• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Info on the Estes Optima (2035)/The Shadow (2094)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm reworking my .ork files for the Estes Optima (2035). Here's the old:

17126440017_b746d49238_c.jpg

And here's what the new could look like:

Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Black & White).jpg

However, as nice as the scan of the Optima's instructions, fins, and decal is over on JimZ's site (and The Shadow's instructions, fins, and decals on plans.rocketshoppe/oldrocketplans's sites), there's no indication of scale for them. I don't remember where I got the dimensions for the fins exactly for the original sim. Problem is, I never got the dimensions for the decals.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Optima's decals may have come in a smaller and a larger size. Of course, I can't seem to find that info now, and I have my doubts about the source (which may have gone offline). The image above is based on a guesstimate using the JimZ image. Problem is, I want unimpeachable sims.

What I need to finish my sim's updates:
The lengths of the tube couplers. The presumed lengths (based on the instructions' dimensions) don't match up with part numbers I've identified.
The length and width of the shock cord.
A scan of the fins with a ruler for scale. If it's not in the matrix, having the ruler along the root edge is best.
A scan of the decals with a ruler. However, a photograph of an original with a ruler in situ showing the width of the letter "i" would do.

Thanks!
Jim

I have unbuilt kits of both :). I'll see what I can do in the next couple days

this should get you started- (sem roc repos. they're spot on to the originals)
14000909199_f63fc76705_h.jpg

here's an old photo of when i got my shadow kit (I've since gotten the Optima kit, and built 2 more blue tube Optimas :)

6176388266_1e12ee840c_b.jpg

Yes! I like all 3 of them!

I remember back in the mid 80's (early teens for me), I got the Estes Designer Special for Christmas one year. After that I didn't build too many Estes kits, instead building and flying my own stuff, with a few contest models thrown in. Now, I've been building a lot of LPR Estes kits, especially the ones from my childhood, but I want more! I might consider buying another designer special and using the parts to clone some of these.

body tubes are 11" 14 1/8" 14 1/8"

Couplers are 3" long for BT80, the BT50 ones are 2"

The MMT tubes are 13.5" 13.5" and 2.75"

Hi All... I'm back to doing OR files again (had to take a break from it due to work/travel)... I still need a scan of the decals for the Optima w/a ruler. I'm afraid that the .ork files I created for this were lost in the HD Crash of 2016 :mad::hot:. So, I'll need to recreate them from the ground up. :cry:

Hi All... I'm back to doing OR files again (had to take a break from it due to work/travel)... I still need a scan of the decals for the Optima w/a ruler. I'm afraid that the .ork files I created for this were lost in the HD Crash of 2016 :mad::hot:. So, I'll need to recreate them from the ground up. :cry:

if I don't reply back tonight, send me a PM. I've got a set of decals I can scan

Opps! I did get that pm but got buried in diapers and sippy cup requests! I've located my hidden from my self storage location or my Optima...now to remember to scan them tonight...

After a long wait... Some computer problems (last year), and a little help from my friends (Thanks Everyone!!!)(I get by with a little help from my friends... I get high (altitudes) with a little help from my friends) I've got something I think you'll love... The updated versions of the Estes Optima (2035).

Go and check them out in post #61 of my OR files thread. Old versions of the .ork files had fins for decals (and thus are obsolete and should be tossed). The new ones have "decals on fins".

I think they look a whole lot better now:

than they did...

You might also notice that the "Optima" decal is now rotated "between" two fins, instead of in line with one of them. I'm surprised it took me so long to recognize the error (and it was a PITA to fix, as I did it in all of the sims).

Something is off on the new fins....sweep angles look right in the old one, new one the back of the fin looks too flat and the the front too swept back.

Pups be my eyes playing tricks on me too

Last edited:
Something is off on the new fins....sweep angles look right in the old one, new one the back of the fin looks too flat and the the front too swept back.

Pups be my eyes playing tricks on me too

It's your eyes... I just opened the old and the new, and compared them. The shapes are identical (except for the fin tabs).

Ah ok. Looking at it now, it's probably just he rotation playing with my eyes.

Back