BattlePark - February 11 & 12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It was only 2 weeks from the last launch until this next one! That's because the January launch had been rescheduled. Lets hope that doesn't happen to this launch!

OK, who's coming and whatch ya bringin'

I have my Astrobee 1500 upscale that I'd like to fly.
A test flight prior to doing a flight with airstart of the outboards.
Other than that, think I'll check out wind conditions before I decide.

Unmasked Paint1.jpg allup paint.jpg Aft End 2.jpg

Last edited:
Now that looks sweet! When will the 1B be done?

I don't quite know for sure, now.
Hoped to have it done by LDRS - but looking at the calendar and realizing there are only eight weekends left - that's a rather tall order.

The dilemma is this : the choice is put ALL my time in the 1B - hoping to get it done, OR putting the time left in two or three other projects that need work, that I know I can finish for LDRS.

Have a new Quantum Leap two stage in the build que, needs work to finish it.

Have 4 inch dia. Wac Corporal w/Tiny Tim booster (sustainer flown several times, not the whole thing), a smaller Nike Terrier two stager (sustainer flown several times, not the whole thing), both need work.
Older Aerobee Hi and Nike Ajax need some repair work as well.

Gotta make some hard choices as the clock winds down.

two stage projcts.jpg Wac Corporal 4 Inch dia..jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how I would do that, but I think I would get all those others ready and do the 1B over the summer so it's ready for the fall BattlePark launch!

MaxQ - that Astrobee looks nice and I can't wait to see the 1B this fall.

This weekend I'm hoping to launch my new 3" MAC Performance Rayzor. I'm keeping an eye on the weather because I think I can only make it out either after lunch Saturday or earlier Sunday. Also, I think my daughter Amelia will be coming along with me to launch a few of her LP rockets and help track my Excel and Rayzor.

Talked to Ken at Performance Hobbies. He will be at the launch early Sat more to drop off any orders.

I'm planning on flying my 6" Red Max. Elaine is planning on flying her Competitor.

The SLI team from the last launch will be doing their full scale flight on a L. A SLI team from Ohio is also planning on attending. If they do, they will be doing their full scale flight on a L.

The GW IREC team is also planning on attending to do payload testing.

Looks like we are going to be busy.

Ben

MaxQ - that Astrobee looks nice and I can't wait to see the 1B this fall.

This weekend I'm hoping to launch my new 3" MAC Performance Rayzor. I'm keeping an eye on the weather because I think I can only make it out either after lunch Saturday or earlier Sunday. Also, I think my daughter Amelia will be coming along with me to launch a few of her LP rockets and help track my Excel and Rayzor.

Ken - Thanks. It was a fun build and went pretty quickly.
Nice build thread on your Mac Rayzor.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137522-MAC-Performance-Rayzor-3-quot-Build-Thread/page2
Like to talk to you about your soldering station...I have an Eggtimer Quark in the que.
Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
Ok, about the weather. I check Accuweather, the weather channel, the weather underground and all of them are saying mid to upper 60s on Saturday, and mid to upper 70s on Sunday. Accuweather is saying 78 deg. on Sunday. It also looks like a little less clouds on Sunday, but if the ceiling is up on Saturday, that won't matter. All of them are calling for less wind on Saturday, but its like 7mph on Sat. vs. 8mph on Sunday so I don't think that will matter much unless the upper levels winds have a bigger difference.

The bottom line, it's going to be a great warm launch! Probably t-shirt weather!

Ken - Thanks. It was a fun build and went pretty quickly.
Nice build thread on your Mac Rayzor.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137522-MAC-Performance-Rayzor-3-quot-Build-Thread/page2
Like to talk to you about your soldering station...I have an Eggtimer Quark in the que.
Hope to see you there.

Thanks....I also hope to see you there. So far it looks like I'll be there Sunday, but, with two kids my plans have been known to change. The Quantum has some nice features and it wasn't too hard to assemble once you get used to soldering small parts.

I'm hoping to make it it out with the 1.6" DX3 I just "finished". Unfortunately, I can't ground test the ejection charges at my house (townhouse lawns are too small for that). Does anyone see and issue with me doing my ground tests at the launch site? Maybe over by the away cell? Is there a precedent for this kind of activity?

I'm hoping to make it it out with the 1.6" DX3 I just "finished". Unfortunately, I can't ground test the ejection charges at my house (townhouse lawns are too small for that). Does anyone see and issue with me doing my ground tests at the launch site? Maybe over by the away cell? Is there a precedent for this kind of activity?

No problem doing charge testing at the site. You should be able to test at the LPR pads.

Ben

Sadly I can not make it this time. I hope you have a great time, and great flying.

Had a pretty great day Saturday. It started cold and a little breezy. It felt like about 30 deg wind chills. By the end of the day, the cloud deck lifted, the sun shine came and it was t-shirt weather. Sweatshirts for some. The full scale SLI launch on an L was a great flight. Ben and Elaine both got flights off today along with many others.

I had a EX flight in Grapeshot with a 3g 54mm that was running just over 1000 psi. That was the same nozzle I fly some 4g propellants at 800 psi. This mix burns fast. It didn't hit hard, but it sure got going good. Burnsim had it at a 37% K934. What was interesting was that it got about 3/4 the altitude of the slower burning 4g mix. The only real difference between the two is the fast stuff is vacuumed a lot during processing and the other isn't. Anyway, it got 4213 ft. at 483 mph and I was able to drive right up to it when I went to recover.

Dog Whistler went on the slow EX propellant. It was a 4g 38mm with a #18 nozzle that put the pressure at just over 1000 psi. That was a great flight. It hit hard and really sent the rocket flying. It was one of the few times I actually heard Dog Whistler actually whistle. Pretty cool. Burnsim put it at a 73% I-371 and it flew to 2,888 ft. This was the first time Dog Whistler landed in a tree. It was draped over a tree about 40 ft up in the area I call 2 creeks. Fortunately the nose cone and chute were hang low enough we got the power pole on it and was able to pull it down with only minor damage. Mostly it was the mud packed into the aft end when the fin can dropped into the edge of the creek and the soft mud.

Next came the AT motors. I put a J350W in the 4" Patriot. It only weighed 4 lbs 15 oz. so I expected it to get near 4,000 ft. It was a great flight and got 4,150 ft. The Stratologger SL100, a barometric altimeter also said it went 1053 mph. Nobody believed it went the fast, but I pushed that until Mike told me the fastest flier had to buy the beer afterwards.

My last flight was the PML Callisto on a H180W. I knew the H128W would put it about 2,100 ft, but since the clouds were lifting, the winds dropping, I figured I've give it a shot and expected near 3,000 ft. It went 2,890 ft. at 453 mph.

I used the JLCR for the two motor ejection flights and popped the chute at 200 ft. I would have used 100 ft, but I wanted it to go a little early so I had a chance to see it before it touched down.

All in all, one of the best days launching at BattlePark in quite some time.

How was the field? Can it absorb .1" of rain?

bill_s has not made any friends yet :dark:....................:wink::)

Bill, nice to connect a face with a name today.
Wasn't sure if that was you.

That yellow HPR that did the disappearing act - what motor was that? - I got to get one of those.

Last edited:
When I got up this morning I wasn't sure if I should pack and go - but I'm sure glad I did.
Very nice weather today.

Didn't hit the rain storm until my return trip on I 64.

Thanks for your help today Jeff, glad I got talked into flying the Astrobee 1500 - FINALLY.
That was a real pretty red flame on that I-284 - :blush:
Now all I have to do is follow a checklist on recovery preparation - :facepalm:

And now that I know it is good and stable off the rail, and can take a hit on landing - looking forward to the next flights and some airstarts.

Last edited:
Glad to help out. I'll be looking forward to seeing the air starts. Let me know if you have any questions about the shear pins.

Maybe next flight you should use another of those I-284s like that one..... :wink:

you didn't see the college guys and their flight did you. For once their rocket flew straight on a L2 motors. They were getting data packets until about half way up. Then it landed down along the creek, left of the gun range. It hung up in a tree and was too far up to get to with the lineman pole. We couldn't go across the creek to the side of the tree it was on because the beaver built a dam and have the creek all backed up and are starting to dam up in the field next to it to create an an even bigger pond. Won't be long and you'll need a boat in that area. Anyway, it was probably better they got caught in the tree and not drowned in the water. Ben is getting them the phone number of the tree climber guy that got Kevin's rocket out of the pines.

Last edited:
I went back and looked, and Saturday's flight of Grapeshot was it's 40th!

Sunday's flight of Callisto was it's 39th recorded flight. I started flying it in 2003 and began recording the flights on EMRR in 2008. Since I only had that and the BD Thug that flew 29/40-120s and flew them a lot, I figure about 10 flights per year for those first 5 years. Callisto should be coming up on flight 100 pretty soon if it hasn't passed that already.

Last edited:
bill_s has not made any friends yet :dark:....................:wink::)

Bill, nice to connect a face with a name today.
Wasn't sure if that was you.

That yellow HPR that did the disappearing act - what motor was that? - I got to get one of those.

Thanks Jim. .. the yellow rocket was an Estes Panavia on a H118 CTI "Classic" which gives a good combo of impulse and burn time in the 4 grain 29 mm. Only light smoke but I wanted to try it and glad I did, may need just a bit more rocket or less cloud next time though. P.S. I see that sims at 2963', I was expecting 2600, no wonder...

Last edited:
Glad to help out. I'll be looking forward to seeing the air starts. Let me know if you have any questions about the shear pins.

You know, I was looking at the Gwiz altimeter breaking the parts down and then thought over the recovery sequence...the dual deploy fired at apogee as expected, followed immediately by main deployment.
We agreed the rocket hit 784 feet, based on altimeter read out.

The Gwiz defaults main ejection at 800 feet.
Given that, I think it was no surprise the main came out when it did.

OK, so the main deployed from the altimeter, not the shock of the upper section breaking the air start wire. Good to know!

Was it 780 or 890? I forget....

Maybe not. As long as you don't over do the apogee charge. You could test it by using a motor that will get 1500 or so and try it with the friction fit. If it does deploy at apogee, not a big deal. If you put something really big in it and get +3000 and deploy at apogee, that's a different story.

Back