Daughter's Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Kevin,,
What a great everything..
I sure am sorry to hear of the mishap at the pad,,
but that's no big deal at all,, I bet I can make her feel a bit better,, lol..
Kevin,
Would you please ask your daughter if she would do me a favor..
I am making a great amount of 3/16" Tubular Kevlar harnesses
with the 3rd loop in a new configuration with a stainless ball bearing swivel
actually making the loop instead of me making the loop..
I think it's a much better idea to do it this way, but I'd really like it flight tested
before I manufacture this big order of harnesses for someone.....

If you don't mind, I'm going to send her one "set" exactly as I'm making them..
I'd like to know what she thinks when she receives it..
How it looks to her when she opens the package,,
and of course how she likes flying it...

Thank you so much always Kevin,,,

Teddy

Wow Kevin,,
Kevin,
I think it's a much better idea to do it this way, but I'd really like it flight tested

Teddy

That, right there, is awesome! You're a good man Teddy.

Ok,,
Wait a minute,,
My wife hasta see dis,,
she's never going to believe it... lol...

Teddy

Wow Kevin,,
Kevin,

Teddy

Wow!! She'd be honored to try them Teddy!! That's very gracious of you.

Hey Kevin..I am sorry to hear about the mishap with your daughters rocket...but I agree with the statements made earlier about how this is a great way to learn....if you sit back and think about it, even with the magnificent beast... the Saturn V...the engineers (and these guys are legends...) were constantly working on faults and making that rocket better. I am thinking about the pogo encountered in Apollo 6 and the way they engineered a way to reduce the effects...all of this is part of rocketry..even with what we fly. From the pictures you have shown of her work she is just remarkable!! WAY ahead of what I could do at her age. Tell her to hang in, fix it as best as can and light the candle!

Hey Kevin..I am sorry to hear about the mishap with your daughters rocket...but I agree with the statements made earlier about how this is a great way to learn....if you sit back and think about it, even with the magnificent beast... the Saturn V...the engineers (and these guys are legends...) were constantly working on faults and making that rocket better. I am thinking about the pogo encountered in Apollo 6 and the way they engineered a way to reduce the effects...all of this is part of rocketry..even with what we fly. From the pictures you have shown of her work she is just remarkable!! WAY ahead of what I could do at her age. Tell her to hang in, fix it as best as can and light the candle!
Thanks Rick. She's over the initial disappointment; but is excited about repairs now!

So. What's the quality of our vendors? You see Teddy and his responses above. This rocket had it's issue this past Saturday. Today a new wrap appeared from Stickershock23! Mark just Rocks. Megan is going to be so thrilled when she get's home and see's it. Knowing it was coming we put a new coupler inside; almost 100% identical to the location the same coupler sits in mine. Must be a family thing. Then sanded down the torn area and filled it in in expectation of re-wrapping the area. We carefully removed the overlap from the original wrap so the thing is completely even, then will wrap the new one this weekend. Mark. Thank you again so much!

Coupler followed by the hole followed by filling followed by sanded and ready to wrap

coupler installed.jpg hole.jpg ready1.jpg ready2.jpg

Would it make sense to use a heat gun to warm up the old wrap and peel it off?

Honestly I just didn't know if that would work I would much rather prefer a way to peel that off without damaging rocket. Does heating the vinyl like that would allow it to peel off?

Thanks again to H_Rocket for the hot gun tip! And BIG THANKS to stickershock23 (Mark) for taking care of Megan with a new wrap! Her Purple Max (2.0) is done and ready to fly on the 1st.

purple max 2-0.jpg

I'm really sorry this took so long Kevin / Megan..

Let me know how ya like it,, lol...

Teddy

lol,,,

No kiddin,,

I have great hopes when she opens that bad...

My intent is for her to be seriously impressed..

Teddy

Teddy. A package arrived today! I believe Megan was very happy with what she received! She sat down immediately and sent me an email to forward on to you before she started homework. I have forwarded that on to your personal email. Thank you sir!!! She'll be field testing April 1st during her TARC and will definitely be flying at LDRS!! Thanks again, you are really a great guy!

Kevin

Teddy. A package arrived today! I believe Megan was very happy with what she received! She sat down immediately and sent me an email to forward on to you before she started homework. I have forwarded that on to your personal email. Thank you sir!!! She'll be field testing April 1st during her TARC and will definitely be flying at LDRS!! Thanks again, you are really a great guy!

Kevin

lol,,
oh, you're quite welcome Kevin..
I sure hope she likes it and it makes her ferget about the little whoopsie when her rocket was damaged..
You guy's take care,, and I'll be seeing you for sure at LDRS....

I really can't wait,,lol..

Teddy

Finally! Megan got to launch her Mega "Purple" Max today. No wind issues blowing down the launch rod, no huge lines at LDRS, just a perfect darned near windless day. We had a drag race, and the old man NEVER left the pad. Guess she showed me! Regardless, it was a perfect flight. Really proud of her!

WWoooopppp...
Ha,,
A perfect flight...
Good for her man...
Tell her I said to save in the back of her mind your rocket not even making it off the pad..
You never know when an opportune moment will arise and she may need a little tidbit like that,, lol...

Teddy

Last edited:
Finally! Megan got to launch her Mega "Purple" Max today. No wind issues blowing down the launch rod, no huge lines at LDRS, just a perfect darned near windless day. We had a drag race, and the old man NEVER left the pad. Guess she showed me! Regardless, it was a perfect flight. Really proud of her!

Congrats on your maiden flight Megan! Now tell dad you want to put an H in it for your L1!
You're a lucky dad Kevin. What motors did you fly with?

Thanks guys. Kevin we used a G76. She's got a loc doorknob in the basement waiting for a summer build shes going to dip the tripoli mentorship program

I wish I could do that with my son. He can read well enough, but at 6, he's not going to pass the test. :wink:

This has to be one of the coolest post I've seen in long time. It's nice to see young kids take an interest in such a fun hobby.

Instead of asking for a car at 18 she'll be wanting an "M" reload for her L3 :)

Back