distance traveled for a launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2006 FAI World Championships for Space Models, held at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. Great circle distance is 7,049 statute miles from Austin, which ignores the fact that we went to Moscow first.

Flew one rocket.

I agree, the guys who went to Australia will win this little exercise.

James

Nearest HPR field is Camden, SC - 200 miles, 3 hr. NEFAR is about 4 hr. I've driven as far as Black Rock several times - 2700 miles one way.

Our local club field (model rockets only) is about 20 minutes from my house. The other LPR/MPR site in the area is about 45 minutes away (Sixty Acres Park). For anything bigger I need to drive at least four hours (TCR in the Tri-Cities) and there is another good place another hour further on (Dayton - BMR).

I have driven from the Seattle area to Colorado Springs twice - NSL in 2013 and NARAM in 2014. We are planning to make the drive to NSL again this year - it's a couple of hours further - which won't be that much more of a burden since I spread the drive over three days.

The very first time I went to a high power launch (six years ago?) I drove from south of Seattle to Tillamook, Oregon.

I suppose the farthest I've been is to the Washington DC area to help at this past year's TARC finals. I'm not sure if that counts, since I did not go to fly anything myself there.....

The very first time I went to a high power launch (six years ago?) I drove from south of Seattle to Tillamook, Oregon......

You went to a High Power launch in Tillamook? Who put it on?

Not sure about the mileage, but I have 4 clubs "near" me. Closest is a bit over 1.5 hours away, furthest is a bit less than 2.5 hours.
This year I will be going to LDRS in Maryland which is over 6 hours away, so it will be the longest/furthest travel for a launch for me

Someday I will make the pilgrimage to Black Rock. The best way is to take a group of 3 -4 people to split the cost.

I suppose the farthest I've been is to the Washington DC area to help at this past year's TARC finals. I'm not sure if that counts, since I did not go to fly anything myself there.....

TARC absolutely counts!

James

My two local fields are about 1.5 hours away.

Midwest Power and URRF......... 8 hours.

BALLS....... 37 hours. This is the furthest I have driven or helped drive. No flying involved.

You went to a High Power launch in Tillamook? Who put it on?

OROC put it on. It was at the Tillamook airport. I was a true HP newbie then (had just been back into rockets of any sort for a few months). From what I gathered it was an experiment that they decided not to repeat. Flying over mostly tarmac was kind of hard on recoveries. I did manage to amuse a few folks at the end of the weekend with a Fliskits Teeny Triskelion MicroMaxx rocket....

50 minutes one way. Only problem in midwest is can only fly when the crops are out. Not like the lucky folks out west. Kurt

I wouldn't trade our waivers or flying field, but we can only fly the big stuff when there's low fire danger!

We have a fantastic launch site in Leonard, Ok. It is a sod farm so that means cut grass all year round. Depending where we launch on the sod farm (watch out for the overhead sprinklers) it could be cut grass or tilled up soil. Its a great location minutes away from civilization. Our waiver is 9,000 feet. The only draw back is there is no "facilities" We launch on sundays because the rest of the 6 days they are working there. The local gas station in Leonard is closed on sundays so we have to go into Bixby to go to restroom.

OROC put it on. It was at the Tillamook airport. I was a true HP newbie then (had just been back into rockets of any sort for a few months). From what I gathered it was an experiment that they decided not to repeat. Flying over mostly tarmac was kind of hard on recoveries. I did manage to amuse a few folks at the end of the weekend with a Fliskits Teeny Triskelion MicroMaxx rocket....

I remember that launch. I was going to drive down to Tillamook from Ilwaco, but I just couldn't get the time off.

Latest posts

Back