AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yes Glen, the plan is on an O3400 on Sunday, then back to the M1939 maybe for MWP

Thanks for the reply Bob! Should only be around 90lbs :)

I have a feeling it will come in around 250#'s after all is said and, done...:eek:

*SKRITTTCH!*

Nick:confused: Is THIS really necessary?

:mad: I'd say so laughing boy...

*SKRITTTCH!*

Nick:confused: This duct tape is kind of tight...

:mad: That's the way i planned it.

Nick:confused: Why do we have to do it this way?

:mad: Because that little stunt you pulled with the Pool Noodles painted black under my truck...running around yelling SNAKE made me cr@p my fur! :rant:

Nick:confused: Heck, when you get MY age you can't even look at food without doing that! C'mon cut me LOOSE!

*SKRITTTTTTTTTTTCH!*

:mad: Now i have to drive back to Indiana "Commando Style" and, i HATE that!

Nick;) There's ALWAYS a Walmart somewhere too save the day....Damn! You Stink! :lol:

*SKRITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTCH!*

:mad: What was that thing where you "Flipped" me off too?

Nick....:rolleyes: I didn't flip you off....I gave you the "WILDMAN" as in thumb out to the side....pinky the other way and, the middle digit up like a rocket! "TEAM WILDMAN!" ;)

*SKRITTTTCH!*

Nick:confused: How big of a parachute do you have in this thing anyway?

:mad: Cert. 3 XXXLarge...enough to save the rocket...NOT the cargo...

Nick...:surprised: I'm afraid of heights....

*SKRITTTCH!*

:mad: Don't worry about it...You'll be the first Truck Driver to fly into outer space...OR crash into a field of Milo! :lol:

*SKRITTTTCH!*

It's going to be a FUN time in Kansas this year! :wink:
Good for the body, the soul and, to see and, help my good friend Nick scratch another goal off his bucket list of rocketry!

Just remember to double up on the underwear dude...:p

....aaaand the Gusser to shows up. Just alittle look into the wires brain wound up on 14 Mt.Dews and way after his bed time. And you wonder why everyone is scared to ride in the HellCat with you :).

Well my life insurance is paid up and I just ordered 3 - 3 packs of Russel briefs specifically for the Airfest trip.

Heck I'm scared to even glue up grains that big.

I am bringing a 75mm MD rocket for Airfest and someone told me that they had a tower there last year that was setup by Kloudbusters that could handle a 3" rocket? I don't remember seeing it but that would be great if they do, can anyone confirm this.

I am bringing a 75mm MD rocket for Airfest and someone told me that they had a tower there last year that was setup by Kloudbusters that could handle a 3" rocket? I don't remember seeing it but that would be great if they do, can anyone confirm this.

Jeff,
We will have a tower on site for Friday and Saturday. The owner of the tower is going to take it back home on Sunday. When we heard about this, we decided it was time for us to build one for ourselves and have it available at any of our launches. Unfortunately, this won't happen before AirFest.
With all that said, I suspect there will be a lot of competition for access to the tower for those two days. Don't be surprised if you end up waiting for several hours or even not get access to it. If I were you I'd be looking for a different solution to flying your rocket.
Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, no worries on the tower. I will have a few options to launch this rocket but using yours would have been easiest, and I do like easy :p

Jeff,
We will have a tower on site for Friday and Saturday. The owner of the tower is going to take it back home on Sunday. When we heard about this, we decided it was time for us to build one for ourselves and have it available at any of our launches. Unfortunately, this won't happen before AirFest.
With all that said, I suspect there will be a lot of competition for access to the tower for those two days. Don't be surprised if you end up waiting for several hours or even not get access to it. If I were you I'd be looking for a different solution to flying your rocket.
Bob

I will have an 8-foot tall tower configured for 54mm 3 fin on site for Friday-Sunday. Folks are welcome to use that one as long as I (and Jeff-as I am one of his backup plans) can get at it when our flights are ready.

Time permitting I would like to stand in line for that 54MD 3 fin on CTI 4-grain! I will
I'll Also try to secure fly aways as primary option - thank you for offering

Last edited:
Time permitting I would like to stand in line for that 54MD 3 fin on CTI 4-grain! I will
Also try to secure fly aways as primary option - thank you for offering

I have an "L" flight planned from it, so I'll just set it up where Kloudbusters tell me to and leave traffic control to the pad manager.

Planning a minimal diameter 98mm on a Richard Hagensick N1000 moon burner. Bob gave us a thumbs up. Was originally going to Balls, but cannot make that trip. I am taking it to Airfest. Argonia here we come.

my flight has been approved. 75mm min diameter all carbon. Aerotech M1850. Sims just under 30K

Folks,
You have a little over two weeks (until August 2nd) to submit your high altitude flight approval to us if you are planning on flying over 23,000'AGL. The process isn't onerous and the form can be found here: https://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/documents/KBHiAltApp.doc
Bob

Bob,

I have a rocket that is simming to 22,300'. I know the rule is 23K but would you still like me to fill out the high altitude application just in case?

Thanks.

Sharon and I registered for Airfest this morning. We were pretty bummed not to make it last year, so it will be great to get back to the Rocket pasture for Airfest 23. Just over 1000 miles for us, so we are leaving Goodyear Tuesday and driving to Socorro, NM. Next leg will be to Liberal, KS. Then Thursday just 3 hours to Argonia. Wish us luck, we are still driving our 1998 GMC Sierra 4x4, towing a 10,000 lb. toy hauler:
IMG_0639.jpg

My big flight will be an Ultimate Darkstar flying on an AT N2000, and I promise to bring the nosecone this time.... :blush:
Also flying several of my other Darkstars, the Extreme on an L1250 Dark matter, 3" Blackstar on an EX 8 grain K something and my Blackstar Jr. on an I366. I have several more EX motors I would like to burn, an L1420 4 grain 75 for Jughead, my 5" Jart, and a 3 grain 54 in my "R2-V2".
Sharon is still working on her list, but she has seven or eight rockets that she wants to bring, the biggest is her RW Stinger and an M1297.
I'm also hoping to fly CJ's 2 stage 3" rocket, which I bought from him a couple of years ago. I have been adding new altimeters, a PET timer and an Eggfinder to it this month, and if I can figure out how to program everything, it will fly on a K2050 Super thunder booster to a J145 skidmark sustainer.
Several firsts for me if all goes well, first "N" motor, first 4 grain EX 75 in Jughead, and first 2 stage composite motor airstart.
Looks to be another great launch, Sharon was the #100 registered flier and I'm #101!

Hey All,

As we turn the calendar to August that means just 2 weeks to pre-register for AIRFest 23. If you pre-register, it's 25% cheaper that registration at the field, you can pay with a credit card (via Paypal), you can guarantee an 'official' AIRFest 23 t-shirt will be available, and the check-in process at the field is easy-peasy.

https://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/

Don't delay, register today so you don't forget. Pre-registration will be available until August 14, 2017.

While you're at the AIRFest web-site, sign-up for some Range Duty volunteer slots, too. This is a busy launch and we need your help. If each flyer takes a shift or two, there's plenty of time over the weekend to get all your flights in and the locals might get a chance to launch a couple ourselves. We truly appreciate everyone who volunteers and all volunteers will go into the vendor raffle.

Thanks, --Lance.
KLOUDBusters

Last edited:
Sharon and I registered for Airfest

My big flight will be an Ultimate Darkstar flying on an AT N2000, and I promise to bring the nosecone time

Looking forward to the N2000 flight, I'm hoping to see how this compares to M1939W. Also looking forward to meeting you two

Woo Hoo! Registered and High-Altitude project paperwork submitted. Looking forward to it!

Now to volunteer a bit and get these rockets ready! :cool:

I feel bad for not having signed up for a volunteer slot, but I don't know when I'll be arriving and/or departing.

-Kevin

+1...
So do I,, but it's really hard to walk away from my table...
Not only here,, but at all launches...
That's why I try to make special arrangements when I can...
At my home club launches we set up the RSO desk right next to / touching my tables...
Then it's easy for me to RSO all day,, no probs at all...
At an away like this one I ask my wife Sandy if she'll help out at the registration desk...

I totally feel for ya Kevin...
It's no joke,, you always want to help out,,
but sometimes circumstances dictate whether or not you can......

Teddy

+1...
So do I,, but it's really hard to walk away from my table...
Not only here,, but at all launches...
That's why I try to make special arrangements when I can...
At my home club launches we set up the RSO desk right next to / touching my tables...
Then it's easy for me to RSO all day,, no probs at all...
At an away like this one I ask my wife Sandy if she'll help out at the registration desk...

I totally feel for ya Kevin...
It's no joke,, you always want to help out,,
but sometimes circumstances dictate whether or not you can......

Teddy

Teddy,
Go ahead and volunteer. I'll man your booth. I'm really good at 90% off sales!:wink:
See you in a month,
Bob

Back