EX Motor Questions (no formulation data please)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.3.6 says nothing about "Research Rockets." It just requires that in a group project the person who built the motor be an official member of the group and in attendance. A Tripoli Research Group Project is not defined. I think we can do better. I think a good example of such a group project would be Stu Barrett and Jim Jarvis working together for the last BALLS launch. I don't know all the details but I think Stu was responsible for the booster motor and Jim made the rocket and took care of the sustainer motor. Both were present at launch and both were identified on the flight card. To me that's a great example of what the rules mean.
You seem worked up over this Kurt. That wasn't my intention when I asked the question. I really want to know how we can do better.

Hi Steve, I'm not worked up over this at all. I'm just saying the rule is irrelevant at this time and really doesn't apply anymore. I believe it might have made more sense when "technically" one was "supposed" to have an LEUP to
possess large motors. I expect TRA didn't want to appear to be running afoul of the laws in force at the time. Now, anyone can mix, group or otherwise and anyone can show up with a research motor and fly it in legal possession now.
Kurt

I suspect there likely is no motor maven out there who's not a member of TRA so it's moot

There is, of course, he who shall not be named......so not moot.
He could be an "invited guest" who happened to make the motor....for his "group."

Ahhhhh, but JI could hand it to another person and said person can say it's their handiwork and fly it. For research motors, maker/builder/mixer of the motor rules are unenforceable because it's impossible to know who did what and people can lie.

In the end, it doesn't matter as long as the rules to conduct a TRA research launch are maintained and followed. That's what is important.

Kurt

Back