QCRS Launch February 18, 2017 Princeton Illinois

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great launch today! Special thanks to Jason for getting the range set up, and Justin for taking the time to video once again.

Speaking of videos, the one for my H234 research motor came out. Kinda crappy, but I got the camera for 8$ off ebay:

[video=youtube;Ynjk6EgRijo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynjk6EgRijo[/video]

Great time with the family today at QCRS.
Two great launches for me today. One great recovery... One to rebuild.

1487465409206.jpg

Had a great time, and thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me get my L1.
I also got to find out what happens when you put a 2g motor in a 3g case. :facepalm:
I bet I wont forget a spacer again.
O well off to start research on my next rocket.

Had a great time today. Being a good dad, I left the kids home alone :eyeroll: and went to the rocket launch to enjoy the great weather. I had four flights with three of them being perfect. The first wasn't perfect, but the rocket survived so I put it right back up again... Same motor, same everything, just better chute reefing with the chute release.
Got home and both kids were where I left them. Firmly planted in front of computers... :facepalm:

What a day, and what a crowd of fliers.
Can you believe this is February?
Got all 3 flights in today all successful.
Drago on a L1150, whistling on the way up, RW extended Stinger on a Loki L930, Wildman Demon on a K1103
And, picked up a LOC Top Gun.

This launch was as if we went into a time machine and went INTO the future about 2-3 months. Low to no winds, tons of flights!! Thanks to Wildman for another great day of support! I think he was able to fill everyone's needs. Congratulations to the many very flights. Looking forward to next month and a repeat of the weather.

Gus,
Just for you I'll fire up a J450DM DMS in my Demon...

SPARKY!Always a good time for Sparky! :D

Jeez do I wish I was going!!!
For some reason I am "cursed" with business success and am managing through a explosion in our business.
See ya at LDRS!

I'm guessing that Brimstone has gone up in value again...YOU and, i are BOTH blessed with the recent rise in the American economy. My Semi-Truck was filled with all kinds of consumer products awaiting all kinds of happy Amazon buyers.

Great time with the family today at QCRS.
Two great launches for me today. One great recovery... One to rebuild.

Owwww.....a rebuild...:eek: Well, knowing you it will be a good fix up. Thou shall sacrifice one for the team- everyone once in awhile.

Here's the Shredder Jr going up on a J520...

SPARKY!:D

Had a great time, and thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me get my L1.
I also got to find out what happens when you put a 2g motor in a 3g case. :facepalm:
I bet I wont forget a spacer again.
O well off to start research on my next rocket.

I recommend Chewing Gum....Fills the gap and, exercises the jaws for good B.S. sessions before said flight. Looking forward to meeting you someday.
Although i can't say the rest won't warn you...:lol:

Yes he did- it went up very fast! I think Justin got video of it as well.

Of course he does- Have you ever seen Justin without a camera in his right hand? Have you ever noticed he has a particularly HUGE right hand? Very strange....:confused:

Had a great time today. Being a good dad, I left the kids home alone :eyeroll: and went to the rocket launch to enjoy the great weather. I had four flights with three of them being perfect. The first wasn't perfect, but the rocket survived so I put it right back up again... Same motor, same everything, just better chute reefing with the chute release.
Got home and both kids were where I left them. Firmly planted in front of computers... :facepalm:

Probably hacking my credit card info off the internet...

You guys have NO idea how much i missed you yesteday. I was about 30 miles away preparing to leave Lasalle in my Semi Truck when the field opened up...All i could think the whole way back was-

I'm now 50 miles from my fuzzy friends, flying rockets in Princeton...#$@%!
I'm now 60 miles from my fuzzy friends, flying rockets in Princeton...#$@%!
I'm NOW 100 miles from my fuzzy friends, flying rockets in Princeton...#$@%!

Looked like a beautiful day from behind my windshield.

Today, i lay the pipe. Virgin pipe for the trip to LDRS latter this year. Spent all of last weekend sick on the couch with a RARE flu and, now i'm back from the dead. (My first sick day last week in 16 years of working for my company).

I'll see some of you at LDRS, Mini-MWP, then AIRFEST and, finally at MWP...Fear MWP- It involves a trash can in the build.

That's ALL i'm saying.:dark:

Really bad day for my family, but great flying. Flew 2X M's, 1X L, 1X J, and 3X I's, all research, 18,500 N-s total. Thanks to everyone that helped get the old AMW Green Gorilla M-motor lit. 3rd times a charm. Looked fantastic going up. Preliminary flight data from the I-motors seems to confirm my research paper. Sneak-preview: the length of individual BATES grains doesn't matter.

I came home and somebody had killed our dog. They were speeding through the neighborhood and ran him over without stopping. It all happened right infront of my wife, who is devastated along with my 4yr old. More details on my water cooler post.

Ugh. Is there a fast-forward button on life? I'd like to skip forward about a month to where I don't feel so bad...

SparkyVTFlyer- I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you get some justice here.

On a lesser note- the green motor was really cool. I was the LCO who pushed the button on it.

I came home and somebody had killed our dog. They were speeding through the neighborhood and ran him over without stopping. It all happened right infront of my wife, who is devastated along with my 4yr old...

Dude, that friggin blows... I really hope they get caught...

Very nice weekend indeed! I had three flights, all came back in one piece. Video does not do the 2050 justice... :)

Not sure... didn't have a chance to sim that motor during the week in advance of the launch... glad the flight went well... :)

Knowing Justin, "It was 3-2-1- OFF like a Prom Dress."
Or a very large caliber gunshot-

Sorry to hear about the above mentioned loss of good dog. I've found a couple in my ditch after being struck by cars and, left behind. :sigh:
Sad but, we have some low rent houses down the road and, when people can't pay- they move out fast leaving their pets to fend for themselves. At least you loved yours. RIP.

Thank you to everyone who planned and conducted yesterday's launch. What a blessing to have such great weather as well as another place to launch while my local club is on winter break. Nice to start placing names and faces with the profiles on here. Gus, sorry you had to work. And Sparky, sorry to hear about your family's dog; may you and your family have peace and comfort and may justice to the perpetrator be served.

Last edited:
Where is the video? JF always dose fine work.

Aerotech Open Thread in Propulsion.

I'd link it but, I'm not as computer savvy as I would like to be. :eek:

You might want to watch your fiber intake level (a really light breakfast) before viewing this one...:eek:

Seeing that the old corn drying barn in the background of Justin's video is STILL standing got me thinking...

*WARNING* I HAVE TO JACK THIS THREAD *WARNING*

Over the years that barn which i had heard was slated for demolition, has meant alot to me...I travel quite a distance to attend QCRS launches and, it has been a great refuge from the wind, drunken farm boys cruising roads at 2am and, a great staging place to prep for some of the Sunday launches i have attended over the years.
It was never uncommon to arrive late Saturday night or early Sunday morning and, hide my Pickup truck behind it awaiting "The gathering of the fellow worshippers of Holy speed and, Ungodly acceleration."

THREE TRUE STORIES-

1. I know for sure that more than a few UFO sightings in that area can be attributed to me. See i sometimes bring a few Chinese Sky Lanterns and, have on occasion tossed a few up around 1am- 3am local time to wake the neighbors.

"Look Ma! There's ANOTHER ONE! Looks like it came out of the corn and, it's heading south towards Princeton!":eek: "Call the Cops NOW!"

2. One year after a very HEALTHY diet supplement at Wildman's Van Orin residence i retreated back to the barn to get ready for Sunday...Hey, its cheaper than a motel and, my cab and, a half pickup is very comfortable on road trips.

Well- About 3am i heard a guttural gurgle...then another...Oh BOY! :shock: Grab toliet paper and, flashlight it's time to get "Animal".

The next day Speedy comes up with a horrified look on his face...

"Gus? You live in the country...right?" :eek:

Yah...What's up?

"There's a MONSTER PILE behind the barn...could you help us identify the animal that may have left it?" :eek:

Sure, where's it at?

"Right there."

OH MY GOD! That's a Mountain Lion!

"MOUNTAIN LION!" :surprised:

Yep, i'd say about 160-170 pounds...pretty much a man eater....;)

"I didn't think they had Mountain Lions in north central Illinois!" :surprised:

Yep, coyotes, fox, wolves...sometimes even a Mountain Lion or two....;)

"ATTENTION EVERYONE...We have a slight problem. It has been verified that we MAY have an active Mountain Lion in the area and, to be on the lookout when recovering your rockets today!"

:eek::eek::eek: MOUNTAIN LION!?? :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah! Guys, when your around those drainage ditches...IF YOU HEAR something behind you...START MAKING NOISE AND, FAN YOUR ARMS! Its scares them off! Be carefull, im telling you!

I thought i would take that one to me grave.:rolleyes:

3. One year after a fresh heavy snow i decided to *trample out* an image in the snow for my first onboard video that i was prepping for. See, i had just bought a small camera and, after hose clamping it to the side of my newest 6" dia. rocket i was ready to have my first captured launch from the rockets view! :D

There's David Reese and, i behind the barn as i'm working on this artwork in the snow with David dying laughing! :lol:

"Your NOT RIGHT!" :lol:

Hey Dave, its all about the fun? Isn't it?...;)

So now here we are- My FIRST You Tube video of onboard captured video.

3....2.....1! Whoooooooooosh.....BOOOOOM! Ground- Barn- Giant Wing Wang Doodle... *spin* Ground- Barn- Wing Wang Doodle...*spin* Ground- Barn- Smaller Wing Wang Doodle....

Arcing over...Princeton, eight miles away and, apogee break!

Folks, i could'nt make this stuff up if i tried. I will see you all down the road of life at the next Sunday Princeton launch or maybe a few at Bong between now and, then. Take care! :eek:

Last edited:
Really bad day for my family, but great flying. Flew 2X M's, 1X L, 1X J, and 3X I's, all research, 18,500 N-s total. Thanks to everyone that helped get the old AMW Green Gorilla M-motor lit. 3rd times a charm. Looked fantastic going up. Preliminary flight data from the I-motors seems to confirm my research paper. Sneak-preview: the length of individual BATES grains doesn't matter.

I came home and somebody had killed our dog. They were speeding through the neighborhood and ran him over without stopping. It all happened right infront of my wife, who is devastated along with my 4yr old. More details on my water cooler post.

Ugh. Is there a fast-forward button on life? I'd like to skip forward about a month to where I don't feel so bad...

You had some great flights. Let's hope for the same weather next month.

Sorry to hear about your dog, hope they get caught and justice gets served.

There is nothing like a good dog.

Last edited:
JF, what camera are you using to record these launches? I'm assuming whatever it is has Manual Focus as there's no evidence of AF hunting which is common with so many other cameras.

JF, what camera are you using to record these launches? I'm assuming whatever it is has Manual Focus as there's no evidence of AF hunting which is common with so many other cameras.

First off, you hit the nail on the head, having the manual focus ring is hugely important and must be used as often as reasonably possible for the up part. When interviewing a flier, or standing right next to the point of interest, I'll use automatic focus for a short period of time. When I back off for the up part, I pop it right back to manual mode.

- Tripod mounted pad cam is a Panasonic GS-500

- Handheld camera is a Sony VX2100

Both are Mini-DV tape cameras from many years ago... I dont have the 5-7 large to upgrade to HD... :surprised:

Glad the videos are enjoyed... :)

I thought maybe you were using a DSLR with video capability. My Canon 7D shoots video, but I've only tried it once and wasn't as comfortable with it as I was a dedicated video camera, which I don't have anymore, except a Sony ActionCam. But that's more like a GoPro - no zoom and a lot of barrel distortion at wide angle. I certainly appreciate the use of Manual Focus. Far too many YouTube videos that don't use it when they should.

Back