Whats a good first Mid Power Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm....this is something I haven't given much thought to.

How much more expensive does it become? and what vendors are available to y'all North of the Border?

Plus, no matter how hard I try, I will never be a Level 4. Little jealous down here.

If you're certified L3 here and go to a launch there they promote you and give you a badge that says L4. I have a few of those. You'll find nobody friendlier to launch with also.

I find it interesting that so many of you answered the question using the assumption that the OP wanted to "graduate" to high power.

Hmmm... Over 20 different people giving recommendations and only 5 mention "H" or HPR...and some of those merely alluded to HPR, not actually recommended a HPR kit. I find it interesting you consider ~12% "so many". ;-)
I kid of course.

Hello fellow Canadian,

Many great options mentioned you can't go wrong. My first MPR was AeroTech Arreaux and I would make the same choice again if I did it over. https://www.allrocketengines.ca/Rockets/Arreaux

If you do purchase the Arreaux, I would modify two things.

One, don't build it with the engine hook but use a retainer instead. https://www.allrocketengines.ca/Build/Motor-Retainers/29-mm-plastic

Two, pickup a second coupler and install it on the booster, then install the one that comes with the kit with the black bulkhead and screw up far enough in the payload section so you can pack your recovery gear. This will save your rocket from zippering, but you have to be careful in packing the chute because of the coupler. I have never had a failure since I did this and when it zippers it just puts a dent in the coupler. https://www.allrocketengines.ca/Build/Couplers/1.9

+1 (except not a fellow Canadian)

This was also my first MPR and I used an Estes retainer instead of the motor hook. I believe the kits that have been produced more recently now have the Aerotech retainer included instead of the motor hook.

I also used epoxy instead of CA as called for in the instructions (including epoxy fillets). I've have a couple of rough landings and fins are solid. Epoxy has held up to HPR motors.

I built my stock except for adding retainer and I used 36" of 1/8" kevlar from the the motor mount. I've since obtained a coupler and another length of body tube to make a AV bay to fly dual deploy. You could make the AV bay on the initial build (and still fly it motor deploy) or later like I did. However an AV bay might not work with the zipperless suggestion above.

I've flown my stock on 24mm F24 as well as F & G 29/40-120 reloads. In dual deploy I've flown 29/120 G77 and G25 and up to H128 and H165 in the 29/180 (which would be L1 cert).

Something with a 29mm mount, that can be flown an a 24mm composite if you want to. I fly my 24/40 motor at just about every launch because the loads are so cheap for it and ship without hazmat. Also AT is on the verge of releasing some more loads for the 24/60 case which will make it more appealing. So a 2.5" kit or smaller would probably be the way to go. If you want to move into HPR, just build a HPR kit. I will admit I usually tend towards slightly heavier models just to keep from out-flying my field, so my HPR stuff really won't fly on anything but a HPR motor. Over 2500' of altitude or so can be a bit of a nail biter if there's anything but a gentle wind aloft where I fly.

Don't be afraid to use epoxy, just don't get carried away with it. I like using it on motor mounts (even on my LPR stuff now) just because it doesn't shrink and cause body tubes to "Coke bottle" like wood glue can.

One of the things to remember with MPR builds that have TTW fins... Leave off the rear CR until you've done your inner fillets. As for wasp waist/Coke bottle issues. If you have TTW fins secured to the motor tube, you really don't need to glue the MMT to the body tube, except to plug air leaks, and contain the ejection charge.

Last edited:
Nyt,
We have two major ones, one more so, and more major that the other; allrocketengines.ca out of Toronto. He carries pretty much all you need, Madcow, Aerotech, PML, etc.. And there's Coastrocketry.com out of Vancouver. he seems to mainly focus on kits, mainly LOC, a few Binder and also PML. Angelo at Sunward is also a player, but is more suited to motors (CTI). Local hobby shops typically Estes, and never have the sales Estes online shop have.. Even then, it's limited to what's hanging on the hook, or what can be ordered thru them. I would also mention GreatHobbies.com, but they are typically only Estes / LPR stuff. (But if you are into R/C, they are you place!!) I believe there might be one or two other places that do mail order.. but I personally haven't looked too hard. (Allrocketengines has been my recent go-to place, or the local hobby shop..)

Then, there is ordering directly from the US. Sometimes a vendor will mark "$50" on the customs claim when in fact it's slightly higher.. I think I've paid duty twice getting a US mail order. The real killer coming from the US is vendors not willing to ship USPS, as UPS & Fed Ex essentially rape you for duty & brokerage fees, on top of their shipping costs.. There is also the ability to get a 'Kenik' address, https://www.kinek.com/how/ but you need to be somewhat close the border, or their receiving house in order to pick up your package. (Kinek is essentially a PO box with a US street address) But, you do then pay the exchange rate of the day. And, it is in the US, so no motors (unless you fly them in the US - that's what we do). And you do run the risk of paying taxes & duties if you're only in the US for <24hrs..

Now, let's talk clubs & certification. CAR is the governing body up here. And things are a little differ that the US. level 1 is H motors only, and you need to do a written test. A portion of the test is Transport Canada regs, and is a government requirement. Level 2 gets you I motrs, no test. Level 3 gets you J-L motors, again no test. Level 4 is like NAR / TRA level 3; documentation, proofs, inspections, etc.. And clubs, from what I've seen, are few & far between. So, while I have my NAR L1 (and hopefully L2 later this year) I am not allowed to fly anything above a G in Canada until I pass the Transport Canada portion of the CAR L1 Test. https://canadianrocketry.org/

Nyt,
We have two major ones, one more so, and more major that the other; allrocketengines.ca out of Toronto. He carries pretty much all you need, Madcow, Aerotech, PML, etc.. And there's Coastrocketry.com out of Vancouver. he seems to mainly focus on kits, mainly LOC, a few Binder and also PML. Angelo at Sunward is also a player, but is more suited to motors (CTI). Local hobby shops typically Estes, and never have the sales Estes online shop have.. Even then, it's limited to what's hanging on the hook, or what can be ordered thru them. I would also mention GreatHobbies.com, but they are typically only Estes / LPR stuff. (But if you are into R/C, they are you place!!) I believe there might be one or two other places that do mail order.. but I personally haven't looked too hard. (Allrocketengines has been my recent go-to place, or the local hobby shop..)

Then, there is ordering directly from the US. Sometimes a vendor will mark "$50" on the customs claim when in fact it's slightly higher.. I think I've paid duty twice getting a US mail order. The real killer coming from the US is vendors not willing to ship USPS, as UPS & Fed Ex essentially rape you for duty & brokerage fees, on top of their shipping costs.. There is also the ability to get a 'Kenik' address, https://www.kinek.com/how/ but you need to be somewhat close the border, or their receiving house in order to pick up your package. (Kinek is essentially a PO box with a US street address) But, you do then pay the exchange rate of the day. And, it is in the US, so no motors (unless you fly them in the US - that's what we do). And you do run the risk of paying taxes & duties if you're only in the US for <24hrs..

Now, let's talk clubs & certification. CAR is the governing body up here. And things are a little differ that the US. level 1 is H motors only, and you need to do a written test. A portion of the test is Transport Canada regs, and is a government requirement. Level 2 gets you I motrs, no test. Level 3 gets you J-L motors, again no test. Level 4 is like NAR / TRA level 3; documentation, proofs, inspections, etc.. And clubs, from what I've seen, are few & far between. So, while I have my NAR L1 (and hopefully L2 later this year) I am not allowed to fly anything above a G in Canada until I pass the Transport Canada portion of the CAR L1 Test. https://canadianrocketry.org/

Thanks! That's major unfortunate about the duties on imports. Is it per item or per shipment?

Hmmm,....the honorary L4 badge sounds tempting (when/if I go L3). My first thought is Canada is pretty far away, but if I get into L3 budget territory, a weekend trip would probably be less than the cost of an L3 rocket!

Back to the OP: Get one of the afore mentioned choices that a) you like the look of, and b) won't cost you a fortune to get in Canada!
Good luck!

From what I've understood, no matter who you are, where you come from, or what NAR / TRA level you have, if you fly HPR in Canada, you need to pass that written Transport Canada test. Only then is your level recognized by CAR.. and are you able to fly HPR at a sanctioned CAR event.

So, to Steve, did you have to pass a test before flying HPR in Canada?

From what I've understood, no matter who you are, where you come from, or what NAR / TRA level you have, if you fly HPR in Canada, you need to pass that written Transport Canada test. Only then is your level recognized by CAR.. and are you able to fly HPR at a sanctioned CAR event.

So, to Steve, did you have to pass a test before flying HPR in Canada?

No, I never did, but they changed the rules a few years ago, since I've been there. Several of us loved to go to Roc* Lake. Until then they simply recognized Tripoli or NAR certs and didn't require CAR membership.

*I'm not sure when, but at some point in time they also changed it from Roc Lake, to Rock Lake. I think the first one I attended was probably in 2001 or 2002. The last year I attended was probably 2007, possibly 2008, but I could be wrong. For some reason Roc Lake 10 seems like the last one I attended. Somewhere I probably have a range badge. It was a lot of fun and I greatly enjoyed the work that Max, Tim, Garth, and others put into it. We were able to buy CTI motors for a reasonable price, but due to the exchange rate changing frequently and import duties, Aerotech was expensive. I remember paying $99 CA for a J from AT and just five dollars more for a CTI K.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
I've always just put one or two 24mm motor mounts into an Estes Kit for MPR stuff. Not quite the engine options of the 29mm stuff, but it's technically big enough.

I would however stick to larger air-frame sizes. MPR is normally single deploy so depending on the area, you may not want it to go super super high.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned, but you should get a Jolly Logic Chute Release for those higher flights (or most any MPR class flight). It will fit easily in the typical MPR rocket and I think it will fit in BT-60 but I haven't tried.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned, but you should get a Jolly Logic Chute Release for those higher flights (or most any MPR class flight). It will fit easily in the typical MPR rocket and I think it will fit in BT-60 but I haven't tried.

Chute release fits fine in a BT-60 (I've flown it in my little Patriot half a dozen times already)

+1 on using for mid power. If you can spare the expense, it'll likely help reduce loss.

And it helps with breakage...with low deployment altitudes you can afford to upsize your chutes.

Back