jpg

MM 373Lp01b_PatrolCursierExcalibur Side(1st Flt)_10-22-11.jpg

MM 373Lp01c_PatrolCursierExcalibur in Flt(1st Flt)_10-22-11.jpg

Back