Daughter's Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a blessing! I know my daughter will never care about rocketry, but my son will. He loves astronomy and wants to be an astronaut, but I mean for real! Wouldn't surprise me if he walks on Mars some day.

This is a great time of bonding for you and her, especially right before those pesky teenage years kick in.

She's nearing the finish line. We also cut the nosecone and made a bulkhead to fit inside with a ubolt. Just a preferred attachment point. Once everything has fully dried we'll pull out the StickerShock decals which always make everything look awesome!
20170223_165134.jpg 20170224_063535.jpg

Kid builds are the best! I can't even interest my daughter in an E2X build. :( She does want to see them fly, though.

Last edited:
Looks great, Kevin. Why not go all out and put some Baltimore Ravens stickers on it. :wink:

Kevin! your daughter does amazing work! I love her paint schemes too...I love the one rocket she made with the cow theme...spots and all Eat More Chiken....she shoudl make a Zooch Lifting Body...would love to see where she takes that!

its great that you get to share this time! Trust me..it flies by...My little girl is getting married in June...where did the time go? Every so often I get her come out when I launch and she takes pictures for me.

awesome thread!

Ok. I'll say it. I am DAMNED PROUD of her! She really knocked this one out of the ball park! Can't wait to see it fly!!!
Meg Start 2.jpg Meg Start.jpg Mega Purple Max.jpg Purple Max.jpg Megan dad.jpg

Awesome work! I love to build rockets and just about anything will all 3 of my daughters. We just finished up 3 builds before I joined the forum. But will be looking for new ones to have some more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kevin! your daughter does amazing work! I love her paint schemes too...I love the one rocket she made with the cow theme...spots and all Eat More Chiken....she shoudl make a Zooch Lifting Body...would love to see where she takes that!

its great that you get to share this time! Trust me..it flies by...My little girl is getting married in June...where did the time go? Every so often I get her come out when I launch and she takes pictures for me.

awesome thread!

Thanks Rick!! I'm not sure she's ready for a Zooch kit yet, but we look forward to meeting and talking with him at NARCON tomorrow. I'm so glad she joined Tarc. Definitely means she'll be out with me more often! :)

What a great thread! Your daughter really did a fantastic job with her build! You are right to be proud of her!

John Beans is such a great guy. Donated quite a few Chute Releases at NARCON and now my daughter has a new Chute Release for her newly finished rocket!! Thanks John!!

1488073646305.jpg

Nice, it appears everyone should build one of these MDRMs in their lifetime. Sold, picking one up. Btw, excellent paint and vinyl job. My sister-in-law loved it.

John Beans is such a great guy. Donated quite a few Chute Releases at NARCON and now my daughter has a new Chute Release for her newly finished rocket!! Thanks John!!

Kevin, it was fun to meet you and your daughter at NARCON, and I'm happy she won one of the Chute Releases. As I told the conference organizers, I wish I had more time to donate to the hobby, but my own family and business keep me busy. The least I could do was pitch in with some product to help make NARCON a little more special for folks.

Kevin, it was fun to meet you and your daughter at NARCON, and I'm happy she won one of the Chute Releases. As I told the conference organizers, I wish I had more time to donate to the hobby, but my own family and business keep me busy. The least I could do was pitch in with some product to help make NARCON a little more special for folks.

Thanks John. You really did pitch in and made the dinner prizes exciting. We are also really stoked about your forth coming altimeters!! Who knows....Some day there may be more than two of us wanting it ported to the "windows " platform. :) thanks again.

So today was the day. It was really cold out at the launch site at The Plains today. Megan watched me prepare her motor and we got stuck with a copperhead ignitor in the package. Hate those. First time I got one in a G76 though. Anyway, went to launch and the ignitor failed. During our 60 second wait period a gust of wind came up and blew over the rail. It broke both rail buttons and punched a hole through the body tube. She was sooo sad! I picked up a strong coupler from Ken Allen and we'll reinforce the center tube; just as I did mine when it blew up 40ft off the pad on it's first launch. Arrgg so sad for my daughter. She did such a nice job and this wasn't the way I wanted to see that first flight go for her.
on the pad.jpg hole.jpg

So today was the day. It was really cold out at the launch site at The Plains today. Megan watched me prepare her motor and we got stuck with a copperhead ignitor in the package. Hate those. First time I got one in a G76 though. Anyway, went to launch and the ignitor failed. During our 60 second wait period a gust of wind came up and blew over the rail. It broke both rail buttons and punched a hole through the body tube. She was sooo sad! I picked up a strong coupler from Ken Allen and we'll reinforce the center tube; just as I did mine when it blew up 40ft off the pad on it's first launch. Arrgg so sad for my daughter. She did such a nice job and this wasn't the way I wanted to see that first flight go for her.
View attachment 314372 View attachment 314371

Ugh, I had some great failures today myself. But when we left the site my daughter was saying had much fun she had, so that made my day and I stopped worry about 3 lost rockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, that is frustrating. Certainly, dealing with mishaps is part of rocketry, but that's definitely a bummer.

I'm sure you'll get it fixed up and flightworthy soon enough, and hopefully that'll make the eventual first flight even more satisfying.

View attachment 314372 View attachment 314371

You all should have seen the quality of her work up close, it was immaculent. The incident on the pad was sad. I hope she jumps right back in there.

You all should have seen the quality of her work up close, it was immaculent. The incident on the pad was sad. I hope she jumps right back in there.

Thanks!! I appreciate that and will show her this comment. We are going to put a coupler in the tube and try our best to make the outside look good. Hopefully she'll fly April 1st and LDRS.

Thanks!! I appreciate that and will show her this comment. We are going to put a coupler in the tube and try our best to make the outside look good. Hopefully she'll fly April 1st and LDRS.

This is a great opportunity for her to learn how to handle disappointment. Very unfortunate, but not the end of the world. Looking forward to her having a great flight at LDRS!

Back