Parachute Identification/History Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watheyak

Ex-Jaywalker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've had this parachute and deployment bag for close to 20 years. It's never been flown, and I don't particularly remember where I got it. It's a really nice parachute. The detail is amazing, and all the seam tape makes it look pretty indestructible.

I vaguely remember it being a "Stroud" parachute. A quick google search confirmed that there is indeed a Stroud company that makes parachutes for dragsters, and this looks just like those. Looking at the Stroud website, the overall shape, vents in the seams and the deployment bag setup are very similar.

But that search brought up some interesting questions. Did Stroud ever make rocket specific parachutes? Is this just a re-purposed dragster chute? Is this the same Dan Stroud from wayback?

I'd also like to know what weight rocket I could use it for. Overall inflated diameter is about 72" I think. I'll have to take a closer look. The diameter of the packed deployment bag is about 6".

Anyway, thanks for looking. Perhaps it needs a large Dynacom kit and a Kosdon motor. Anybody got any flashbulbs?

IM001061.JPGIM001059.JPGIM001063.JPGIM001065.JPGIM001054.JPGIM001057.JPGIM001058.JPGIM001056.JPG

Hi All,
I've had this parachute and deployment bag for close to 20 years. It's never been flown, and I don't particularly remember where I got it. It's a really nice parachute. The detail is amazing, and all the seam tape makes it look pretty indestructible.

I vaguely remember it being a "Stroud" parachute. A quick google search confirmed that there is indeed a Stroud company that makes parachutes for dragsters, and this looks just like those. Looking at the Stroud website, the overall shape, vents in the seams and the deployment bag setup are very similar.

But that search brought up some interesting questions. Did Stroud ever make rocket specific parachutes? Is this just a re-purposed dragster chute? Is this the same Dan Stroud from wayback?

I'd also like to know what weight rocket I could use it for. Overall inflated diameter is about 72" I think. I'll have to take a closer look. The diameter of the packed deployment bag is about 6".

Anyway, thanks for looking. Perhaps it needs a large Dynacom kit and a Kosdon motor. Anybody got any flashbulbs?

View attachment 310869View attachment 310870View attachment 310871View attachment 310872View attachment 310873View attachment 310874View attachment 310875View attachment 310876

Yes they did at one time. They also wrote some articles in HPR magazine.

Back