Tripoli Wisconsin- Feb 11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Ok, for real this time- I'll be at this one! I have some small EX motors to fly. Beyond that, I dunno.

Who else will be there?

Yep, I'll be there.

Doin' some testing....4" on a H550ST and a 5.5" on a K535W. Maybe a Warlock on a J600 Blue.

-Eric-

I'll be there for at least the first part of the day... need to get some ground testing done on 2 birds.

Forecast is showing some fog/ cloud deck for the launch. Might be a low altitude day? Largest I'm launching is an H234 with an altitude of 3500' or so, so I'm less worried.

Great launch today! I only got 3 flights in, as my interceptor popped it's fins loose when it landed on the ice.

I only flew once flying my Broken Arrow 54 The motor used was a Aerotech DMS H219T very nice motor. But it landed near the pad and dented the retainer ring. Judy had a large group there must have been 20 L-1 attempts not sure how many passed. Almost no wind, clouds were low but it was great to get outside for the day.

Woo, finally catching up! Been away, then occupied for too long. Thanks Justin for the great video!!!

I did take some photos at the launch...sorry for the delay.

We did some testing of 4" rockets with H550 Super Thunders...you may see this combo at this year's Rockets for Schools event in Sheboygan, WI on 5/12-13/17 https://www.rockets4schools.org/. Nice flights to about 1300'

DSC_0068_zps8j7djpdw.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsubjwo4to.jpg

DSC_0070e_zpstonrht1d.jpg

Eric B successfully achieved his L2 flight with his new Bruiser on an Aerotech J425R. So, so happy for him! Well done, sir!

DSC_0097_zps12kzjkmk.jpg

DSC_0103_zpscqezu72k.jpg

Watching the ascent at the LCO table:

DSC_0106_zpssk8opp1m.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsl4osdhkm.jpg

One more of the boost...this bird flew twice on the J425R that day!

DSC_0077_zpsfpzc97gt.jpg

The Northwestern U group flew what seemed like 50 L1 cert flights! All Wildman Sports on Aerotech H115 Dark Matters. Last time I checked in with Judy they had 15 new certified flyers and counting!

DSC_0079_zpss0tv267p.jpg

Dave Barber and crew were on-hand for the festivities. They hauled out a Warlock with a Gorilla I462 White Cloud.

DSC_0080_zps97au1luo.jpg

DSC_0084_zpsjo0z8eet.jpg

DSC_0085_zps09jljcym.jpg

Tom C. flew his Loc Expediter on a CTI I180 Skid.

DSC_0094_zps3tv89q3r.jpg

Meanwhile, Justin took stellar video! And Kevin H. took outstanding photos. Far superior to that which I'm posting here. Check them out here: https://www.tripoliwisconsin.org/Harnack%20February%202017/index.html

DSC_0102_zps7gsjaax6.jpg

More testing for Rockets for Schools! We used to use K550W's in the "Class 2" rockets. Then K1100T's for a bit, K445 Classics more recently. Looking at the SU K535W for this year's competition.

So we dug out my second HPR rocket...built it in 1999, still flying well today! Hot Topic on a K535W:

DSC_0113_zpskmjepkzw.jpg

DSC_0119%20-%20Copy_zpsojfg7ew7.jpg

DSC_0120_zps7olghkfr.jpg

Main deployment directly above:
DSC_0125_zpsvkn2tvoc.jpg

...and it nearly landed on Randy:
DSC_0129e_zpsefkob7cg.jpg

What a day! February in Wisconsin in sweatshirts....winds were low and the crowd had a great time. Thanks Frank, Bob, Dan, Peggy, Carol, Randy, and TWA. See you in March!

-Eric-

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Eric!
Love the photo of my rocket support team (my son!) and I.

Also - thanks for the help in getting Bruiser back in action after the filet crack. It was a nice quick turn getting it back up and passing the L2 flight (finally....)!

Eric

Back