Estes T25 Centurian REBUILD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Richard. :flyingpig: (Being from Arkansas, a "flying pig" has a more positive meaning.)

A NOTE ON GLUES

In my first rebuild, I used Hot Glue to re-attach fuselage parts. That was because hot glue is good at connecting dissimilar materials (wood & plastic), and the 'rubberiness' of hot glue (can you tell I'm a materials engineer?) gives it a little flexibility to withstand impacts.

The problem with hot glue is TIME. You need to be able to attach parts within seconds (5 to 10) after applying the hot glue to a surface. because it dries fast (20 to 30 seconds).

Note that the T25 did NOT break at my previous hot glue joint (Yeah!). But the complexity of the recent break meant that it was difficult to assemble the fuselage nose back to the wing/fuselage. So, I used 15 minute epoxy to give me time to assemble all parts together.

I plan to reinforce the joint with wood strips that are hot glued in place.

Last edited:
And progress continues.........

I am pointing to some 1/16" plywood strips that are roughly 1/4" x 1-1/4" long:

m_IMG_1390.jpg

The plywood strips are hot glued in place. I had to use small needle-nose pliers to set them in the fuselage (quickly!).

I must confess.......I can't find the friggin' canopy. I continue to search, and consider various solutions.

Making a new canopy out of balsa/ply/monokote? Or just slapping some Duct Tape over the opening? (Seems appropriate for Arkansas.) :eyeroll:

I've used card stock cut to fit and CA'd for strength and/or searched the local dollar store for plastic bottles that have an appropriate shape contained in them. I would just do something quick to get it flying then fuss with it after. Besides after all the work is done the part will usually be found hiding under ones nose. At least thats the way it works with me. :facepalm:

Richard

I've used card stock cut to fit and CA'd for strength and/or searched the local dollar store for plastic bottles that have an appropriate shape contained in them. I would just do something quick to get it flying then fuss with it after. Besides after all the work is done the part will usually be found hiding under ones nose. At least that's the way it works with me. :facepalm:

Richard

Too true.

Following George's advice, Part 1:

m_IMG_1395.jpg m_IMG_1398.jpg

Adjusted the elevator control/servo such that it is roughly neutral in the 'raised' elevator position. (post-boost glide)

Following George's Advice Part 2: Turbulator

m_IMG_1400.jpg m_IMG_1401.jpg

Marking a location 6 inches from the wing tip (25% chord). And 1/8" vinyl tape from Hobby Lobby.

FLIGHT: 3/26/2017

Had a very good flight with the T25 today. In fact, it was stunning!

FLIGHT PLAN
To begin, I worked out a bit more of a Flight Plan. My idea was to launch DOWNWIND, then turn into the wind and make a long approach into the wind.

The flight went something like this:

1) Used a D11-P with a D12-0 booster.

2) Was on a north/south runway (west side), with winds out of the southwest at 10-15 mph.

3) Had the launch rod at a 5 degree angle, pointed northeast.

4) LAUNCH! Angled T-25 toward the northeast.

5) As the rocket glider reached a time when I thought the second stage was about to quit, I nosed forward. This way, the glider was nearly horizontal, traveling north, when the rocket motor quit.

6) When the motor quit, I hit my switch to move the elevator position to slightly up.

7) I then flew the glider in a long, slow arc to the left.

8) I straightened up the glide path when the glider was facing south; north of my location.

9) I then proceeded to take the glider straight down the length of the runway (which is grass), finally coming to a landing.

Glide performance was incredible. I believe the turbulator strips helped the aileron response as the glider slowed down.

THINGS TO DO
A) I still think the elevator is up a little too much, 'inviting' a stall. I am almost to a point where I wonder if a set 'up' elevator change is necessary.

B) The ailerons are still too responsive. When I sort out what 'good performance' is, I will let you know. :wink:

Very interesting.

There are two models at HobbyKing that have the "T25 look", and could possibly be converted to rocket gliders:

FlyCat: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/flycat-edf-foam-jet-very-fast-kit-only.html

The Flycat is an EDF [Electric Ducted Fan] RC foam jet. It has a 25 inch wingspan, and is $33 (without gear). It has aileron/elevator control.

Bullet Nano: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/park-scale-models-bullet-nano-edf-balsa-466mm-kit.html

The Bullet Nano is an all wood model EDF with an 18 inch wingspan. Cost is $27, and you download the plans. It has a very small elevator that has no control function; the model uses elevons.

By the way, I had planned to "retire" my T25 after 2017; but it is flying so well.....I don't know.

Back