AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, 5 LOKI "N" motors.... Don't you have to get special dispensation from the Pope for that? Someone needs to give God a "heads up" for that flight, right?

5 Loki M3464's comes out to 47000ns. 5 Loki N3800 comes out to 62.5k nS. Interesting. The N3800 is a Loki White formulation though. Loki blue would be even higher... Bet they're skids.

Last edited:
Is there any information on frequency allocations and procedures for the different kinds of trackers? I am a new TeleGPS owner and would like to be as prepared as possible for my L3 certification attempt.

David

David,
We do not track nor try to control tracker frequencies. We have tried in the past and there are always a lot of folks who do as they please. My only advice to you is to get off the default frequency. Those are always messed up.
Bob

Just a mention......

As a courtesy to other fliers, please remember to turn off whatever tracking system you use, as soon as possible.

After the excitement of a great flight, it is easy to forget, & that transmitter beeping away for hours may interfere with another's flight!

Just a mention......

As a courtesy to other fliers, please remember to turn off whatever tracking system you use, as soon as possible.

After the excitement of a great flight, it is easy to forget, & that transmitter beeping away for hours may interfere with another's flight!

Sure thing! I will add that to the checklist after safing the other electronics.

David

Yeah, I remember that rule. First year we came, I had an Estes Executioner with a G75 Metalstorm. Hiked out to the 60's pads and set it up next to a guy loading a 2 stage. The only way I could tell where my rocket was, it was right next to this huge 12 ft. rocket. Learned my lesson, if you're gonna fly a sparkie, make it a BIG sparkie.

I remember that rule from my first trip out there two years ago. As such, I plan to attempt my L3 cert there with an AT N2220 DM. Go big sparky or go home! :)

I remember that rule from my first trip out there two years ago. As such, I plan to attempt my L3 cert there with an AT N2220 DM. Go big sparky or go home! :)

If you got that from Chris, you might notice some drool stains on the packages. I was sitting next to that load in his trailer at NSL. :drool: Couldn't quite convince myself to spend the money with an N2000 ready to fly waiting at home.
Sure hope I get to see your flight, seems like the big ones always go up while I'm a mile away recovering something.
What are you flying it in?

Much like your projects "30 minutes from now!" Truthfully, no idea. If I were him I would want to see the weather/wind forecast before making that decision.

Hey, we might resemble that! ;)

And yep! Waiting for the best weather is always best when you have the option. No matter when it flies, I hope it's successful!

-Kevin

Is there any information on frequency allocations and procedures for the different kinds of trackers? I am a new TeleGPS owner and would like to be as prepared as possible for my L3 certification attempt.

David

make yourself a custom channel on it, it is in the software. If you need help, come see me and I'll help get you set up.

If you got that from Chris, you might notice some drool stains on the packages. I was sitting next to that load in his trailer at NSL. :drool: Couldn't quite convince myself to spend the money with an N2000 ready to fly waiting at home.
Sure hope I get to see your flight, seems like the big ones always go up while I'm a mile away recovering something.
What are you flying it in?

Yep, it's from Chris. I wondered what all that stainage was on the packaging. LOL! I'll be putting it up in a Madcow 8" DX3. It's simming to about 9500 feet.

Built the N2000 for my Ultimate DS today. I know there will be plenty of flights with bigger rockets/motors, but adding a 27 lb. motor to a 13 ft. rocket is YUGE in my eyes! :eyepop:

I still have to build an Eggfinder and put it in the Nosecone. Not like I'm gonna lose this monster, but this is Airfest, and everything should have some kind of tracker in it.

[FONT=&amp]don't forget the nosecone, don't forget the nosecone.[/FONT]

Built the N2000 for my Ultimate DS today. I know there will be plenty of flights with bigger rockets/motors, but adding a 27 lb. motor to a 13 ft. rocket is YUGE in my eyes! :eyepop:

I still have to build an Eggfinder and put it in the Nosecone. Not like I'm gonna lose this monster, but this is Airfest, and everything should have some kind of tracker in it.

[FONT=&amp]don't forget the nosecone, don't forget the nosecone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I would have lost my Ultimate Wildman last year at Airfest if I didn't have a tracker in it, don't forget the sorghum field that swallows rockets [/FONT]:shock:

[FONT=&amp]I would have lost my Ultimate Wildman last year at Airfest if I didn't have a tracker in it, don't forget the sorghum field that swallows rockets [/FONT]:shock:

Yeah, I posted this picture on another thread:
IMG_3804.jpg

I'm standing over my L3 rocket on it's cert. flight. Who would think there's a Darkstar Extreme in that shot?

I saw that picture and thought 100 degree weather and covered in sticky sorghum??? Bad combination

I saw that picture and thought 100 degree weather and covered in sticky sorghum??? Bad combination

066.jpg

Yah, me and CJ (the orange shirt in the background) - we didn't enjoy the traipsing through the field at 100 degrees....but the sorghum isn't that sticky.... really.....trust me...... :)

So.... I just learned from the rocketry club at UAH that there is a good chance we will be attending Airfest this year. :)

066.jpg

Yah, me and CJ (the orange shirt in the background) - we didn't enjoy the traipsing through the field at 100 degrees....but the sorghum isn't that sticky.... really.....trust me...... :)

AHHHHHH! I remember the sorghum !!! Nasty stuff.

So what is the crop layout this year? Is there sorghum to the north next to the road or is that field plowed?

It COULD be worse, it could be a field of prickly pear :surprised: :
Prickly_pear.jpg

Wholey smokes,,
I've never heard of a field of Prickly Pear Cactus...
What is harvested from that plant ??
Oh man,, if you're wearing shorts !!!

Teddy

Wholey smokes,,
I've never heard of a field of Prickly Pear Cactus...
What is harvested from that plant ??
Oh man,, if you're wearing shorts !!!

Teddy

Wayne and I have often eaten Prickly Pear Jam and I have eaten Nopales in the past (it's okay, but not my thing). My favorite is Prickly Pear Margaritas :drool:

quoted in part from Wikipedia:

The fruit of prickly pears is edible.

In Mexico, prickly pears are often used to make appetizers, soups, and salads through entrees, vegetable dishes, and breads to desserts, beverages, candy, jelly, or drinks. The young stem segments, usually called nopales, are also edible in most species of Opuntia. They are commonly used in Mexican cuisine in dishes such as huevos con nopales (eggs with nopal), or tacos de nopales. Nopales are also an important ingredient in New Mexican cuisine.

The prickly pear also grows widely on the islands of Malta, where it is enjoyed by the Maltese as a typical summer fruit (known as bajtar tax-xewk, literally 'spiny figs'), as well as being used to make the popular liqueur known as bajtra. The prickly pear is so commonly found in the Maltese islands, it is often used as a dividing wall between many of Malta's characteristic terraced fields in place of the usual rubble walls.

The prickly pear was introduced to Eritrea during the period of Italian colonisation between 1890 and 1940. It is locally known there as beles and is abundant during the late summer and early autumn (late July through September). The beles from the holy monastery of Debre Bizen is said to be particularly sweet and juicy. In Libya, it is a popular summer fruit and called by the locals Hindi, which literally means Indian.

In Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and other parts of the Middle East, prickly pears of the yellow and orange varieties are grown by the side of farms, beside railway tracks and other otherwise non-cultivable land. It is sold in summer by street vendors, and is considered a refreshing fruit for that season.

Tungi is the local St. Helenian name for cactus pears. The plants (Indian fig opuntia) were originally brought to the island by the colonial ivory traders from East Africa in the 1850s. Tungi cactus now grows wild in the dry coastal regions of the island. Three principal cultivars of tungi grow on the island: the 'English' with yellow fruit; the 'Madeira' with large red fruit; and the small, firm 'spiny red'.Tungi also gives its name to a local Spirit distilled at The St Helena distillery at Alarm Forest, the most remote distillery in the world, made entirely from the opuntia cactus.

In Mexican folk medicine, its pulp and juice are considered treatments for wounds and inflammation of the digestive and urinary tracts.

Looking to make my way to Argonia for Airfest as a spectator. If you could only make it for 1 or 2 days what day would you all recommend I attend?

Thanks in advance!

Back