AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about bringing my O motor again...Different rocket if I can get it finished.

What was the last motor you flew in "Orange Crush" at Airfest Chris ??
A couple of years ago,, I think it was an "O" or a "P"....
That took the prize for me...
It apogeed at 26K or so and I saw it...
I stared at it the whole way up and never took my eyes off it and saw the event,, at 26K...
Must be the clear air out west...
Unbelievable flight,, I'll never forget it...

Teddy

What was the last motor you flew in "Orange Crush" at Airfest Chris ??
A couple of years ago,, I think it was an "O" or a "P"....
That took the prize for me...
It apogeed at 26K or so and I saw it...
I stared at it the whole way up and never took my eyes off it and saw the event,, at 26K...
Must be the clear air out west...
Unbelievable flight,, I'll never forget it...

Teddy

That was the P motor, this one is the same propellant, just 40lb of propellant instead of 60 :)

That was the P motor, this one is the same propellant, just 40lb of propellant instead of 60 :)

hahahahaha,,
That's insane,,,
What is that,, 2 grains less,,,
so each fuel grain is 10 lbs of AP.....
That is insane....lol...

Teddy

Questions about AF as this will be my first.

Is there camping aloud at the launch itself or do you have to move off property?

Camp fire aloud? I'm sure this will be moisture depending.

Any special paperwork for O motor flights that stay under 25K?

Questions about AF as this will be my first.

Is there camping aloud at the launch itself or do you have to move off property?

Camp fire aloud? I'm sure this will be moisture depending.

Any special paperwork for O motor flights that stay under 25K?
You can indeed camp onsite overnight. However, there are no trailer hookups, electricity or potable water on site. There will be porta potties available. For what it's worth, there are many of us who believe that the best part of AirFest is the evening camaraderie.
Camp fires are allowed but discouraged. Any camp fire must be in a burn barrel set off the ground. Truth of the matter, you really don't need one to keep warm at night!
The only paperwork that's required is you will need to register for the launch. Before you get ready to finish prepping your flight, find me and we will figure out where it will fly from and the logistics of getting it out to the pad.
Bob Brown

Last edited:
You can indeed camp onsite overnight. However, there are no trailer hookups, electricity or potable water on site. There will be porta potties available. For what it's worth, there are many of us who believe that the best part of AirFest is the evening camaraderie.
Camp fires are allowed but discouraged. Any camp fire must be in a burn barrel set off the ground. Truth of the matter, you really don't need one to keep warm at night!
The only paperwork that's required is you will need to register for the launch. Before you get ready to finish prepping your flight, find me and we will figure out where it will fly from and the logistics oof getting it out to the pad.
Bob Brown

To add to what Bob Brown said. At night if you camp on a clear night you can see all the stars above. You can see the milky way. It is a amazing time. You are far enough away from lights to make this happen.

The only paperwork that's required is you will need to register for the launch. Before you get ready to finish prepping your flight, find me and we will figure out where it will fly from and the logistics oof getting it out to the pad.
Bob Brown
100% on what Bob said.

I'll add a note about our available pads ... We have ...
  • Several 12' X 1515 rails that go into our standard pads
  • Many lengths of 1010 rails that go into our standard pads
  • One medium-to-heavy-duty large footprint pad with a 12' 1515 rail
  • One ultra-heavy-duty pad/tower with Unistrut that is available upon special request. It can handle a 500+ lb. rocket.
If you need the big tower or have some other unique requirement, it is helpful to let us know in advance.

--Lance.

Last edited:
Lance,

The 1515's will do 120lbs give or take, correct?

-Tim
Tim,
I'm not Lance but we do have a trailer mounted 1515 pad that I'm sure would be good to much more than that. Lance called that one a "medium-duty large footprint pad with a 12' 1515 rail" that has had several high thrust and or heavy rockets flown off of it on the past.
Bottom line, if anyone is worried that we might not have what you need to fly, contact us! Chances are really high we can help!
Bob

Tim,
I'm not Lance but we do have a trailer mounted 1515 pad that I'm sure would be good to much more than that. Lance called that one a "medium-duty large footprint pad with a 12' 1515 rail" that has had several high thrust and or heavy rockets flown off of it on the past.
Bottom line, if anyone is worried that we might not have what you need to fly, contact us! Chances are really high we can help!
Bob

Thanks Bob!

100% on what Bob said.

I'll add a note about our available pads ... We have ...
  • Several 12' X 1515 rails that go into our standard pads
  • Many lengths of 1010 rails that go into our standard pads
  • One medium-duty large footprint pad with a 12' 1515 rail
  • One pad/tower with Unistrut that is available upon special request. It can handle a 500+ lb. rocket.
If you need the big tower or have some other unique requirement, it is helpful to let us know in advance.

--Lance.

What do we need to do if we want to launch off the Unistrut?

What do we need to do if we want to launch off the Unistrut?
Connect the ignition leads. You probably should arm your altimeters as well!

Gary, just kidding! The Unistrut pad is a monster! It will take us an hour or so to set it up if needed. Find me on the field a couple of hours before you are ready to fly and we will get you taken care of.
Bob

Igniter leads? Really? Well that explains a lot! Gee thanks Bob. Sigh..... :)

Thinking ahead to talking Bill Good into bringing his almost fulls scale AGM78 Standard Arm. With BALLS so close to AIRFEST he may say no. We shall see.

The only paperwork that's required is you will need to register for the launch. Before you get ready to finish prepping your flight, find me and we will figure out where it will fly from and the logistics of getting it out to the pad.
Bob Brown

Thanks for the reply Bob! Should only be around 90lbs :)

By the way, 94 days to AIRFEST. Not that I'm counting or anything......

No, but don't worry, I'll bring some salmon with me. :)
FYI, I'll trade reloads or cash for my own large fillet of that smoked salmon. I'm serious too. That is good stuff!

I've got my room booked. Now to just get a whole bunch more propellant cast.

We had a launch canceled in Minnesota last weekend because it was 95 and windy. My oh my, that's a great flying day in Argonia. Cannot wait for Airfest ......

The Cobblestone Inn in Anthony now has the KloudBuster rate at $69 per night.

If you want to stay there, you need to ask for that nightly rate when booking. I will call the Harper location to see if they will match the $69 as well and update here. Contact info for the hotels is available on the AIRFest website. Thanks to dshmel for accomplishing this. ��

Last edited:
Back