Quick links and swivels!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
So Ive been building some mid and high power rockets. Madcow doesnt include chutes, no biggie, I can share chutes. Ill try and make my question simple as best I can.

Ive been asking a member of my club about switching chutes and how I dont have a swivel that will fit on a quick link. Ive always used swivels, but have never swapped chutes with rockets, or quick links for that matter. He informed me he doesnt use swivels. How many of you swap chutes and dont use swivels? I use a Jolly Logic chute release for 300-500ft. Maybe the chute wont wind itself up. I trust this guy, just wondering if a lot of people dont use swivels. He let me know that there are swivels I can look for that will fit on a quick link, but Im thinking thats just more weight.

I use big swivels called Rosco. I bought a bunch a few years ago, but can't remember where. Any place that sells ocean (aka big game) tackle should have them. I believe these are 12/0, 9/0, and 6/0 (biggest to smallest). Pictured with them are 1/4", 3/16", and 1/8" quick links, and a 3/16" shackle.

swivels3.jpg

swivels5.jpg

swivels7.jpg

swivels9.jpg

I use the same swivels. Got mine on eBay. Also use smaller ones I've picked up at local fishing tackle store. They do help keep your shroud lines from twisting. Every large chute I've ever bought has them sewn into shroud lines too.

Last edited:
I don't use swivels on the chutes at all. I've stopped using quick links on most of my 60" and smaller chutes also. Save just a little more weight. I've found that when shock cords get twisted up, it's usually the spinning fin can that does it, not the chute.

I use only ball bearing swivels on the fin can of my DD rockets. I tried a non-ball bearing swivel once and it only lasted one flight. I have 12/0 ball bearing swivels on the L1 & L2 rockets and a 30KN (6744 lbf) man rated ball bearing climbing swivel on my L3.

I'm starting to notice that the shock cords are twisting up sometimes when I use the JLCR. Again, it's the fin can spinning, not the restrained chute. Might need to look at putting swivels on the motor eject rockets also if I keep using the JLCR.

Back