• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Alpha Hybrids Hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaHybrids

Reaction score
I've had some interest in the remaining stock of pre-filled hybrid hardware that I have. I looked through what I have an have posted a picture below. I realized that while I have the cases, nozzle, splash collars, forward closures and tanks I do not have the adapters or injectors. I also have no desire to make any more parts for these systems - I've moved on.

I'm going to clean up what I have and then post prices. I'm also going to release a PDF of dimensions and parts that make up a motor. That way someone can buy what parts they want, and then they have the resources to complete the motor.

Edward

IMG_1875[1].jpg

If the ID matches other snap ring hardware, I may be interested in some nozzles.

For clarification, these cases do not match other snap ring hardware. The case dimensions are 2.125 OD x 1.875 ID. I wanted a 0.125" wall on a 54mm sized case. Because of this the nozzle, splash collar and liners are all custom.

Edward

I'm interested in as complete of a motor as I can get (because I am lazy), but I assume most of us are interested in your IP. I'm interested in playing around with hybrids within the confines of the work that you've done to get to where your design stopped. Basically, I want to cast some fuel grains and have some fun with something a little out of the ordinary.

This is the annular injector that was posted about in the Hybrids 2017 thread.

The injector is 75mm with two o-rings grooves, the nitrous port is tapped for 1/4 NPT and it has a chamber pressure port that is tapped for 1/16 NPT. I'm including a plug for that if you don't want to use it. The injector face I've clean a bit, but it could use a good scrub or if someone had an ultrasonic cleaner that might work as well. It's cosmetic, as all the passages for nitrous are clean.

High Flow
IMG_1892.jpg

Lower Flow
IMG_1897.jpg

Injector housing, injector, snap ring and two o-rings
IMG_1900.jpg

Top of injector showing 1/4 NPT tap and 1/16 NPT chamber pressure tap with 1/16 NPT plug
IMG_1901.jpg

BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE!

Also included is the complimentary nozzle that is sized for this injector. It has a 5/8" throat. There are two dings in the nozzle shoulders, but does not effect the performance. The nozzle also has a bit of entrance cone erosion - this nozzle has 10 tests on it and a few of them were high metals.

Nozzle showing chip on shoulders from entrance cone side
IMG_1902.jpg

Nozzle showing exit cone side
IMG_1903.jpg

BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE!

The nozzle comes with the nozzle washer that was used for the firings
IMG_1904.jpg

BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE!

The injector and nozzle ALSO come with the test case (3.00") and two snap rings that were used.

THAT'S RIGHT, THIS HERE IS A COMPLETE HYBRID MOTOR CASING! YOU SUPPLY YOUR OWN PRE-FILLED NITROUS OXIDE TANK AND LET THOSE HORSES RUN!

Complete 3.00" Test Motor
IMG_1905.jpg

A couple things to note about this motor. The inside of the casing is a bit gunky - nothing that will keep the nozzle and injector from sealing, but right above the nozzle. Plexiglass/Polycarbonate did this. One good firing and cleaning while it is warm will get rid of all the gunk. This is a test motor - it does not have a thrust ring groove machined in one end of the case AND the motor is a true 3.00" outside diameter. Additionally, the liners used in this motor were 2 3/4" x 1/8" wall polycarbonate/plexiglass tubing. The injector and nozzle have shoulders that reflect this.

This motor runs best on around 2 pounds of nitrous oxide. A good fit is a 24 oz or 32 ounce CO2 tank with a valve and adapter to the tank. I used THIS style of valve that was servo actuated from an Arduino. You should decide what you want to do.

As far as liners, I'll machine some 2.5" SCH 80 PVC to fit the case and the shoulders for an additional cost.

I'm asking $125, including shipping to the USA. Liners would be extra and would have a shipping charge.

Here is the video of the first test of the motor

[video]https://youtu.be/gh_lxh5dY0Y?t=1m21s[/video]

Edward

Last edited:
I'm almost done with the PDF of CAD images for the Alpha Hardware. Any interest in the 75mm motor?

Edward

Back