Arcie II RC Boost Glider from Arkansas [Edmonds]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the aileron servo. originally used hot glue, but when I "flip" the servo, there is not enough surface for the hot glue to give an acceptable bond. So, I added a little 1/8 inch plywood to my servo mounting points, and I am drilling lead-in holes for the screws (which will hold the servo in place).

m_IMG_1433.jpg m_IMG_1436.jpg

Used the mounting holes on the servo as a guide. These are hand drills you cab get at Hobby Lobby. 1/32" (silver) first, the 1/16" (blue) drill.

OK, next I run the screws down, to make threads in the wood. I am using screws with hex socket heads (from RTL Fasteners).

m_IMG_1434.jpg

Attaching the servo was a challenge, because the connector chord of the servo got in the way:

m_IMG_1437.jpg

Had to lift up the servo, then screw in the screw.

3/26/2017 - Got a launch on my Arcie II today. Used a D12-3.

Despite having this boost glider for years, I have had only one launch with it. So, I have a "learning curve" to develop.

LAUNCH - I was surprised how well this thing tracks 'straight up' despite the offset glider. I was dealing with a 10 mph wind (I think). I oriented the boost glider such that the launch rod was roughly straight up; the 'belly' of the glider was facing the wind. After liftoff, the boost glider tracked into the wind slightly, but no more than your average rocket.

FLIGHT - Once the motor cut off, the boost glider arced over, such that the aircraft was 'right-side up'. The glider stayed attached until ejection. And then things got lively......:facepalm:

I had waaaaaaaayyyyyy too much aileron movement. I need to reduce my aileron throw to about 25% of what I have right now. I will let you know how those numbers come out.

I don't recall using hardly any elevator control. Hmmm.

So, the problem with my flight was that I was rolling upside down and struggling to orient the model, which meant I lost a lot of my glide time. However, I was able to get the model 'righted' at about halfway down, and I made a decent landing. :)

The problem I ran into was tracking the boost pod. I was so focused on the glider, I did not check the boost pod's decent. But I got lucky, and guess-timated right; found the boost pod about 50 yards from my launch pad.

THE DEBATE: Which Direction To Launch?

Launching into the wind allowed the boost pod to land relatively close to me. (Yeah!) But that meant that I am initially gliding with a tailwind, since I need to bring the model BACK TO ME.

If I had launched DOWNWIND, I would have turned the glider INTO the wind, giving a slower glide (and giving me time to react to the glider). But the boost pod would likely have landed farther away.

I have come to the conclusion that you really need a second set of eyes to watch the boost pod, while you concentrate on the glider. If that is available....

Well, one point does not make a curve; more launches are needed for further analysis. :wink:

Back to work on the Arcie II. Trying to get the aileron controls sorted out better.

I looked through the instruction again, and I could not find any information for aileron throws [up/down distance the ailerons move].

So, let's measure what I have. The ailerons are currently deflected a distance of about 5/8 inch from the top of the fuselage (not measuring to elevator wire).

When the ailerons are moved, the full motion is 1/2 inch up.

m_IMG_1517.jpg m_IMG_1518.jpg

The control linkage is mounted way out on the servo arm. From the fuselage, this is a distance of 1/2".

m_IMG_1520.jpg

I disconnected the ailerons from the linkage wires. I then moved the wires to a point closer to the center of the servo.

Since the linkage wires are now closer to the center of the servo, they do not travel as much.

m_IMG_1523.jpg

The ailerons went from 1/2 inch up/down to 1/4 inch up/down.

To get equal deflection (or "camber", or "droop") for both ailerons, I initially measured them.

Then I flipped the Arcie II over, and just eye-balled it.

m_IMG_1521.jpg

My aileron movement is now reduced to 1/4" up/down. I also added "expo" of 50%, to reduce the rate of movement of the ailerons.

Here we are, ready for flight! :wink:

m_IMG_1522.jpg

What happened to the boost tube? How is this thing flying these days?

I was just about to scrap this model.

The problem was the boost tube. I really need a second set of eyes to watch the boost tube when it comes down. But there is a row of trees at my local RC field, which is not good for anything with streamers or parachutes. :eek: I do have a location with few trees, but it is in the middle of farmland, and there is no one to watch the boost tube.

After playing with a few other models, I thought it was worth a try to simply reduce the length of the boost tube, use a plugged motor, and permanently attach the boost tube to the glider. I already have nose weight added to the glider; so I can remove that, and let some of the rocket components become the needed nose weight.

I am expecting shorter glide times, but hopefully I will get a more flyable model (since I won't have to chase down boost tubes).

And if it doesn't work, then I will be scrapping a model that I was going to scrap anyway. ;)

Well, here is my Arcie II on the launch pad.

NOTE: I modified mine to also have an Elevator. The original Arcie II was designed to only have aileron control.

m_IMG_3661small.jpg

Unfortunately, my Arcie II is currently in a SWAMP. :(:oops:

Launch was excellent; went a little down wind, then the aircraft nosed into the wind, and seemed to stand still in the air; looked great.

At which point, things started to go wrong. Aircraft control was very inconsistent, and not very responsive. Getting blown downwind, finally worried about loosing model.

But it was too late; the model had drifted over to a small wetland area, and went in.

Oh well; you win some, you loose some.

Unfortunately, my Arcie II is currently in a SWAMP. :(:oops:

Ouch.

Any chance you have full size templates for it? This model is getting a little dated, but it's still a classic and rightfully a popular model that's now no longer available. I'm interested in preserving as many of these OOP designs as possible.

I have my kit - partially built...I switched my time to build and fly an Aerotech Phoenix when I acquired one...so my Arcie is on the shelf....waiting for attention.

Ouch.

Any chance you have full size templates for it? This model is getting a little dated, but it's still a classic and rightfully a popular model that's now no longer available. I'm interested in preserving as many of these OOP designs as possible.

Maxout, I sent you a "Conversation" (private message) on this.

Back