AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerotech had one on their FB page a while ago, although from the 30 seconds that I watched, it was mostly them just wandering around.

Even though the guy who does the livestreams is super chill to talk to. Chatted with him for a while at LDRS in MD... he just follows people around with his camera. :p

Anyone from Tulsa heading up to Argonia this weekend with a trailer or room in the back of their truck? I have an 8' tower I leave up in Argonia for Kloudbusters to use, but I need to get it hauled back to Tulsa. I need the tower for for BALLS. I plan to run up tomorrow to get it, but thought I would see if anyone is going up that could save me a trip. Thanks

I'll ask around tomorrow, there's about a dozen here from Tulsa & OKC

Super nice day today. Nice mix of G's thru P's. All the usual suspects in attendance. Kloudbusters again killing it with attention to detail on all aspects of the launch.

One item to note... There are a helluva lot of liquor stores in Kansas. Almost as bad a rural Illinois.

Flew a bunch of rockets yesterday, nothing earth shattering but a great day of flying. Hoping to get the Ultimate Darkstar up today, but it's raining now. Predicted to be over by 7 am.

Flew my 4" Scratchbuilt to 15,940' today on a M1315. Phenomenal flight. Can't wait to do it again someday. Great organization by the Airfest folks. Two more flights by dad and I in the AM and we head back to St. Louis to continue our holiday weekend.

We had an excellent day of flying yesterday. Started with my Ultimate Darkstar on Skippy's N2000 to 15,632 ft. Skippy was on my ground crew! Muddy recovery, but it landed right behind our trailer. Sharon flew her Stinger on an M1297 to 9300 ft. Up next was my Red Tailed Extreme DS on an L1250 Dark Matter to 11,617 ft. Last was my 3" Blackstar to 12,183 ft, burning an 8 grain EX motor with our "Not your Wimpy red" formula. I took a picture of my "3 of a kind" Darkstars after the waiver closed, but will have to wait to post them until we get home Tuesday. Three black Darkstars with red fins for a total combined altitude of 39,162 ft. Ran out of time, but plan to fly my DS Jr. today.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504437587.967070.jpg

This place is definitely the rocket pasture - wide open area like I've never seen. Was able to watch several amazing flights and meet a lot of people.

Only 3 flights for me yesterday;
My sons Madcow 1.6" AGM-33 Pike on an F42 to 1050' then again in a G80 to 2986'. Then my current altitude record MAC Performance Firestick X on K-711 to 11,767' and landed 30 yards from the pad! Not sure if the speed yet but simmed at 1066 mph.

This morning will be the big flight for us of the weekend hopefully first thing.

We had an excellent day of flying yesterday. Started with my Ultimate Darkstar on Skippy's N2000 to 15,632 ft. Skippy was on my ground crew! Muddy recovery, but it landed right behind our trailer. Sharon flew her Stinger on an M1297 to 9300 ft. Up next was my Red Tailed Extreme DS on an L1250 Dark Matter to 11,617 ft. Last was my 3" Blackstar to 12,183 ft, burning an 8 grain EX motor with our "Not your Wimpy red" formula. I took a picture of my "3 of a kind" Darkstars after the waiver closed, but will have to wait to post them until we get home Tuesday. Three black Darkstars with red fins for a total combined altitude of 39,162 ft. Ran out of time, but plan to fly my DS Jr. today.

Wayto go Wayco! & Sharon ..

UDS tickling 3 miles is so cool - how did that match up to your sims ? Also how did you flying your new eGGtimer stuff ?

Kenny

Made it down to the Rocket Pasture Saturday as a spectator to enjoy the flights. I had a wonderful time and was truly impressed by the amount of launches. It was pretty cool being in rural Kansas and then coming up to the launch site and seeing so many people/cars/tents/trailers parked in what seems like the middle of nowhere!

Best of all was the fact that everyone was so friendly! I'll definitely be coming back next year and for more than one day. Additional sunscreen and shade next time! lol

Flight of the day goes to whoever had the rocket on the 60's pad that took the guide rail for a ride and then headed straight for Missouri! That sure was exciting.

Made it down to the Rocket Pasture Saturday as a spectator to enjoy the flights. I had a wonderful time and was truly impressed by the amount of launches. It was pretty cool being in rural Kansas and then coming up to the launch site and seeing so many people/cars/tents/trailers parked in what seems like the middle of nowhere!

Best of all was the fact that everyone was so friendly! I'll definitely be coming back next year and for more than one day. Additional sunscreen and shade next time! lol

Flight of the day goes to whoever had the rocket on the 60's pad that took the guide rail for a ride and then headed straight for Missouri! That sure was exciting.
If by exciting you mean terrifying, then I agree.

Glad I wasn't at the away RSO as I didn't bring extra pants to the field

I was standing next to him, and he wasn't the only one looking to change them. Watched that flight go right over our heads in my binoculars!

Hey Kenny, the UDS exceeded the OR sims by about 2000 ft. And ThrustCurve estimated it at 13,500 ft. I might have to adjust the Cd before I fly the O3400 Sharon bought yesterday. Too bad California doesn't allow anything over an "M" motor, that would be a genuine "Large Dangerous Rocket"!

Last edited:
I was standing next to him, and he wasn't the only one looking to change them. Watched that flight go right over our heads in my binoculars.

I was the away cell manager at the time. Yes a bit scary as the rail separated from the rocket just as it was approaching our pop-up.

I wish someone would post a picture of the rail afterwards as it demonstrates the type of forces we deal with on an HPR flight and provides a good example of why we need safety rules in place.

Went to Airfest, didn't fly a thing...spent alot of time chasing people down and, harassing them.

The day started off with giving Andrew Adams his Tripoli Mentor Program test and, i'm happy to say that he passed with flying colors! Congratulations young man. :wave:

Shot a few *Sunday Funnies* with the I- paid way too much for this piece of crap -Phone and, uploaded them to my humble You-Tube channel.

First up is my good friend Eric Cayemberg and, i discussing getting a certain friend to come down to Kansas next year.
[YOUTUBE]fD1MR4fUqLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Then we get Nick Adam's rocket ready for his launch on a CTI O-3400 while waiting in the pits-
[YOUTUBE]OzttKAL5u64[/YOUTUBE]

A visit with my Soul Brother from another mother Jason Griffin.
[YOUTUBE]m73jDbqi6A4[/YOUTUBE]

Finally, a talk with the support equipment about NOT being used.
[YOUTUBE]vWy2fpnaM3E[/YOUTUBE]

A very special thanks to Bob Brown and, the Kloudbuster crew of hard working/dedicated members that ALWAYS put on a well set up-equipped and, run event!

Congratulations to William Kincaid of Indianapolis for FINALLY attaining a successful L-3 Certification! YES!!! :D
Nick Adams had an incredible flight to 15,8....ish with his beautiful Estes QCC Explorer upscale! :eek:

All my friends i managed to pester without throwing things at me. We do this because it's FUN! We've already gone to the moon and, were just launching some sticks in the backyard.
To all the people i missed seeing- Wayco/Sharon/Teddy C from Jeeeerzzzzzeeee.....I will see you down the road of life!
Thanks again Kloudbusters! ;)

LMAO Gus!! Great videos; sorry I missed you but had to leave early due to work commitments. KLOUDBUSTERS & Bob Brown have this launch down to a (rocket) science. The excellent field and the waiver make the 12.5 hour drive worth while. Now to get the Kansas mud out of the RTRV's wheel wells.......

1570 miles later and whirlwind of a trip - My first Airfest is in the books.
Special thank you to the Kloudbuster organization- Bob Brown, Lance and all the volunteers - thank you for what you do so we can come and fly in rocket country. "There is no place like Kansas" for rockets.

It was good to meet everyone and to put some faces to the names here and see some friends - Chris Bender, Jeff , Wayne and Sharon, Gerald, Bob Brown, Lance, the Shmels, Chris @ Chris Rockets, Curtis, Eric Cayemberg , Eric Haley, Dave Kittel, Jason Griffin, Tim & Jackie, Mike Walsh etc

Chris Bender Scratch V2 - M650 flight (I have a cell phone video of the up portion) I'll edit and put on you tube this week.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504534008.947402.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504534296.347638.jpg

For our camp Andrew and I had many firsts

- first Mach - Mac Performance FIRESTICK X - K711 to 11,767' and first 2 miles

- Ultimate QCC first 3 miles, first O to 15,839' (my sims were way off - was expecting 12K - I didn't adjust my CD for the plugs and the 4 less lbs)

- Andrew - Mentor test competed, largest non Hpr engine from my son in his 4-H rocket Madcow AGM-33 Pick FG on a G80 to 2986' - simmed at 2996.

So a simple thank you can't express my appreciation to Gus Piepenburg for building the engine the held together beautifully and the suggestion to even do this, I wouldn't have pushed this rocket or even built it without your suggestions and guidance. Hope I can repay you somehow in the future or pay it forward. Thank you to Curtis Reynolds, Dave Kittel and my son Andrew for helping so much for the actual flight.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504534944.610872.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504534925.988206.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504535191.697077.jpg

Thank you to Eric Cayemberg for the K550 Sconnie White - hope to plan a great flight for this engine and watching how powerful this is made me change plans for this motor.

Thank you to Gary "Kawabunga" for the RF tracker that allowed for my sons big flight and the backup tracker for the O-3400 flight. Thanks to Jason Griffin for transporting said tracker.

Justin Ferrand - I didn't fly the tower and decided to not rush this MD flight - had some issues that I didn't want to rush.

Last edited:
Also if anyone took pics of the Upscale QCC O-flight on Sunday morning - please share! My email is adams at acutetraining dot com.

LMAO Gus!! Great videos; sorry I missed you but had to leave early due to work commitments.

Understand Gary, I missed running into you, Mike Walsh and, Gerry Meux too...
I hope everyone had a GREAT time and, arrives home safely. There will always be another day! ;)

Went to Airfest, didn't fly a thing...spent alot of time chasing people down and, harassing them.

The day started off with giving Andrew Adams his Tripoli Mentor Program test and, i'm happy to say that he passed with flying colors! Congratulations young man. :wave:

Shot a few *Sunday Funnies* with the I- paid way too much for this piece of crap -Phone and, uploaded them to my humble You-Tube channel.

First up is my good friend Eric Cayemberg and, i discussing getting a certain friend to come down to Kansas next year.
[YOUTUBE]fD1MR4fUqLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Then we get Nick Adam's rocket ready for his launch on a CTI O-3400 while waiting in the pits-
[YOUTUBE]OzttKAL5u64[/YOUTUBE]

A visit with my Soul Brother from another mother Jason Griffin.
[YOUTUBE]m73jDbqi6A4[/YOUTUBE]

Finally, a talk with the support equipment about NOT being used.
[YOUTUBE]vWy2fpnaM3E[/YOUTUBE]

A very special thanks to Bob Brown and, the Kloudbuster crew of hard working/dedicated members that ALWAYS put on a well set up-equipped and, run event!

Congratulations to William Kincaid of Indianapolis for FINALLY attaining a successful L-3 Certification! YES!!! :D
Nick Adams had an incredible flight to 15,8....ish with his beautiful Estes QCC Explorer upscale! :eek:

All my friends i managed to pester without throwing things at me. We do this because it's FUN! We've already gone to the moon and, were just launching some sticks in the backyard.
To all the people i missed seeing- Wayco/Sharon/Teddy C from Jeeeerzzzzzeeee.....I will see you down the road of life!
Thanks again Kloudbusters! ;)

Thanks for the videos, and thanks for thinking about me!

We should be able to attend MWP again this year. The for next year in 2018 we are looking at NSL in Geneso because they have a NIGHT LAUNCH - And it could be a crazy road trip across the lake on the ferry, across Michigan, across Canada (Niagara Falls) so that could be a lot of fun.

Can anyone say why no night launch at airfest?

Who was flying the drone? If they were recording when they were hovering over my L3 cert flight (at around 2:30pm on Saturday), could they contact me? I would like a copy of the video. It is probably really cool!

David Smith's Black Brandt II.jpg

Thanks!
David

1570 miles later and whirlwind of a trip - My first Airfest is in the books.
Special thank you to the Kloudbuster organization- Bob Brown, Lance and all the volunteers - thank you for what you do so we can come and fly in rocket country. "There is no place like Kansas" for rockets.

It was good to meet everyone and to put some faces to the names here and see some friends - Chris Bender, Jeff , Wayne and Sharon, Gerald, Bob Brown, Lance, the Shmels, Chris @ Chris Rockets, Curtis, Eric Cayemberg , Eric Haley, Dave Kittel, Jason Griffin, Tim & Jackie, Mike Walsh etc

Chris Bender Scratch V2 - M650 flight (I have a cell phone video of the up portion) I'll edit and put on you tube this week.
View attachment 327363
View attachment 327364

For our camp Andrew and I had many firsts

- first Mach - Mac Performance FIRESTICK X - K711 to 11,767' and first 2 miles

- Ultimate QCC first 3 miles, first O to 15,839' (my sims were way off - was expecting 12K - I didn't adjust my CD for the plugs and the 4 less lbs)

- Andrew - Mentor test competed, largest non Hpr engine from my son in his 4-H rocket Madcow AGM-33 Pick FG on a G80 to 2986' - simmed at 2996.

So a simple thank you can't express my appreciation to Gus Piepenburg for building the engine the held together beautifully and the suggestion to even do this, I wouldn't have pushed this rocket or even built it without your suggestions and guidance. Hope I can repay you somehow in the future or pay it forward. Thank you to Curtis Reynolds, Dave Kittel and my son Andrew for helping so much for the actual flight.
View attachment 327366
View attachment 327365
View attachment 327367

Thank you to Eric Cayemberg for the K550 Sconnie White - hope to plan a great flight for this engine and watching how powerful this is made me change plans for this motor.

Thank you to Gary "Kawabunga" for the RF tracker that allowed for my sons big flight and the backup tracker for the O-3400 flight. Thanks to Jason Griffin for transporting said tracker.

Justin Ferrand - I didn't fly the tower and decided to not rush this MD flight - had some issues that I didn't want to rush.

It was good meeting you, and the QCC flight was great. Unfortunately, it caught me off guard, and I didn't have my camera ready. Good decision on not rushing the MD tower flight, especially an out of sight flight...just not worth the risks.

My Dad and I had a great time. Our thanks to all the organizers/volunteers who made everything just work, the vendors that provide the needed fix (particularly Chris with the elusive K627), and all the fliers that provided the entertainment.

We'll be back next year.

Can anyone say why no night launch at airfest?

Sabrina,
The reason for no night launch is really quite simple. The very small group of us who are responsible for the safety of everyone in attendance have extremely long days as it is. If one of us wants to fly a rocket, that person is either up at 6:00AM prepping their rocket or is prepping at 10:30PM. Most of us have no breaks in the day from 7AM until the range closes. We miss lunch routinely. By the time 5PM comes around we want to relax, eat, and visit with our rocketry friends from across the country. I cannot and won't ask these folks to work extra hours so that a handful of folks can fly when it is dark.
Bob

Sabrina,
The reason for no night launch is really quite simple. The very small group of us who are responsible for the safety of everyone in attendance have extremely long days as it is. If one of us wants to fly a rocket, that person is either up at 6:00AM prepping their rocket or is prepping at 10:30PM. Most of us have no breaks in the day from 7AM until the range closes. We miss lunch routinely. By the time 5PM comes around we want to relax, eat, and visit with our rocketry friends from across the country. I cannot and won't ask these folks to work extra hours so that a handful of folks can fly when it is dark.
Bob

Thank you for the answer!

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into running a big launch. My folks are keeping Airfest on the list of launches we want to attend. Hopefully we'll get out to fly with you someday. :D

My folks are keeping Airfest on the list of launches we want to attend. Hopefully we'll get out to fly with you someday. :D

I need someone small enough to shimmy up :point: a launch tower to turn on my Sustainer's electronics next year...:rolleyes:
Like Uncle Eric says- "Come on down!" ;)

Back