Forward Seal Disks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
So I am building an Aerotech K550 for this weekends launch and guess what...no FSD. Yes I know where it is, it's in the garbage from the last launch when I cleaned the motor. Is it just me who forgets to take them out while pushing the liner into the trash? I swear I buy about 5 of these damn things a year! Maybe they should put a bell on it, mini-rant over.

Not just you. Maybe we should put a tape wrap, sticker or something on the motor to remind us after the fact.

Or...fly CTI! Lol, just trolling my AT friends. I fly CTI simply because I know I am not organized enough to make the fun of assembling more complex reloads reliable and reproducible outside of the 29/40-120 case!
Tape idea sounds good- could you paint the thing a bright color? Belt and suspenders approach?

Been there, done that too. I remember the moment. It was at MWP. I remember pushing the liner out right into the dumpster. Later that night, I realized my mistake, but by the time I got back to the dumpster, it was buried. Mine was a 38mm AT one that was black. I like the silver Rouse ones, or the AT ones that were gold. Even a little of those colors seemed to show through the worst motor crud.

I keep my smaller cases (29 & 38) in a plastic compartmented box. When I clean the case I put the parts away. If the seal disk compartment doesn't have enough seal disks in it I get nervous. That has helped me catch the fact that I didn't get the seal disk back a couple of times.
Unfortunately I don't have similar compartmented boxes for my 54, 75, and 98 cases. In September I threw away a 75mm seal disk. Fortunately my friend Dale Emery was keeping track and asked me about it before I got rid of the trash bag. It helps that I usually carry my trash back from the range with me instead of chucking it into the communal garbage barrel.

Steve Shannon

Been there, done that and in every size except the 98mm. Now I always keep a spare available in the range box because you never know who's going to need one. I like the Stickershock idea. How about it Mark?

What?? You mean you can re-use those things?

Yeah, I think we all have done that at least once. Some of us more than others. Luckily I take my own trash home most of the time too and most of the time I clean my cases at home any way so it isn't usually a problem any more.

Twice I retrieved front seal disks from my on-field trash bucket which I don't empty until the motor hardware is all cleaned and stored.

A missing FSD means it's time to dig through my orange Home Depot bucket/trash can. HD also sells screw on lids that I use to keep the trash under control.

I bought 3 of those seal disks last year. Can't find fing any of them!!

I have thrown them away too. I now take a plastic trash sack specifically for cleaning out motors. I don't throw the sack away until I get back home and I'm sure it doesn't contain anything.... expensive.

I have never lost one except when lost with a rocket.

That said, I almost always clean my motors as soon as they are cool enough to handle as I find doing so makes the process easier.

Back