Pegasus RC RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one for a while, but didn't think I could get something flyable with the small wing the Pegasus launch vehicle has, and with the weights of components. However my recent learnings with my Mace I thought I could get something done under 11 oz with maybe a passable look and glide.

So, I scaled the wing up of course, took a crack at boost CG and moved things around in openrocket and my rc cg programs and decided on placement of components. The wing sits on sort of a platform, so I faked that with some little extensions in front and rear of the wing, with some reinforcing gussets below. Idea was to look like pegasus but be light. There seems to be a number of tail shapes and configurations in the photos I've seen, I chose one with a horizontal stab so it would match what I'm doing for the controls. Most of the photos show the fins at 120 degrees to each other, but the ones flown off of the B-52 I found were at 90 degrees to the vertical stab. Wing area is right at 1 sq foot.

Came in right at 10.75 oz, first test flight was a tiny bit pitchy on boost, but glide was much better than expected. I added 5 grams to the nose and it was very stable on boost, with a very decent glide, landing speed is faster than my others due simply to the wing loading but the drag is fairly low.

38" long, 22" wingspan, BT-80 lightweight tubing from bms.

ec94-42690-7_0.jpg

WP_20170127_20_35_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_20_44_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_20_55_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_20_55_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_21_03_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_21_21_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_21_22_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_21_29_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20170127_22_57_35_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Here are three flights from this morning.

[video=youtube;UHHOrWAete4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHOrWAete4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Frank, the stickershock decals are brilliant!

So, when you get stickershock to make your decals, how do you go about it? To you give them a picture of the vehicle, and/or do you make a digital drawing of the decal images?

A lot of times I'll just send him a photo of what I'm thinking about, if it's simple stars/bars/lettering I'll just tell him the color and/or dimensions, or if it's a variation on something else he has done for one of my kits, I'll just tell him to grab the stars and bars from this kit and lettering from the other etc.

For this model, I foudn the following art/photos on the web, then this is what I told him and he did the rest, he's very talented.
I couldn't find the pegasus logo other than on the real thing, so he did this just by this picture.

2x flag 1.75" wide
2x US air force in the angled block letters 4" wide by 1/2" tall, I forgot what you called the font.
2x nasa meatball 1.25" diameter
2x Pegasus logo: 2.6" wide
2x Darpa logo 1.5" wide
Can you do the hatches as well?

images.png

nasa-logo.jpg

Orbital.jpg

pegasus_for_mark.jpg

pegasusformark2.jpg

Back