Dumps & Dives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting here, nothing on TV, can't sleep, excess discomfort.
So what's the worst place you've ever went to eat, and was disgusted?
For me, 2 places in Grand Rapids, MI.
Worst was a Chinese place. Floor was so greasy you skate on it.
2nd worst was a Long John Silvers. Same thing, greasy floor.
Both places had terrible food. Never went back, to eat anyways.
During a remodel of the LJS, I put a new roof on.

Well, the food was good and the beer was cold, but the Indian Dinosaur Beer Hall in Taipei, Taiwan had the biggest cockroach crawl up the front of the food pickup counter that I've ever seen. It had to be four inches long and moving like it had a mission from God. I still had fun.
Then there was a Mexican restaurant that had a chip warming oven fail. I offered to fix it. They accepted and I brought my tools but when I went in the kitchen there were huge dust bunnies hanging from the greasy conduits. That time I left and never went back.

Big Chief Lodge somewhere around Truckee, California. I was a tween, and my stepfather wanted to eat there on our trip home after vacationing in Tahoe. The hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict was green... it didn't get better from there.

There's a family joke that if you complain about the food someone makes, you'll be taken out to dinner at the Big Chief Lodge.

BTW. It burned down a number of years ago. I don't know if it was rebuilt.

Last edited:
Other than being incredibly pissed when there's onions on my hamburger I can't really say that I ever ran into bad food when eating out, at least nothing stands out. Other people's kid's are the biggest problem with me. I mean who the hell takes a kid to a place where you're looking at a $100 bill for two meals and some kids are treating the place like I'm Ronald McDonald or the Burger King or something. Even though I'm a non-smoker I asked for the smoking section to cut the number of the little apes down then they make all the rest non-smoking. All that's left is eating at a bar and bar food while not bad still isn't the best. Luckily we have the West Side Drive-in, drive through heaven. Name me another drive-in where you can get a French Dip sandwich? To go with your roasted mashed potatoes' with red wine gravy? Prime Rib dinners are on the menu as well....I'm hungry....

Staying with a friend, he had a great idea of a breakfast place.. "You'll love it, it's great!!"

We drove for about a 1/2 hr to the place. We got there. A HUGE parking lot, in the middle of some industrial part of Toronto. Trucks & semis parked every where. The wife didn't see too amused, and did wonder where we were, and how "breakfast" fit into this scene.. in the middle of the parking lot was house, a building, with a sign on front "Restaurant - 24hr".. "Shirly" gave us a table and menus, and a smile. Pretty, but her pole-dancing days were long past her.. Looking around.. sure enough a sleazy truck stop.. Colleen (the wife) & the waitresses were the only women in the place. all the others were old grumpy , overworked, tired men. Beer, cigarettes, and grease permeated the air..

Don't remember the food too well. Steak & eggs seem to the be the breakfast of choice. Brian (the friend) chowed down with a smile. I probably had a basic egg, bacon toast affair, and I think Colleen had just a tea & a juice..

The worst food experience I've ever had was in Hawaii. My girlfriend at the time wanted to grab dinner before a movie so we did a quick swing through a mall food court. She convinced me that the oyster raw bar would be perfectly fine. In a food court. In a mall.

I don't recall much of the movie but food poisoning memories stay with you forever.

McDonald's food is McDonald's food, but the most disgusting McDonald's I've ever been to are any of the ones in Houma, LA! I worked at one in New Haven, IN, when I was in High School and the ones in Mobile, AL, where I live are 5 Stars compared to Houma, LA, where I work! Horribly slow service, far less than friendly staff, and they often smell like the sewer backed up in them!

I can't think of any restaurants I've eaten at in all my years that I vowed to never patron again, besides these. And I eat out a lot!

There used to be a chain of drive thrus out here called Pup'N'Taco. The tacos were adequate, but the one time I got a hamburger, I couldn't believe how bad it tasted. In fact, it was so bad, I had to take a second bite just to be sure. The burger patty had been deep-fried. Ick. Never went back.

Phil L.

I prefer to stay home and cook. We enjoy seafood tremendously and I have a favorite breakfast of toasted croissants topped with scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and chives. We also smoke a lot of salmon too. Blackened salmon with tomatillo salsa is great topped with a mixture of sour cream and a little milk just to thin things out. Salt, pepper, sugar, paprika and cayenne pepper is used as a dry rub on the salmon while the salsa consists of quartered tomatillos, horseradish, mustard seeds, garlic, rice vinegar, green hot sauce and sugar in a blender. Pour on top of salmon topped with the sour cream mixture.

Worst hamburger I ever had was at the McDonalds down on Washburn Way in Klamath Falls (not to be confused with the one on campus drive). One day they ran out of meat, and went to the local safeway (I think), and used regular hamburger meat. The way it cooked up to temperature made it taste like it was made from pure lard.

Went into a diner in Philly and hit a wall of hot greasy air - walked out. Went to a place on the bay in Va Beach and was hit by a wall of noise - walked out - was asked why I was leaving, so I told him - he says "If it's too loud, you're too old" - I told him that only applies to *MUSIC*, no whatever butt-rock those clowns were playing and that I've seen The Who live and the volume would make his little head explode.

McDonald's last year in Nova Scotia Sausage Muffin was mystery meat I have no idea what it was

Overheard at the cashier's station:

Smiling Cashier: "How was everything?"
Customer: "Well, the food wasn't too good good but the service was lousy."

OMG, your the guy that ate one of those, we heard they sold one. :lol:

that was around New Glasgow not sure without a better map , what is the mix fish and pork ? we really enjoyed the trip , nice sight seeing :)

that was around New Glasgow not sure without a better map , what is the mix fish and pork ? we really enjoyed the trip , nice sight seeing :)
Yeah it is nice country here, I think it is the same for most places though, the locals don't stop to notice it. I'm assume since you were near New Glasgow that you continued on and drove around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton? Not sure about the fish and pork though, I'm from the other end of the province, the farm region. Perhaps fish & brewis but that is usually fish and hard tac

Back