Does anyone speak Swedish?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's too bad you feel that way. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from studying different languages. It has helped me appreciate the English language more, learn about different cultures and become more open minded. It has literally enriched my life.

Steve Shannon

I agree. I wish I had done more with studying languages when I was young. I learned Spanish in middle school and high school, and it was pretty easy for me to pick up at that time. In college I traveled in Mexico a few times, and it was great to be able to speak the language, although it was already getting rusty by that point.

When my wife and I went to Spain last year, I wanted to be able to speak some Spanish again, so I got a language-learning app called Duolingo and used that as much as I could before the trip. Even though it had been more than 30 years since my last Spanish lesson, it started to come back pretty quickly. I was very glad I had done it! Knowing some Spanish was really helpful on that trip. It was really interesting to me how much the language changes as you move across Spain. Each region has a different local dialect, and it's very obvious, even to a visitor speaking Spanish as a distant second language.

A few years before, we had gone to Italy, and I had spent a little bit of time with some recorded lessons. They weren't very good, but they taught me enough for some basic transactions. That turned out to be very fun and useful too. It's much harder to learn learn a new language now than it was in middle school, but Italian is similar enough to Spanish that it didn't seem coompltetly foreign.

Now that I have more time and money for travel, I regret not knowing at least a little bit of a few more languages.

I should have known better than to post in "Watering Hole" :eyeroll:

Here's my decal sheet so far:
Clipboard01.jpg

I agree. I wish I had done more with studying languages when I was young. I learned Spanish in middle school and high school, and it was pretty easy for me to pick up at that time. In college I traveled in Mexico a few times, and it was great to be able to speak the language, although it was already getting rusty by that point.

When my wife and I went to Spain last year, I wanted to be able to speak some Spanish again, so I got a language-learning app called Duolingo and used that as much as I could before the trip. Even though it had been more than 30 years since my last Spanish lesson, it started to come back pretty quickly. I was very glad I had done it! Knowing some Spanish was really helpful on that trip. It was really interesting to me how much the language changes as you move across Spain. Each region has a different local dialect, and it's very obvious, even to a visitor speaking Spanish as a distant second language.

A few years before, we had gone to Italy, and I had spent a little bit of time with some recorded lessons. They weren't very good, but they taught me enough for some basic transactions. That turned out to be very fun and useful too. It's much harder to learn learn a new language now than it was in middle school, but Italian is similar enough to Spanish that it didn't seem coompltetly foreign.

Now that I have more time and money for travel, I regret not knowing at least a little bit of a few more languages.

What THEY said! I can't explain how learning a second language has opened my eyes and impacted/enriched my life. And now my kids as well. Took my oldest to China in '13 as a graduation present, now bringing my middle girl in April as it is her turn for graduation. And going again next week for work haha.

Lol!

My understanding is that the Nordic peoples are all very similar. A Norwegian is about the same as a Swede, except the Norwegian has his brains smashed in!

Our neighborhood has the third largest 17th of May parade (Norwegian independence from Sweden) in the world, after Oslo and Bergen. It's fairly ecumenical as far as Scandinavians go, with a couple of groups of Swedes and Icelanders, etc. Many years ago, as the Swedes were passing, a little girl asked her mother what the difference between Norwegians and Swedes was. Of course, at that moment, a hush had fallen over the parade, so the question rang out over the route. The temperature dropped several degrees. The mom hastily whispered that they would talk about it later. :)

Our neighborhood has the third largest 17th of May parade (Norwegian independence from Sweden) in the world, after Oslo and Bergen.
Nah, that's Stoughton, Wisconsin, not Seattle.
It's fairly ecumenical as far as Scandinavians go, with a couple of groups of Swedes and Icelanders, etc. Many years ago, as the Swedes were passing, a little girl asked her mother what the difference between Norwegians and Swedes was. Of course, at that moment, a hush had fallen over the parade, so the question rang out over the route. The temperature dropped several degrees. The mom hastily whispered that they would talk about it later. :)

Q: What's the meanest name Swedes have for Norwegians?
A: "Mountain Monkeys"
Q: What's the meanest name Norwegians have for Swedes?
A: "Swedes"

Stoughton, WI which has a sign that reads, "Caution, Norwegian crossing next 2 Miles". :) the natives do seem friendly though.
Rex

I'm re-doing my sim of the Photon Probe... Can someone confirm the measurements of the shock cord, launch lug, and the thicknesses of the black bands on the decal sheet?
I already applied my decals so I can't get a scan.
The 1/4" elastic shock cord is around 2 feet long. The launch lug is 2-3/8" long. The black bands on the fins are 5/16" wide, 1/16" apart. The decal above the launch lug has slightly thinner bands, 1/4". And the top of the "Photon Probe" logo decal is 7/16". The new one doesn't have the decal with the technical text that the old one had near the nose cone.

I already applied my decals so I can't get a scan.
The 1/4" elastic shock cord is around 2 feet long. The launch lug is 2-3/8" long. The black bands on the fins are 5/16" wide, 1/16" apart. The decal above the launch lug has slightly thinner bands, 1/4". And the top of the "Photon Probe" logo decal is 7/16". The new one doesn't have the decal with the technical text that the old one had near the nose cone.

Thanks ayryg!

Using that info I was able to update my older version of the file. I'm a little unsure about that technical text decal you mentioned. I've looked online copies of it in the catalog and the face card, and it seems to show them.

Here's what I've been able to do:

The updated .ork file is available on my OR files thread.

Nah, that's Stoughton, Wisconsin, not Seattle.

Q: What's the meanest name Swedes have for Norwegians?
A: "Mountain Monkeys"
Q: What's the meanest name Norwegians have for Swedes?
A: "Swedes"

Sounds about right. I had a friend who grew up in a small Norwegian town in Minnesota, the kind of place where it was important which Lutheran church you went to. There was a Swede in town, and the locals would say he was Swedish, but "there's no harm in him."

I think Stoughton has the biggest festival, but Ballard has the biggest parade. Plus, my entirely unbiased local newspaper says it's the biggest, so there. :p

Last edited:
I grew up listening the Swedish super group Abba.

I can speak fluent Swedish after listening to their records repeatedly. In fact, this whole post is written in Abbas' Swedish..

We must stand with Sweden in the wake of this horrible tragedy. Stay strong Sweden! We will never forget!

They will rebuild..
It's in their nature..
It's in their blood,
And the Allen key comes free of charge.. (Along with easy to understand pictogram instructions!)

It has been a terrible blow, but I'm sure they will rebuild. It won't be long before we once again see that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen.

P2220111.jpgP2220112.jpg
Now that I look at the picture, that decal's crooked. Looks OK in person. Weird.

Back