Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: AIRFEST XXIII

Listen up ... AIRFest 23 Pre-Registration ends on August 14, 2017. Period.

Don't miss out on a nice discount and a guarantee of getting a t-shirt. We will run out. If you're bringing guests, sign them up for the Saturday Burger Blast. Where else can you eat for $5.00?

On-line only you can pay with a credit card (via Paypal) and the check-in process at the field is a piece of cake.

Go to http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/ Click on Registration

Don't delay, register today so you don't forget. Pre-registration ends soon. Really soon.

Also, we need Range Duty volunteers. Don't make me send Terry looking for you. Seriously, this is going to be a huge launch and we need your help. If each flyer takes a shift or two, there's still plenty of time over the weekend to get all your flights in. We truly appreciate everyone who volunteers and all volunteers will go into the vendor raffle.

Go to http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/ Click on Volunteers

Thanks, --Lance.
    KLOUDBusters

I'd like to donate to the raffle for volunteers Lance...
    And any other raffle you're having as well...

Teddy

www.Onebadhawk.com

Ted Chernok
    Old Bridge New Jersey
    Radical Rocketeers
    MDRA
    METRA- BoD
    NAR # 87063
    Tripoli # 14443
    Level 3

I would urge everyone within driving distance of Argonia to at least go see Airfest. Bob, Lance and their guys run an extremely well organized rocket launch.
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Quote Originally Posted by llickteig1 View Post
    Also, we need Range Duty volunteers. Don't make me send Terry looking for you.
    I don't know my schedule for when I'll be arriving and leaving, but count on me to find a spot somewhere to help out!

-Kevin

Camping question - this is my first trip to the rocket pasture and really going to get the full experience by tent camping with my boys, hmm.

1. Are fires allowed (cooking)
    2. Is the area for parking / camping mowed?
    3. Any tips are tricks? . Besides a hotel
    4. How far to nearest town / general convenient store

Thanks
    L1 - Ash Grove RIP L2 - OAMC - Tripoli OH - L3 - Mid West Power
    NAR - 96297 TRA-15713
    2016 burned - 24824 Ns
    2017 burned to date - 1,395.0 Ns

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@JET View Post
    Camping question - this is my first trip to the rocket pasture and really going to get the full experience by tent camping with my boys, hmm.

1. Are fires allowed (cooking)
    2. Is the area for parking / camping mowed?
    3. Any tips are tricks? . Besides a hotel
    4. How far to nearest town / general convenient store

Thanks
    1. fires must be in a metal enclosure like a fire pit. http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/camping.aspx
    2. Depends on the spot some is mowed usually but the farther away from RSO/LCO it will be a little taller.
    3. I camp in my trailer every year. Depends on the weather. It has been unusually cool so far this August. Plan on some jackets for evening if it is cooler. Of course in 2013 it was 105+ during the day and upper 90's at night. This summer hasn't been overly hot. We will see. Look up Argonia, Ks on Weather.com before you come for a forecast. Surprisingly bugs are not an issue normally. Bring lots of water or plan to get some.
    4. Anthony is 17 miles away. The Argonia Mart is closed and for sale currently. Also in Wellington about 25-30 miles away has a Walmart.

Bob or Lance may have other suggestions too.
    Last edited by davdue; 15th August 2017 at 07:00 PM.
    Dave Duerksen
    TRA 13362
    Level 1 with Scratchbuilt KC Chief @ LDRS 30
    Level 2 with Scratchbuilt Wildcat (Semroc Laser-X 3X upscale) @ AirFest 18

It's really breezy and dry Nick...
    Like Dave said,,,
    lots of water to drink for you and your boys...

Teddy

www.Onebadhawk.com

Ted Chernok
    Old Bridge New Jersey
    Radical Rocketeers
    MDRA
    METRA- BoD
    NAR # 87063
    Tripoli # 14443
    Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    1. fires must be in a metal enclosure like a fire pit. http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/camping.aspx
    2. Depends on the spot some is mowed usually but the farther away from RSO/LCO it will be a little taller.
    3. I camp in my trailer every year. Depends on the weather. It has been unusually cool so far this August. Plan on some jackets for evening if it is cooler. Of course in 2013 it was 105+ during the day and upper 90's at night. This summer hasn't been overly hot. We will see. Look up Argonia, Ks on Weather.com before you come for a forecast. Surprisingly bugs are not an issue normally. Bring lots of water or plan to get some.
    4. Anthony is 17 miles away. The Argonia Mart is closed and for sale currently. Also in Wellington about 25-30 miles away has a Walmart.

Bob or Lance may have other suggestions too.
    Nick,
    Dave did a good job answering your questions. I'd like to expound a bit on the first question. Fires for cooking. You (and everyone else) will need to be extra vigilant when it comes to open flames in the parking area. The field that you will camp in is an unimproved pasture. It have been mowed and baled so you can expect to see "grass" that looks to be a couple of inches high in your campsite. When we were down there last week, this grass was very dry. We all will need to be extra careful not to set the pasture on fire. With that said, if you have a camp stove, you probably would be better served using it.
    Bob
    Hmmm !!!!

One more thing!
    Over the past 4 weeks or so we have been going through the high altitude requests. To date, we have approved over 840,000' of requests. I don't think I've missed any but if you are still waiting on an approval from us, please send me another email!
    We are less than three weeks out. The pre-registration numbers are through the roof! The field and all of our launch equipment is ready! What are we missing/short of? The short answer is volunteers. If you are coming, please volunteer for at least one shift. It helps us out immensely and gets you enrolled in the volunteer raffle for lots of cool merchandise.
    See you on the Rocket Pasture,
    Bob
    Hmmm !!!!

WOW! Looking at the Preregistration, here is where people are coming from to visit the Argonia Rocket Pasture:

Wow,, that's really cool to see that way..
    I'm surprised at the white states in the east..
    There are a lot of seriously cool clubs and flyers / people...
    So Carolina,, No Carolina,, Delaware....
    That's quite surprising...

Very cool to see in this format though...
    Would you please keep updating it ??

Teddy

www.Onebadhawk.com

Ted Chernok
    Old Bridge New Jersey
    Radical Rocketeers
    MDRA
    METRA- BoD
    NAR # 87063
    Tripoli # 14443
    Level 3

Nick most folks camp on the back row. You'll find RV's and all size of tents and trailers there. The sooner you arrive the closer you can get to the flight line.

Forget Disney land or other places. Argonia rocket pasture is the happiest place on Earth.
    15,099 Newtons burned in 2013.
    32,207 Newtons burned in 2014.
    31,251.5 Newtons burned in 2015.
    17,667 Newtons burned in 2016.
    Leonard, Pawhuska, OK, and Argonia, KS TRA: 13005 Level 3 KG5ROJ

I'm thinking that NY will be green next year.
    Dan Patell
    TRA 10904 L3

Simplify your Raven's Wiring with Simple Circuit!!!

Easy Research Rocketry
    29mm Research Hardware, 3d Printed Accessories, and Rocket Kits!

Mind you the map above is based on the Preregistration list. It does not include those who at the last minute can't take it anymore, throw the rocket gear in the car/truck, and set the GPS to Argonia, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAT View Post
    WOW! Looking at the Preregistration, here is where people are coming from to visit the Argonia Rocket Pasture:
    Well I'm originally from S.D. so you could color that at least a little green. I'll be there for the duration.

Tony
    why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

AIRFEST XXIII

Thx for the camping suggestions everyone - we do have a camping stove , so no need for sparkies at cooking time.

I'm thankful for the cooler than normal temps, hope they hold out. Hope to meet several of you at the rocket pasture! Only able to hit 4 launches this year and this will be the biggest trip.

Only 6 planned flights for our camp
    2- Mini AGM on G80's ( Sat my boys)
    Ultimate QCC - O3400 (Sunday morning first thing when Gus arrives)
    54MD - K675 or 535 - Sat
    4" QCC - K675 or 535- Sat
    MAC P Firestick XL tbt but want to try a Loki 54 depending on budget - Sat or Sun
    Last edited by Nick@JET; Yesterday at 12:55 PM.
    L1 - Ash Grove RIP L2 - OAMC - Tripoli OH - L3 - Mid West Power
    NAR - 96297 TRA-15713
    2016 burned - 24824 Ns
    2017 burned to date - 1,395.0 Ns

Quote Originally Posted by BBrown View Post
    One more thing!

We are less than three weeks out. The pre-registration numbers are through the roof! The field and all of our launch equipment is ready! What are we missing/short of? The short answer is volunteers. If you are coming, please volunteer for at least one shift. It helps us out immensely and gets you enrolled in the volunteer raffle for lots of cool merchandise.
    See you on the Rocket Pasture,
    Bob
    Sharon and I volunteered for a couple of slots on Sunday. We are hoping to arrive on Thursday early enough to help set up the range also. Really looking forward to this launch! Thanks for all you do Bob, and all the other Kloudbuster gang.
    I have a question regarding the dry conditions, are we going to be able to fly sparkies? I have a K540 metalstorm and an L1250 dark matter.
    NAR 92675 L-3 TRA 14800 KG7IUN
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayco View Post
    Sharon and I volunteered for a couple of slots on Sunday. We are hoping to arrive on Thursday early enough to help set up the range also. Really looking forward to this launch! Thanks for all you do Bob, and all the other Kloudbuster gang.
    I have a question regarding the dry conditions, are we going to be able to fly sparkies? I have a K540 metalstorm and an L1250 dark matter.
    Wayne,
    Yep, you'll be allowed to fly sparkies. The only rule we have for sparkles is that they must fly from the pads set up out in the dirt (60's or 70's) regardless of impulse.
    Bob
    Hmmm !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaNX01 View Post
    Forget Disney land or other places. Argonia rocket pasture is the happiest place on Earth.
    +1

I agree.
    Dave Duerksen
    TRA 13362
    Level 1 with Scratchbuilt KC Chief @ LDRS 30
    Level 2 with Scratchbuilt Wildcat (Semroc Laser-X 3X upscale) @ AirFest 18

I just received an interesting email from the FAA. Peter Cadra from VA is bringing a monster of a rocket that will be powered by a cluster of 5 N motors putting it in the P impulse range. The email I received was his executed Certificate of Authorization. I want to say thank you to Kent Newman and all his folks for putting together the application and PJ and Rodney for moving it quickly through the FAA system! If you are still sitting on the fence about attending AirFest, here's a very good reason to join us over the Labor Day weekend down on the Rocket Pasture!
    Hmmm !!!!

I just received an interesting email from the FAA. Peter Cadra from VA is bringing a monster of a rocket that will be powered by a cluster of 5 N motors putting it in the P impulse range. The email I received was his executed Certificate of Authorization. I want to say thank you to Kent Newman and all his folks for putting together the application and PJ and Rodney for moving it quickly through the FAA system! If you are still sitting on the fence about attending AirFest, here's a very good reason to join us over the Labor Day weekend down on the Rocket Pasture!
    Thanks for all the effort to make this launch what it is, and as for that flight...
    So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Makes me want to say Hmmm !!!
    Could we get a bit more info. on the monster of a rocket?

troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Yeowza! Any idea what day Peter plans to fly? That'll be a pretty awesome flight!

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by troj View Post
    Yeowza! Any idea what day Peter plans to fly? That'll be a pretty awesome flight!

-Kevin
    Much like your projects "30 minutes from now!" Truthfully, no idea. If I were him I would want to see the weather/wind forecast before making that decision.
    Hmmm !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayco View Post
    Makes me want to say Hmmm !!!
    Could we get a bit more info. on the monster of a rocket?
    Here's what the owner sent me a while ago "My BFR is just under 24 ft tall with the airframe transitioning from 16" to 12". It will weigh around 375lbs and be powered by 5 LOKI Blue reloads producing around 55K ns."
    Hmmm !!!!

Wayne,
    Yep, you'll be allowed to fly sparkies. The only rule we have for sparkles is that they must fly from the pads set up out in the dirt (60's or 70's) regardless of impulse.
    Bob

Yeah, I remember that rule. First year we came, I had an Estes Executioner with a G75 Metalstorm. Hiked out to the 60's pads and set it up next to a guy loading a 2 stage. The only way I could tell where my rocket was, it was right next to this huge 12 ft. rocket. Learned my lesson, if you're gonna fly a sparkie, make it a BIG sparkie.

Here's what the owner sent me a while ago "My BFR is just under 24 ft tall with the airframe transitioning from 16" to 12". It will weigh around 375lbs and be powered by 5 LOKI Blue reloads producing around 55K ns."
    Ok, 5 LOKI "N" motors.... Don't you have to get special dispensation from the Pope for that? Someone needs to give God a "heads up" for that flight, right?

Is there any information on frequency allocations and procedures for the different kinds of trackers? I am a new TeleGPS owner and would like to be as prepared as possible for my L3 certification attempt.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave47 View Post
    Is there any information on frequency allocations and procedures for the different kinds of trackers? I am a new TeleGPS owner and would like to be as prepared as possible for my L3 certification attempt.

David
    David,
    We do not track nor try to control tracker frequencies. We have tried in the past and there are always a lot of folks who do as they please. My only advice to you is to get off the default frequency. Those are always messed up.
    Bob
    Hmmm !!!!

David,
    We do not track nor try to control tracker frequencies. We have tried in the past and there are always a lot of folks who do as they please. My only advice to you is to get off the default frequency. Those are always messed up.
    Bob
    Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep this in mind. I've got some other good advice, too, so I'll be as ready as possible.

David.