AIRFEST XXIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBrown

Phoenix Driver
Reaction score
AirFest XXII will be held at the Rocket Pasture in Argonia over the long Labor Day weekend, September 1-4, 2017.

Like past years, AirFest will feature plenty of wide open recovery space, a 50,000'AGL waiver and plenty of friends and vendors. It's not too early to start making plans to attend.

Who's coming and what are you planning on flying this year?

Last edited:
I'm n the planning stage for 2017 and hoping to make it - flights planned will be - hoping to get my first Mach flight and a personal altitude record over 10K which I realize not that high for most of you but big for me :)

1. Ultimate QCC explorer - M1939 or N2000
2. My first MD - 54MD Justin Ferrand rocket K720
3. Loc Magnum Airstart K675 to H100's ish
4. MAC Performance Firestick L640
5. MAC VTS. K445
6. LOC Hi-Tech. H45
7. Super Batray I ###
8. 4" Darkstar on L something
9. 3" punisher on K535 ish

What got me interested in airfest - the big projects to see there and There is a certain scratch built V2 L3 flight I'm hoping to see.

and now I better get to building

Last edited:
Don't you mean 2017?

I'm n the planning stage for 2017 and hoping to make it - flights planned will be - hoping to get my first Mach flight and a personal altitude record over 10K which I realize not that high for most of you but big for me :)

1. Ultimate QCC explorer - M1939 or N2000
2. My first MD - 54MD Justin Ferrand rocket K720
3. Loc Magnum Airstart K675 to H100's ish
4. MAC Performance Firestick L640
5. MAC VTS. K445
6. LOC Hi-Tech. H45
7. Super Batray I ###
8. 4" Darkstar on L something
9. 3" punisher on K535 ish

What got me interested in airfest - the big projects to see there and There is a certain scratch built V2 L3 flight I'm hoping to see.

and now I better get to building

Man, pressure is on. Airfest is also a great place for personal bests. I set my altitude and speed there last year 13.9k and Mach 1.37...bought me a trip to the sorghum though. I hope to push that same rocket a bit harder also this year.

Plan is to make my L3 flight on my scratch built 7.5" V2 on an M650 (10:1 trust to weight off the pad, so it isn't as harry as it sounds). Also, planning to fly my Mongoose 54 to > 3 miles this year (motor as of yet determined). Pedestrian by many Airfest standards, but I learned last year to leave plenty of time for just sitting back and watching the insanity.

Last edited:
Looking forward to visiting with friends from near and far!

Planning to fly:

-Aerotech Phoenix RCBG
-(modernized) Laser Loc 2.1EA or 3.1: Loki M1378R
-Carbon Slipper (3") CTI M1545G3...Black Rock leftovers
-20 Year Itch (4.5" Arcas-ish...Black Rock leftovers): 33K Ns O4443

-N5800 C-Star minimum diameter...if time and energy permits for a build

Woo! Still not sure what I'm bringing, depends very much on how many flight weekends I get between now and then.

Fantastic News - Haven't missed an AIRFEST in 16 years.

Since I cannot attend BALLS this year (sniff, sniff), I will be bringing my 4" minimal diameter N project to AIRFEST!!!!! Of course, I will be in Argonia over Labor Day....... See ya'll ....Andy

I will be there for the 7th year in a row. Will attempt a M to L two stage. Should be great. Looking forward. Should have a new diesel to tow the ol' RV to the pasture.

Looking forward to visiting with friends from near and far!

Planning to fly:

-Aerotech Phoenix RCBG
-(modernized) Laser Loc 2.1EA or 3.1: Loki M1378R
-Carbon Slipper (3") CTI M1545G3...Black Rock leftovers
-20 Year Itch (4.5" Arcas-ish...Black Rock leftovers): 33K Ns O4443

-N5800 C-Star minimum diameter...if time and energy permits for a build

Awesome!! Will that stay under the 50K waiver?

andrew

Very excited, missed last year so really looking forward to this year. I'll have at least a 54mm loki M with a rocket not much bigger than the motor.

That's Saturday thru Tuesday? Is this correct?

Preston

AirFest XXII will be held at the Rocket Pasture in Argonia over the long Labor Day weekend, September 2-5, 2017.

Like past years, AirFest will feature plenty of wide open recovery space, a 50,000'AGL waiver and plenty of friends and vendors. It's not too early to start making plans to attend.

Awesome!! Will that stay under the 50K waiver?

andrew

You bet! I'll engineer them all to stay under 50k!

20 Yr. Itch in it's Black Rock form is all aluminum and has potential for 60k or more. For Airfest, it will receive a skin of glass which increases both weight and drag. I'll make sure she stays under the waiver.

If I do the N5800, it will be intentionally over-engineered. Not an overbuilt tank, but due of the history of the motor in minimum diameter ships, the fins will be stout....as in uber attached, thicker and wider in span than optimized shape/size.

-Eric-

I'm planning on breaking the sound barrier. I'll be out next Saturday, I need to take my L2 test and fly my winter project. I have a J500 I got for Christmas burning a hole in my pocket.

You bet! I'll engineer them all to stay under 50k!

20 Yr. Itch in it's Black Rock form is all aluminum and has potential for 60k or more. For Airfest, it will receive a skin of glass which increases both weight and drag. I'll make sure she stays under the waiver.

If I do the N5800, it will be intentionally over-engineered. Not an overbuilt tank, but due of the history of the motor in minimum diameter ships, the fins will be stout....as in uber attached, thicker and wider in span than optimized shape/size.

-Eric-

Got an epoxy in mind? For my min diam 2 stage fins are tacked on and glued with fillets using Hysol e-120hp great stuff.

andrew

Of course I'll be there for my 13th or 14th Airfest (don't remember when my first one was?).

If I get around to it, I plan to build a 54mm min diameter sustainer for my 75mm min diameter rocket. M1850W staging to a K270W long burn. 35k+ altitude
Other than that, I'll see how many pounds of AP I can fit in the trunk and how many rockets will fit in the back seat of my WRX :)

Oh man,,,
Bob,,
Is it really necessary to get me all wound up over Airfest so early...
I get as excited as a kid on Christmas morning just thinking about that launch...

Can't wait...

Teddy

Plans so far...

2.6in Blue Iguana....AT single use J125...circa 1988
4in Punisher...EX 75/7600 M1800 White Tiger
5in Blue Iguana...EX 98/12500 N2500 White Willie
8in Thin Blue Line...EX 152/35000 05000 White Willie

Preston

Plans so far.

Hang out with Preston ^^^^ sweet line up!!

I am in the middle of moving and feeling like I won't have as many projects ready on time. Hopefully I will be able to make time to mix/build and prep after settling in to the new house.

I am in the middle of moving and feeling like I won't have as many projects ready on time. Hopefully I will be able to make time to mix/build and prep after settling in to the new house.

Moving sucks. Have done that from time to time lol.

The most common thing heard at AirFest:

[video=youtube;arZdeg_fL-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I[/video]

5" Blue Iguana AT N1000
Wildman Extreme CTI M2080SK or M2045BS
8" DX3 on a CTI O25000
Maybe an old AT K125 if its not too windy in something light.

Well, AIRFest just became a reality for me.

Probably the 7.5" WAC Corporal on some Loki 75/8000 goodness.

I'm working on a few other smaller things... I have a punisher I need to wrap up, a Minnie Magg that needs built (with a 54mm hole, no less), and my 4" scratchbuilt on a M1297 if I don't get to fly it before then.

Hoping I can make it out for the launch on Friday, Saturday and work my way back home on Sunday/Monday. I am not sure if the GF will be coming with me but I think my dad wants to join, so hopefully we can hit up the Cosmosphere...

Back