MICHIANA ROCKETRY LAUNCH FEB. 18, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Michiana Rocketry Members and Friends

We will be having our next scheduled launch on February 18th Saturday.

The launch on Saturday will be at the usual times of set up at 9 am and flying from 10 am to 5 pm.

We have some new high quality mid and high power launch pads, come try them out.

We will have our 12,000 foot FAA waiver in place, You can go to our website to check what available equipment and launch pads that will be on site.

We will have a porta potty on site, food, and several vendors. We launch on huge farm fields capable of launching everything from A to M motors. We are approximately 1 hour drive from Chicago.

We are scheduled on having the launch unless something drastic happens to the weather, so always check the website before you make the trip down. We will post if the current launch planned is a GO or NO-GO by Friday night.

So, let’s all come on out and have a great time.
Go to https://www.michianarocketry.org/ for the latest launch update and map to field
Regards,
John Olevich
Michiana Rocketry Prefect/President

Last edited:
For the February 18th launch we also will be hosting two very special rocket teams.

MR_3_021817.jpg MR_1_021817.jpg MR_2_021817.jpg

1) Michigan Aeronautical Science Association (MASA) from University of Michigan will be at the February 18th launch to launch a competition research rocket, the rocket specs are:
Fiberglass airframe, Dual bay recovery deployment, 5" diameter, 108" height, Mass of 50.2 lbs, Cesaroni M-1540 motor, Apogee of 9600ft

Also we will be hosting:
2) 4H Rocket team that is currently participating in the NASA Student Launch Program.
The rocket is 106" tall, 5.55" in diameter and with it's scientific payload weighs just over 22 lbs. It will fly on a K1050 motor.

Come out and see these great flights and help cheer on the teams.

Last edited:
Oh really? Hmmmm...So if U of M and ND are there...Rumble on the Tundra? LOL

Seriously though, ND should be there with a 5.5" composite airframe on a Loki L1482 blue for the NASA USLI competition. Nothing set in stone so we'll see.

Last edited:
I was out to dinner on Friday and had a whiskey from a distillery in Three Oaks! I never would have guessed. Rockets, then some fine spirits afterwards. Good combo.

And if anyone has a 4" cardboard or phenolic rocket with a 38mm motor mount. the monthly Run what you brung drag race on AT H100DMS motors is on.

The weather looks fantastic for this weekend! Can't wait to see some great flights. What's everyone bringing?

Last edited:
Michiana Rocketry Members and Friends

Just a reminder that we will be having our scheduled February 18th launch this coming Saturday.

STATUS IS CURRENTLY A GO

The weather forecast so far seems to be looking great for our Saturday launch, 58+ Degree F temperature (for February - wow) , winds 8 to 10 mph, but maybe some wind gusts that go higher, but the best part is SUNNY with little to no clouds, warm and clear sky!

Also back by popular demand:
ROCKETPOXY is sponsoring a catered free lunch for this Saturdays Michiana Rocketry launch February 18th, 2017.
Food will be Brats, Hamburgers, (cooked on site by a professional griller Dewayne on a charcoal grill) pasta salad, soda pop and water.
Served from 11:30 AM to 1 PM EST onsite at Michiana rocketry launch field.

Please support our ROCKETPOXY distributors who help make this possible:
ANIMAL MOTOR WORKS
APOGEE COMPONENTS
COUNTY LINE HOBBIES
MAC PERFORMANCE ROCKETRY
MADCOW ROCKETRY
PERFORMANCE ROCKETRY
PROLINE ROCKETRY
WILDMAN ROCKETRY

The launch on Saturday will be at the usual times of set up at 9 am and flying from 10 am to 5 pm. Note that since we are close to the shortest day of the year and the sun will setting shortly after 5 pm we may end this launch around 4:00 pm to 4:30 pm to have time to pack up the equipment before dark, so if you are planning a certification flight you need to get this done earlier in the day as you don’t want to be looking for your rocket in the dark.

We will have our 12,000 foot waiver in place, and do to the clear sunny skies that are being forecasted we can use every bit of this. You can go to our website to check what available equipment and launch pads that will be on site.

We will have a porta potty on site, food, and several vendors. We launch on huge farm fields capable of launching everything from A to M motors. We are approximately 1 hour drive from Chicago.

We will have at least four different university teams that will be launching research rockets. And judging from the email buzz I've had so far in the last few weeks this will be a well-attended launch with lots of interesting rockets to see.

So, let’s all come on out and have a great time.
Go to https://www.michianarocketry.org/ for the latest launch update and map to field
Regards,
John Olevich
Michiana Rocketry Prefect/President

Last edited:
Another fabulous launch option... sigh... can you believe this is February in the Midwest?!

Global warming models have us as the new French Riviera...

Wish I could be there - looks like the April 22nd launch will be my next.
You all have fun! Pics please

The launch on Saturday will be at the usual times of set up at 9 am and flying from 10 am to 5 pm. Note that since we are close to the shortest day of the year and the sun will setting shortly after 5 pm we may end this launch around 4:00 pm to 4:30 pm to have time to pack up the equipment before dark,

Awesome launch venue and weather!

I do assume the above statement is a typo or merely copied from the December launch notice. We are 2 months past the shortest day of the year, and sunset in Three Oaks is 6:23pm EST. So, 10am-5pm EST are the hours of operation, or are you Chicago guys still thinking in terms of Central Time? :wink:

I ask because I am driving ~4 hours to get there and want to maximize every minute!

I imagine with the weather, some people may want to launch as long as possible. And all times are Eastern time.

Beautiful day for flying rockets! Got my very first cluster launched, a LOC Tri-Star on H100's and what a cool flight.
Also flew a 4-inch Madcow Phoenix on an I285R, really love that combination. Someone was alert and kind enough to rescue it from a puddle. That likely saved the paper airframe.
Thank you whoever you are.
Had a good time with old and new friends. I hoped to stick around long enough to see the Toledo team launch but alas I had family obligations and missed it. Any pics of that one?
Thanks to the BOD for a well organized event, we all appreciate what you do m

So yeah...Today was pretty awesome. NDRT had 2 successful flights today. In all the years I've mentored the ND squad I cannot recall a single day going so well.

Today was an awesome day! Thanks to RocketPoxy for supplying lunch for the overwhelming crowd. Launched my Wildman Demon on an AT J540R. Missed my first mile by 328 feet. Next time! Will post video shortly. A special thanks to Jarhead for help with tracking and recovery!

Nice flight Ryan! Wish I could've been there - I did similar last time I was at 3 oaks 5140' lol.

Nice flight Ryan! Wish I could've been there - I did similar last time I was at 3 oaks 5140' lol.

Thanks Nick! I was sure I'd get a mile today. Oh well, I've got three K's that'll push it well past that mile mark next month!

Very nice flight. What brand altimeter are you using? My hearing is get very bad and I am starting to have a hard time hearing beeps at the pad. Perfect Flight lists a larger speaker for their altimeters but its never in stock.

Nice. Not much roll. That must be a shiny paint job - you can see the reflection of the launch pad on the rocket!

Thanks! It's not "painted". It's that nice red FG from Wildman. All I did was put a few coats of clear coat on it and called it a day.

Very nice flight. What brand altimeter are you using? My hearing is get very bad and I am starting to have a hard time hearing beeps at the pad. Perfect Flight lists a larger speaker for their altimeters but its never in stock.

That's a Missile Works RRC3. It uses a lower pitched tone so it's easier to hear and/or distinguish from another altimeter if using redundancy.

Thank you for all that came out and flew with us.
Weather was a very pleasant warm sunny day (with temperatures approaching the 60+ Deg. F. areas), winds fairly mild and the skies were so clear you could see every fight from launch to apogee to landing. Yes this was what we rocketeers dream about for a launch in February in the Midwest. This felt more like a regional launch as the amount of people attending this launch was the largest crowd I have seen so far ever at a Michiana Rocketry launch. Some quick statistics:. We estimated over 160+ people were in attendance, 60+ cars, close to 100 rocket launches. We had all motors sizes ranging from A to several M's that was launched.

Also onsite at the launch were several university teams and student NASA teams. We had 8 certification flights over the day with the last and final one at 5:30 PM (yes we were nice and kept the range open later for this). Special thanks for all the volunteers who helped make everything run smoothly. The new launch pads helps keeps Michiana Rocketry with some of the best equipment that can be found at a club launch and was greatly appreciated. Thanks to all the vendors and thanks to ROCKETPOXY for sponsoring food and drinks.

I am posting some photos, thanks to the photographers who took these. I will post more photos as I receive them:

MR_021817_31.jpg MR_021817_10LR.jpg MR_021817_15LR.jpg MR_021817_16LR.jpg MR_021817_17LR.jpg MR_021817_18LR.jpg MR_021817_19LR.jpg MR_021817_21.jpg MR_021817_23.jpg MR_021817_24.jpg

Last edited:
Man it was a great day to fly in IL, MI, and the midwest in general! Too bad one cannot be in two places at once! :grin:

Some more photos from the launch. Photos of University of Michigan MASA team (white rocket), Notre Dame team (black rocket), and High school NASA team ( the big Red Rocket on the 1515 rail), Wish I would have attended a High School like that.

MR_021817_25.jpg MR_021817_26.jpg MR_021817_27.jpg MR_021817_28.jpg MR_021817_29.jpg MR_021817_30.jpg

Last edited:
Some more photos from the launch. Photos of University of Michigan MASA team (white rocket), Notre Dame team (black rocket), and High school NASA team ( the big Red Rocket on the 1515 rail), Wish I would have attended a High School like that.

There was a nice little write up on that high school team in the Niles Star this past week.

Have you heard anything about the U of M rocket? Last I heard they never found it. Dang shame, that looked like a nice bird.

Back