Igniter wire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunderll

Reaction score
Hi all, Does anyone know a source for the solid core igniter wire like used in commercial igniters? Thanks!!

Make sure you get the real shooter's wire from where ever you source it from. Yellow-not the imitation pink Chinese crap. You should be able to strip the insulation with your thumbnail. The Chinese stuff not so much. Small detail, but it will drive you nuts in the field.

Thank you Fyrwrxz! I did order the Yellow. I've tried other types and just like you said is very frustrating with inferior wire.

Make sure you get the real shooter's wire from where ever you source it from. Yellow-not the imitation pink Chinese crap.

Color of insulation should not be used as an indicator of country of origin. Real shooters wire can be ordered in all colors including pink.

I searched far and wide for 26 ga. Shooters wire, and found it. The smaller size compared to 22 ga. Is nice, for smaller motors like the Aerotech 24/40 RMS which have smaller throats. I'll try to find the supplier info if anyone is interested.

Update: I see that the Seminole listing above shows a 26 ga. twinlead. But their wire is sold by MJG. However, MJG does not sell 26 ga. I'll still find my supplier info.

Last edited:
For G motors and up [size wise] it will fit through nozzle throat, use CAT5e available pretty much every where...Lowes-Home Depot Ace etc.

100_2738_2.jpg

4 paired solid core wire, inside sleeve, all color coded and 24ga.- cheapest way to go.

CAT5/6 whatever is cheap, but the insulation is annoying to strip as it's not intended to be stripped. It's used with insulation displacement connectors in the intended application, so that doesn't matter for them, but it does for us. Shooter's wire is easy to strip with a fingernail. 300ft for $20 is pretty reasonable when most DIY ignitors use about 1ft each. You can reuse it if you like as well.

If you have it already and don't mind stripping it, it does work well. If buying new, I am willing to pay a little more for the convenience. I mean, it's all of 7 cents each.. Maybe a dime if you include shipping.. :)

Make sure you get the real shooter's wire from where ever you source it from. Yellow-not the imitation pink Chinese crap. You should be able to strip the insulation with your thumbnail. The Chinese stuff not so much. Small detail, but it will drive you nuts in the field.

+1

Greg

You can also get single strand of what every gauge you want and twist them together. Get two finishing nails, bend them into a hook. Put one in a vice and the other in a drill. Make a large loop of the wire, hook it onto the drill, pull tight and run the drill until it's twisted as tight as you want.

That also works great for stranded wire you want to use in pairs in av-bays and other places.

Back