5 Times A Fool scratch build (was Viking upscale)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't trust the plastic nose cone loops. So I drilled two 1/4" holes, and fished a length of Kevlar through them to make a loop. I got the cable length right this time, so I'm not too worried about a zipper. I got the shock cord, 36" chute, and a 12x12 blanket put in. He's ready to fly tomorrow!

161.JPG

162.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

165.JPG

166.JPG

I'm thinking about it. All that is salvageable is the nose cone and one fin. But I would only need a body tube, motor tube, and retainer.

Only the cap. The base was epoxied on with JB Weld. It's on for good.

Sorry to hear about the core sample, what a bummer. That's was a really nice looking rocket.

I'm thinking about it. All that is salvageable is the nose cone and one fin. But I would only need a body tube, motor tube, and retainer.

Build,build,build........................You're on a roll sir.You have a great system with your build process and will have another master build in no time.

I probably will rebuild it, I really like the design. I just need to order the body and motor tubes.

No, cut it off and use a dremel to clean it out.
Even a sharp knife will gouge out JB Weld, it's not that hard.
I patched a rust hole under my windshield with it and it sanded nicer than bondo.

I might try that. I've never tried to remove hardened JB Weld before.

I've decided to rebuild 5 Times. Version 2 will be different, though. It will be zipperless, and the fins will be 10% smaller. The paint will also be slightly different, with the forward section being red, along with the nose cone. It will still have one red fin.

View attachment 5 Times baffle02.ork

baffle screenshot03.jpg

baffle screenshot04.jpg

Carefully heat the retainer with a pencil torch and pull it off with some pliers.

Upgraded design looks great. Coloring reminds me of the old Super Flea.... Glad to see you up to your old self & the creative juices flowing!

Thanks Terry. I'm having a lot of fun. Except for the painting part.

But isn't JB Weld high heat? I'm afraid I'd set the rocket on fire, and/or weaken the aluminum retainer.

J-B will soften up at about 550°F, but like I said, be careful. You want just enuf heat to soften it up. Burning down the remains won't really help. I've got that tee shirt too. D'oh!

I don't know if it's worth the trouble. The retainer was only $11.

Back