AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lance, any info on the total number & size of motors flown? Seems that every year there's more and more M, N, & O's flown.

78 M-N-O-P

206 K and above.

Mostly all on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Due (probably) to the great weather, Monday was very light.

Yes, there were a lot of big motors and high-performance birds flown.

I lost a CTI 75mm 6-grain case. Thrust ring missing, had 1 spacer grain in it as I flew 5 grain motor. Had not yet cleaned it after flight.

Misplaced[?] at vendors row somewhere if not picked up from my camp area.

Just a long shot......

Last edited:
Hey gus, you know I can climb up a pad ;)

:wink:

Two more VERY quick videos of Nick Adams flight on the CTI O-3400 on Sunday handed off to me at our Club Meeting tonight by the esteemed Curtis Reynolds.

[YOUTUBE]7-RhibNMSj4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]s4uiZ9QwIIQ[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for watching my humble You-Tube channel. These are posted here more for posterity than anything else...Nick is STILL ecstatic about the whole weekend, which he rightfully deserves. You did good my friend. :eek:

I lost a CTI 75mm 6-grain case. Thrust ring missing, had 1 spacer grain in it as I flew 5 grain motor. Had not yet cleaned it after flight.

Misplaced[?] at vendors row somewhere if not picked up from my camp area.

Just a long shot......

Sounds like theivery was heavy . Im sorry to hear you got hit as well .

Thank you Kloudbusters for putting on a top drawer event! Thought folks might enjoy this tongue in cheek post of the upscale corkscrew flights...
[video=youtube;tkM7LjiH7hQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkM7LjiH7hQ[/video]

Last edited:
Thank you Kloudbusters for putting on a top drawer event! Thought folks might enjoy this tongue in cheek post of the upscale corkscrew flights...
[video=youtube;tkM7LjiH7hQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkM7LjiH7hQ[/video]

Nice video, and are you Doug from TMO? It looks like you from those pictures. :)
Thanks,

Still hoping someone can provide insight on my Madcow Screech that was found Sunday afternoon. It was returned to RSO sometime after 4pm, I think. Blue upper section with blue NC, red airframe, neon orange/white parachute. If you found this, I'd love to know where you found it!

Thanks to all the people who continue to make AIRFEST worth every mile, dollar, and minute.
Only picture I took of my own stuff all weekend! Flew this rocket twice -Vee-Oh-Lay L1015 to about 11k Friday, then a Loki J-1000 Sunday to nearly 6k. Also flew a small Madcow ARCAS on a CTI J354 for about 5800' AGL.
Airfest 2017. by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Couldn't help posting the following of Wildman after his SPECTACULAR N-10000 well...errr...flight---recovery---and subsequent Bob Brown post flight diagnostics. I always pay attention and am never disappointed when Mr. Lehr is announced at AF!
Wildman by Cory Brennan, on Flickr
Wildman and B. Brown by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Hi Everyone,

I just opened up the av bay for my Screech that I am still trying to find the individual who found this rocket and returned it to RSO.

Flight data is a bit strange. I'm hoping whoever found the bird can come forward and help me out here. I can't tell if the main was tangled up, as it was already disconnected from the airframe when found at RSO.

Here is a photo of the bird in question. I spent a significant amount of time looking for this bird and just want to know where she was found and what condition she was found in.

screech.jpg

Looking forward to any input anyone can provide!

Hi Everyone,

I just opened up the av bay for my Screech that I am still trying to find the individual who found this rocket and returned it to RSO.

Flight data is a bit strange. I'm hoping whoever found the bird can come forward and help me out here. I can't tell if the main was tangled up, as it was already disconnected from the airframe when found at RSO.

Here is a photo of the bird in question. I spent a significant amount of time looking for this bird and just want to know where she was found and what condition she was found in.

View attachment 328969

Looking forward to any input anyone can provide!

It was me that found your rocket and returned it. I came upon it when I was recovery the sustainer from my two-stage project. The last recorded GPS coordinates of my rocket were: N97.7256479 W37.1603264. If I remember correctly your was about 200 yds. SSW of mine.

The chute seemed a little fowled and tangled. I disconnected it so I could restack you rocket to make it easier to carry back to my vehicle, my rocket on one shoulder and yours on the other.

Hope I didn't mess you up by bringing it back to RSO. I was out in the field for quite awhile and didn't see anyone coming for it. I was going to just leave it in a visible location by the road. Not sure why I brought it back to RSO. It was hot and by the time I got back to my vehicle I might not have been thinking straight. I did encounter a mini-van as I was returning and tried to flag it down. That might have been you.

...Fred

It was me that found your rocket and returned it. I came upon it when I was recovery the sustainer from my two-stage project. The last recorded GPS coordinates of my rocket were: N97.7256479 W37.1603264. If I remember correctly your was about 200 yds. SSW of mine.

The chute seemed a little fowled and tangled. I disconnected it so I could restack you rocket to make it easier to carry back to my vehicle, my rocket on one shoulder and yours on the other.

Hope I didn't mess you up by bringing it back to RSO. I was out in the field for quite awhile and didn't see anyone coming for it. I was going to just leave it in a visible location by the road. Not sure why I brought it back to RSO. It was hot and by the time I got back to my vehicle I might not have been thinking straight. I did encounter a mini-van as I was returning and tried to flag it down. That might have been you.

...Fred

Thank you! I wanted to figure out where it landed so we could figure out if my GPS was working right at all. The GPS track we had on rocketlocator seemed very odd so I looked for quite some time... Glad to have found it. Guess if the GPS had kept working it would have helped!

Was your sustainer the lawn dart? We found a lawndart right cross the "dried up creek" (as indicated on satellite) with a 4" airframe...

So glad to have found it. I was wondering if there was a problem with descent because my RRC3 showed a weird descent after main event. Flew it this past weekend on a K1100 with no issues except losing lock upon impact, but I had the last packet and saw exactly where it landed... Used a different tracker tho.. Ah well. So it goes.

Good job capturing the entire experience of the launch.

Sits patiently, waiting for the “after hours” night time footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Nice video, David.

Question: Why are there always clips of Tim on the ground servicing his RV in some manner?

Just curious.

;)

Last edited:
Postpone your L3 and come to Air Fest and get it. You will never regret coming to the Rocket Pasture.

I was more considering knocking out my L3 in the spring and then bringing a badass altitude project to AirFest.

Great video David, thanks for posting that!
Thanks, Wayne! Sorry your N2000W was out of focus, my coffee hadn't set in yet :caffeine:
Well done Dr. Reese!
Thanks Gary! See you at MWP?
Great footage Mr. Reese!
Thanks Tim! With all the volunteer time you spent at away RSO, I bet you recognize where a lot of it was filmed from :)
Great video sir, really enjoyed that! :cheers:
That's the highest praise coming from a master like you, sir. "Tell me who you are, where you're from, what you're flying!"
Very nice!
Aww you're only saying that because I didn't show the part of your Gizmo that's missing paint :p Did you see Kent posted his drone vids? Awesome!
Well done Doc.
Thanks Gary! Glad you enjoyed it :)
Awesome video! Makes me want to come out there next year....
Please do! You missed out this year for sure. Best weather in YEARS.
You will never regret coming to the Rocket Pasture.
Never, ever. I haven't been since 2012 (I think... when we blew up the giant t***on rocket) and I didn't realize how much I missed it until I returned.
Good job capturing the entire experience of the launch. Sits patiently, waiting for the “after hours” night time footage.
I think that bottle of Jameson is still in the motorhome... remind me next time I see you...
Nice video, David.

Question: Why are there always clips of Tim on the ground servicing his RV in some manner?

Just curious.

;)
Thanks, Lance! There's a reason I ended with that... "there's a nut on it"
Wow great video, looks like a bunch of fun.
Thank you sir! It really was. Glad I was able to successfully convey a little part of the feeling of AIRFest.

Y'all rock.

Back