Baltic Birch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacklin

Reaction score
Today I was in my shop fabricating parts for fin jigs. Like most people who do repetitive work, my mind sometimes wanders. I was thinking about what a fine material Baltic Birch is and how useful it is in many applications, hobby rocketry being but one. Baltic Birch is also known as "Russian Birch" because that is where it comes from. In addition to jigs and rocket fins, it is also ideal for cabinetry, especially drawer sides.

https://www.russianlumber.com/Plywood_Price.htm

Lately, there have been allegations made against Vladimir Putin and agents of the Russian government about "hacking" into our recent presidential election. Mr. Putin has denied these allegations but it is quite clear that US/Russian relations have been strained over these accusations. I certainly hope that this situation does not result in higher prices or a lack of availability of Russian Birch.

russian-president-vladimir-putin-wants-microsoft-out-of-the-country-509902-2.jpg

Relax! Puti's going to make this OK!

[video=youtube;LNK430YOiT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK430YOiT4[/video]

Do you order your BB ply from the posted link company?
Or do you use a local distributor for the posted link company?

No, I posted that particular link because it contained the Latin name for the tree and mentioned Russia. I buy it where I can find it, sometimes from Woodworker's Source, sometimes from Bee Builders Supply in Melissa, TX and on occasion from Texas Plywood in Fort Worth. The cost of shipping is outrageous but Woodworker's Source will cut the 5' x 5' full sheets into smaller pieces that are easier on my back.

I posted the pic of Putin to confuse Matt. :wink:

Last edited:
Baltic birch will continue to be readily available until Putin annexes our NATO allies, the Baltic states. After that, there might be problems.

Baltic birch will continue to be readily available until Putin annexes our NATO allies, the Baltic states. After that, there might be problems.

Not worried about that. We (USA) rescued Europe twice in the 20th Century. :cool:

WWII-Champs americanflag.jpg

[video=youtube;RjPErwhjgjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjPErwhjgjc&t=21s[/video]

Not worried about that. We (USA) rescued Europe twice in the 20th Century. :cool:

View attachment 310831

Absolutely agree! But that depends on not walking away from your commitments, alienating your allies, and emboldening your enemies. I think it's far better to never have the fight in the first place, because your rivals know you are 100% committed, and they don't want to risk it. Otherwise, they might think they will get away with grabbing your rocketry supply allies and seizing the Baltic Birch strategic resource.

Absolutely agree! But that depends on not walking away from your commitments, alienating your allies, and emboldening your enemies. I think it's far better to never have the fight in the first place, because your rivals know you are 100% committed, and they don't want to risk it. Otherwise, they might think they will get away with grabbing your rocketry supply allies and seizing the Baltic Birch strategic resource.

Its a tough enough time for us Thirsty! :dark: Please we do not need anyone grabbing our rocket supplies from our allies!:mad: What would be a non-violent solution!! "Lend Lease" :wink:
Take care TB, & CHEX VI

There is an interesting story from recent history which comes to mind regarding birch plywood.

For years, one of the leading exporters of high quality plywood to the US was Finland. Finnish plywood was available and used in many places especially in home construction.

When the soviet union collapsed, the new independent country of Russia was temporarily desperate to raise cash in the way of foreign capital. One way they did this was to export huge quantities of low cost low quality plywood to the US. This almost completely replaced the demand for the previous standard then used which was Finnish plywood. Many American buyers purchased this 'new' low cost material.

Reality would set in quickly in a few short years. The poor quality Russian plywood delaminated in short order and the users of it quickly desired the more expensive higher quality Finland product.

This sounds like a typical supply & demand story. But it does bring to mind the adage: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten.

There is an interesting story from recent history which comes to mind regarding birch plywood.

For years, one of the leading exporters of high quality plywood to the US was Finland. Finnish plywood was available and used in many places especially in home construction.

When the soviet union collapsed, the new independent country of Russia was temporarily desperate to raise cash in the way of foreign capital. One way they did this was to export huge quantities of low cost low quality plywood to the US. This almost completely replaced the demand for the previous standard then used which was Finnish plywood. Many American buyers purchased this 'new' low cost material.

Reality would set in quickly in a few short years. The poor quality Russian plywood delaminated in short order and the users of it quickly desired the more expensive higher quality Finland product.

This sounds like a typical supply & demand story. But it does bring to mind the adage: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten.

Thanks for your post. Actually, I just wanted to insult Putin because he's such a turd. :kill:

Its a tough enough time for us Thirsty! :dark: Please we do not need anyone grabbing our rocket supplies from our allies!:mad: What would be a non-violent solution!! "Lend Lease" :wink:
Take care TB, & CHEX VI

Thanks.

We need to stand behind our NATO allies 100%, as they have stood behind us, and as required by our treaty obligations. The alliance has kept Europe out of war for decades, and I do not believe it is "obsolete" as some have called it. And I do not believe we can evaluate threats or attacks on our NATO allies on a "case by case basis" as some have said --- our responsibility is to consider an attack on one as an attack on all. The Baltics are some of our most threatened NATO members, and we need to have their back (and not just to ensure a steady supply of high-quality plywood).

Actually, I just wanted to insult Putin because he's such a turd. :kill:

One of these guys agrees with you......guess which one?

imrs.php
23172049673_a607c3256c_b_trump-nevada.jpg

(and for the record, I agree with you as well..so there).

s6

OH NO! That is Sacrilegious to most of the Aerospace Community! :mad::wink:

it would be.
thunder over Michigan air show 2015 at willow run airport in ypsillanti had the blue angels.
but my favorite part?
being able to get up close to a mosquito,b24,b29,lancaster, some b25's, and some others. when they were all in the air at the same time, I was in awe

[video=youtube;SQ0nW690ZKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0nW690ZKw[/video]

Last edited:
All this thread is missing now is one Lathropism and a rant from george...

I know, probably should have made my points a lot clearer. Unfortunately, they're intentionally vague because if they were too clear people *might* get mad.

However, I will present you with a fairly well known scientific fact: consistant stimuli results in the brain eventually blocking out that stimulus. E.G. Stare at the post long enough and you will ignore it so much that you couldn't see it if you wanted to!

Whooo...
Weeee...
Whaaaaa.....
Ohhhh....

Actually that particilar post is a disguised figrumpling* cleverly tricking you into thinking they're changing... to great success! Unfortunately it has to be a constant and consistent stimulus.

*Dr. Seuss inspired,

I like Baltic Birch (and Finnish Birch) not because it is from Asia but because it is the best stuff available for my purposes.

I despise Putin not because certain presidents and former presidents do or do not despise him but because he is a murderous thug who has unjustly enriched himself at the expense of his citizens. He is part of an ongoing reign of terror that began in Soviet Russia 100 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Revolution

For more on Putin https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/putins-way/

it would be.
thunder over Michigan air show 2015 at willow run airport in ypsillanti had the blue angels.
but my favorite part?
being able to get up close to a mosquito,b24,b29,lancaster, some b25's, and some others. when they were all in the air at the same time, I was in awe

[video=youtube;SQ0nW690ZKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0nW690ZKw[/video]

Wow!! Too cool:cool: and a Privateer!!!:surprised: Kind of reminded me of the "Gathering of Mustangs & Legends" back in 07. Was that Kermit Weeks Mosquito?
Here are some of my images from 07.

GM1_0HF copy.jpgGM1_0135.jpgGMBN8x10_0519.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back