Coming Soon To A Planet Near You...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for fun, looking at it realistically, the 3 smaller tubes would be fuel pods for the Engine.
They should not have window decals, but filling port and vent decals, IMO.

Perhaps... But I try to sim them up to what they looked like either in the catalog, or the face card.

I tried the Trident file and I'm getting the same problem, but for some reason the test file I drew up isn't. By comparing the save data between the two, looks like the radial distance, angle, and # of pods aren't being saved in the Trident file. I'll see if I can find out why when I get some time today.

For anyone who's curious, the .ork file is basically a .zip file with a decals folder and a "rocket.ork" file inside, which is basically an XML file that you can load in a text editor(one smarter than Notepad).

I tried the Trident file and I'm getting the same problem, but for some reason the test file I drew up isn't. By comparing the save data between the two, looks like the radial distance, angle, and # of pods aren't being saved in the Trident file. I'll see if I can find out why when I get some time today.

For anyone who's curious, the .ork file is basically a .zip file with a decals folder and a "rocket.ork" file inside, which is basically an XML file that you can load in a text editor(one smarter than Notepad).

I suspect that it's something to do with how I had to split the pods up due to the decals for their body tubes, and the fins being attached to them.

FWIW, I have the same problem with the Trident II (2033)(AKA the "Bident"). However, that has the same decals for the pod body tubes... Must be something with the fins.

Chris... email me your version, and I'll take a peek at it (in the morning, I'm about to go to bed).

Last edited:
Just for fun, looking at it realistically, the 3 smaller tubes would be fuel pods for the Engine.
They should not have window decals, but filling port and vent decals, IMO.

That is a Trident. That marking on the small tubes is (or should be) just a red stripe. The only windows in a Trident's livery are on the nose cone and part way down the forward most body tube, and a couple at the forward end of the aft body tube (engine compartment).

A quick look at a couple of catalog pictures shows a wide divergence in markings (I looked at 1968 and 1971 just now). So there is some room for interpretation for sure....

To get back on topic - this next release of OR sounds like it's going to have quite a few added capabilities. Cool!!

I suspect that it's something to do with how I had to split the pods up due to the decals for their body tubes, and the fins being attached to them.

FWIW, I have the same problem with the Trident II (2033)(AKA the "Bident"). However, that has the same decals for the pod body tubes... Must be something with the fins.

Chris... email me your version, and I'll take a peek at it (in the morning, I'm about to go to bed).
You're on the right track K'Tesh. So far I've narrowed it down to the number of pod instances(Number of copies) being less than 2. If set to 3, then it will save positioning. But alas, with only one decal since the other 2 would be "copies".

Setting the number of copies to 1 works for getting different decals but fails an internal check that is looking for copies >1 in order to save radial distance, etc.

If I make the slight change to >= 1 then it works(in a brute-force way) but affects launch lugs and centering rings saving correctly. May have to raise the issue of enabling # of pod instances to be < 2.

Number of pods = 1 or 2 would seem to be a very common use case, so it absolutely needs to work.

On the other hand, the need to split the pods to get different decals on the different fins attached to the pods is very problematic. First of all there is no "split pods" function the way there is a "split fins", so there is no straightforward way to create the three separate ones. Second, maintaining three (or four) separate pods with attached fins is even more of a bear than just maintaining separate fins. At some point there really needs to be a more flexible way to manage the appearances of the different components. But I'm not sure how high up on anyone's priority list the "eye candy" stuff is. Wish I were more of a java coder or I'd jump in there and try to work on it.

I hope I'm not droning on... I'm trying to keep it on target, So, I created this advanced design to test the version of OR that was sent to me.

No surprises here, I haven't received another copy yet, and it still has the problem I noted before...

Estes Advanced Target Drone (1913) reopened.jpg

I've got other sims that I've worked on using the update, but I won't post them to my files thread until they are stable. That said, here's what I've got for those who do have the developer's program.

Attachments

• Estes Advanced Target Drone (1913).ork
    4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for feedback on the bleeding-edge work-in-progress. I haven't heard anything on a target date for release as it really depends on how much volunteer time gets invested between now and then. It will be worth the wait though.

If you want to contribute, read through this page: https://openrocket.sourceforge.net/getinvolved.html

This was fun.
attachment.php

:eyepop: NICE!!! I had been waiting to try that one, but I hadn't because of the Fins on Fins, and the decals... Photon Disruptor Here I come Again!!!

Last edited:
:eyepop: NICE!!! I had been waiting to try that one, but I hadn't because of the Fins on Fins, and the decals... Photon Disruptor Here I come Again!!!

Note that several aspects are still sort of approximate; I need to do more detailed measurements all around. But it looks nice. :)

Note that several aspects are still sort of approximate; I need to do more detailed measurements all around. But it looks nice. :)

IINM I scanned the fins and the decals for this one (w/measurements)... Lemme go look for 'em.

Hey Neil,
I Love the look of the Solar Warrior... I'm a little sad I didn't get to do it, cause, I really wanted to, but due to the fins on fins on fins and decals, I held off. And you jumped right on it. I'm sure you did a great job on simming it up.

You mentioned externally visible. I took that as you've got some difficulty in getting the MMT right. So, I took the time and created a sim of it for you. Mind you, I did correct the spot for cutting the engine hook's slot... The visual instructions show 3.25", but then if you look at the instructions (or at least the .pdf from Estes) you'll see it should be at 2.25". And I should say that the BT-52 I'm using for the Engine Hook Retaining Ring is an educated guess.

Estes Solar Warrior (3225) Motor Mount.jpg

Attachments

• Estes Solar Warrior (3225) Motor Mount.ork
    2.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
While I'm still having the save issue, I know that Dan is working it (got a message today)... Even so, I feel like I should be a little disruptive... So, I give you a preview of the Photon Disruptor II (2052):

It's not ready for prime time, but once they fix that issue with the pods (because that's what the Tip Plate fins are attached to). It will be. To get the Tip Plate fin's decals to not show through below, I had to halve the fins (to 3/64"), and theoretically add another set of pods and fins that were the bottom half of the fins (I just used the old PBT however (it was faster)).

How about a Cosmic Interceptor? :cool:

That nosecone still wouldn't look right. We still can't do wedge shapes for fins, and that's what the canopy would need to be... to look accurate.

As to the MIRV... I've got a lot on my plate as it is... Neil you want to take that one?

I don't really know the MIRV very well, so I don't really feel qualified to do it (given what a weird animal it is). I am however pondering ways to do the Interceptor nose cone. :)

Speaking of which... is there a detailed drawing of the Interceptor nose cone anywhere?

Last edited:
I don't really know the MIRV very well, so I don't really feel qualified to do it (given what a weird animal it is). I am however pondering ways to do the Interceptor nose cone. :)
The slab sides of it can be done with fins on pods, but that wedge in the front still has me stumped for the moment. I can't work the problem right now because was surprised by a call yesterday telling me that I have classes today . A nosecone could be slipped in there, but tthe sides of it would be rounded.

Last edited:

Speaking of which... is there a detailed drawing of the Interceptor nose cone anywhere?

The nosecone is the same as the Trajector, I believe. I have a Trajector, if you need close up pics and measurements.

The nosecone is the same as the Trajector, I believe. I have a Trajector, if you need close up pics and measurements.

Come to think of it I have a Trajector too... (in the box). Don't bother with measurements yet, I'm still not sure if anything reasonable is actually possible.

OK, I just spent a stupid amount of time working on the Interceptor nose cone, and then the "pod save bug" hit and when I reloaded the file most of my work (but not all!) was gone. So I think I'll just put that aside for now. Sadly I didn't take a screenshot before I saved, was gonna post a picture of my work-in-progress.

I will say this: a *decent* rendition of the Interceptor nose cone is possible, but it is tedious and time consuming (serious ninja sh*+) and definitely not worth the effort. I'll get back to it another time, after the bug is fixed. :)

Back