AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday & Sunday would be my vote.

But I really recommend Thursday thru Monday!

I would like to ad a tip that helped me out last year. There was mention that its a good idea to have a tracker when you fly at Argonia. For those who cant/don't use a tracker, put your name and address or ph# inside your rocket. EVERY part of your rocket. Last year I had a dual deploy rocket separate prematurely and snap the shock cord. The upper section had a tracker in the nose cone so I found that part no problem. The booster section was MIA. Every part of this rocket had my
name in it and so when the booster ended up in the lost and found I was notified. I use those little return address mailing labels and stick them inside the av-bay, nosecone, payload section and booster. It's not guaranteed you will get your stuff back but it puts a few more of the odds in your favor.

Looking to make my way to Argonia for Airfest as a spectator. If you could only make it for 1 or 2 days what day would you all recommend I attend?

Thanks in advance!
It really depends upon the anticipated weather, IMO. All things (weather) being pretty equal ...

I think Friday is a great day. Folks with extreme projects will be ready to launch when they arrive on-site. If the weather is favorable they aren't going to let a good weather day pass. There might not be quite as continuous flights, but there will be some spectacular ones for sure. The added benefit to Friday is that the pace is less hectic than on Saturday.

If hectic and a larger crowd are your thing, Saturday is off the chain in that regard.

Every day is good - weather is the over-arching factor/constraint that has the most effect on the proceedings. When viewing a forecast, watch for cloud cover (low percentage is good) and winds (< 10-12). BTW, looking at the weather forecast before about two days out in this part of the country is almost useless.

Talk to the people and the vendors while you're on-site. You're going to catch the bug, you realize? ... just sayin' ...

--Lance.

I would like to ad a tip that helped me out last year. There was mention that its a good idea to have a tracker when you fly at Argonia. For those who cant/don't use a tracker, put your name and address or ph# inside your rocket. EVERY part of your rocket. Last year I had a dual deploy rocket separate prematurely and snap the shock cord. The upper section had a tracker in the nose cone so I found that part no problem. The booster section was MIA. Every part of this rocket had my name in it and so when the booster ended up in the lost and found I was notified. I use those little return address mailing labels and stick them inside the av-bay, nosecone, payload section and booster. It's not guaranteed you will get your stuff back but it puts a few more of the odds in your favor.
This is great advice.

Sometimes bad things happen to good rockets and parts get separated.

There are so many folks wandering the fields looking for their own stuff, often rocket parts become self-retrieving. Put at least your name and TRA number and certainly phone number is really good. You might even get a call while you're still searching. ;)

--Lance.

As a lifelong flyer at the Argonia Rocket Pasture I have been asked many times, "Which rockets do you put a tracker in?"

My answer is always, "The ones I want to get back."

Seriously, the terrain may seem flat and easy, but that can be deceiving. While the actively growing crops are at a distinct minimum during AIRFest time, there are still a smattering of fields with growing crops or stubble. One definite piece of good news is that the Sorghum Sudangrass that almost ate me alive last year is not there - can I get a HUGE hurrah for that.

Use a tracker. Put your name on each part of your rocket. You're quite likely to have a successful recovery if you do.

--Lance.

It really depends upon the anticipated weather, IMO. All things (weather) being pretty equal ...

I think Friday is a great day. Folks with extreme projects will be ready to launch when they arrive on-site. If the weather is favorable they aren't going to let a good weather day pass. There might not be quite as continuous flights, but there will be some spectacular ones for sure. The added benefit to Friday is that the pace is less hectic than on Saturday.

If hectic and a larger crowd are your thing, Saturday is off the chain in that regard.

Every day is good - weather is the over-arching factor/constraint that has the most effect on the proceedings. When viewing a forecast, watch for cloud cover (low percentage is good) and winds (< 10-12). BTW, looking at the weather forecast before about two days out in this part of the country is almost useless.

Talk to the people and the vendors while you're on-site. You're going to catch the bug, you realize? ... just sayin' ...

--Lance.

I have a rocket that I'm working on already :)
I've been a long time lurker here and love reading the builds/flights.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the rockets at Airfest and getting some cool ideas to bring back home to finish the one i'm working on!

We really tried to cut back on the number of rockets we are bringing to Airfest:
004.jpg

How did we do?

I am only bringing half as many, but plan on flying each one twice.

At the moment I'm only bringing my Loki 54 M rocket. I have a homebrew N I may fly in a 5" rocket, but that would be the extent of my flying this year.

I cannot wait for this launch.

At the moment I'm only bringing my Loki 54 M rocket. I have a homebrew N I may fly in a 5" rocket, but that would be the extent of my flying this year.

I cannot wait for this launch.
I'm trying to get my 4" with a N1000 ready, have to finish it still....got the 54mm rocket ready for a K250.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

It will be great to see all of you again since missing the event last year...
Same old story, work 14 hours then get home Saturday afternoon and, get 6 hours of sleep before driving out 750 miles to Kansas.
This year (Sunday) it's just helping out my good friend Nick Adams with his O flight and, making sure that Wild Jake Brown finally gets his L-3 in the bag.
No projects for me this year, plans...big plans for next but, that's what we do when friends need help.
The immaculate desolation of Kansas is calling me back.
See all of real soon!;)

It will be great to see all of you again since missing the event last year...
Same old story, work 14 hours then get home Saturday afternoon and, get 6 hours of sleep before driving out 750 miles to Kansas.
This year (Sunday) it's just helping out my good friend Nick Adams with his O flight and, making sure that Wild Jake Brown finally gets his L-3 in the bag.
No projects for me this year, plans...big plans for next but, that's what we do when friends need help.
The immaculate desolation of Kansas is calling me back.
See all of real soon!;)

Well, I am certainly looking forward to seeing you! 2 years is too long.

Well, I am certainly looking forward to seeing you! 2 years is too long.
You too Sharon! :eek: I've already made a mental list for Nick of people he has to meet while there and, you and, Wayne are high up...
Have a safe trip. All of you- have a safe trip and, I'll see you briefly on Sunday!

I'm looking forward to Saturday. I hope the weather holds out for good launches. I plan to fly my 4" scratchbuilt to ~18k on a M1297. Highest flight to date. As much as I would like to stick around Sunday, I'll have the girlfriend and my parents in tow (my dad flies too.... if he feels like it), so we may start heading back Sat evening. Depends on when we arrive Saturday AM (based on how far we make it Friday night).

I'm looking forward to Saturday. I hope the weather holds out for good launches. I plan to fly my 4" scratchbuilt to ~18k on a M1297. Highest flight to date. As much as I would like to stick around Sunday, I'll have the girlfriend and my parents in tow (my dad flies too.... if he feels like it), so we may start heading back Sat evening. Depends on when we arrive Saturday AM (based on how far we make it Friday night).

Hope to see you there, no WAC Corporal?

Hope to see you there, no WAC Corporal?

Nah, not this time. I'm kind of waiting for the "next big thing" in 75mm reloads if someone comes out with such a thing, so.... In the meantime I have been tossing around the idea of a Tiny Tim booster... Time will tell.

-Mike

Wayne and I have often eaten Prickly Pear Jam and I have eaten Nopales in the past (it's okay, but not my thing). My favorite is Prickly Pear Margaritas :drool:

quoted in part from Wikipedia:

The fruit of prickly pears is edible.

In Mexico, prickly pears are often used to make appetizers, soups, and salads through entrees, vegetable dishes, and breads to desserts, beverages, candy, jelly, or drinks. The young stem segments, usually called nopales, are also edible in most species of Opuntia. They are commonly used in Mexican cuisine in dishes such as huevos con nopales (eggs with nopal), or tacos de nopales. Nopales are also an important ingredient in New Mexican cuisine.

The prickly pear also grows widely on the islands of Malta, where it is enjoyed by the Maltese as a typical summer fruit (known as bajtar tax-xewk, literally 'spiny figs'), as well as being used to make the popular liqueur known as bajtra. The prickly pear is so commonly found in the Maltese islands, it is often used as a dividing wall between many of Malta's characteristic terraced fields in place of the usual rubble walls.

The prickly pear was introduced to Eritrea during the period of Italian colonisation between 1890 and 1940. It is locally known there as beles and is abundant during the late summer and early autumn (late July through September). The beles from the holy monastery of Debre Bizen is said to be particularly sweet and juicy. In Libya, it is a popular summer fruit and called by the locals Hindi, which literally means Indian.

In Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and other parts of the Middle East, prickly pears of the yellow and orange varieties are grown by the side of farms, beside railway tracks and other otherwise non-cultivable land. It is sold in summer by street vendors, and is considered a refreshing fruit for that season.

Tungi is the local St. Helenian name for cactus pears. The plants (Indian fig opuntia) were originally brought to the island by the colonial ivory traders from East Africa in the 1850s. Tungi cactus now grows wild in the dry coastal regions of the island. Three principal cultivars of tungi grow on the island: the 'English' with yellow fruit; the 'Madeira' with large red fruit; and the small, firm 'spiny red'.Tungi also gives its name to a local Spirit distilled at The St Helena distillery at Alarm Forest, the most remote distillery in the world, made entirely from the opuntia cactus.

In Mexican folk medicine, its pulp and juice are considered treatments for wounds and inflammation of the digestive and urinary tracts.

Oh man, I didn't see this...
That's really interesting..
Funny too,, I bet to everyone from the west especially southwest this is common knowledge,, lol..
I knew the Prickly Pear was edible, but I thought not very palatable,, so only if you really had too..
There's a passage that says they're sweet,, and you've had jam Sharron ??
Wow,, I guess it just doesn't look like a particularly sweet plant,, lol..
I sure wouldn't want to walk through a field of them in shorts,, lol...

Teddy

You too Sharon! :eek: I've already made a mental list for Nick of people he has to meet while there and, you and, Wayne are high up...
Have a safe trip. All of you- have a safe trip and, I'll see you briefly on Sunday!

Gus, if I am still around on Sunday look me up. Debating on when to leave due to workload......

I know better than to believe the long range weather forecasts in Kansas. But. . . . Airfest weather looks pretty darn good!

FRIDAY - Mostly Sunny, High temp - 85, Low - 63, Winds - 11 MPH
SATURDAY - Partly Cloudy, High temp - 87, Low - 64, Winds - 9 MPH
SUNDAY - Sunny, High temp - 88, Low - 64, Winds - 6 MPH
MONDAY - Mostly Sunny, High temp - 86, Low - 63, Winds - 6 MPH

Folks, it doesn't get any better than this! Bring you best rockets and your best friends and join us on the Rocket Pasture Sept.1-4 for Airfest 23!

I know better than to believe the long range weather forecasts in Kansas. But. . . . Airfest weather looks pretty darn good!

Folks, it doesn't get any better than this! Bring you best rockets and your best friends and join us on the Rocket Pasture Sept.1-4 for Airfest 23!

Yea I have been watching the weather too. Looking good. I may try to put up my J800 on Friday and M1850 on Saturday.

Now you've done it Bob. And we have preserved it in a quote, so no denying it later....
I may be a newbee to the Rocket pasture, but I don't remember a day there that the wind didn't get over 20 mph.... Here's me hoping!
:surprised:

Whoa! Bob got them to turn off the wind in Kansas! :surprised:

Back