Estes V-2 from Arkansas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real nice photos. Thanks for shooting and sharing. Nice paint job. Did you shoot any photos of the painting process? I will start building my second V2 very soon. I will use basswood for the fins and I will use a length of 8' kevlar for the shock cord. I will go with a nylon parachute and use a Aerotech RMS motor casing. On the first one which was 100% stock I cracked a fin after just a few flights. Here's a photo of the first one I built:

V201 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr

I must confess that I cheated. :blush: Rather than choosing an "exact" paint scheme, I looked at what paints I had, and compared then to various on-line color guides to German WW2 V-2 camouflage. And came up with what you see.

I used Testors Model Master paints. I know I spray painted the light tan, and possibly the dark tan (it's been a few years).

I think I brushed on the dark green over the tans. I used regular old blue masking tape, that I cut to produce the pattern. Note that I spread out the light tan patterns, so that I did not have to paint dark tan over light tan. :wink:

What is FUNNY is that this was the second V-2 I built. I lost the first, because I launched too late in the evening! Looking beautiful going up at dusk (now I know why people do night rocket launches), and I figured I would have enough light to see the chute....:kill:

Chute popped, and that was it. Gone. I could not see the rocket/chute in the setting sunlight. Never found it. So, I built this one. :cool:

Your V-2 looks very good.

Here's a photo of the first one I built:

V201 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr
Very few people use that late test version. That makes it stand out from everyone else's V2's, and you did a good job of it.

I must confess that I cheated. :blush: Rather than choosing an "exact" paint scheme, I looked at what paints I had, and compared then to various on-line color guides to German WW2 V-2 camouflage. And came up with what you see.
The Germans probably did the same - by that point in the war they were running short of all sorts of things! It's certainly well painted, and if you hadn't owned up, nobody would have known that you didn't use genuine German army colours.

What did you use for the fin fillets?

I apply glue to the fin, then attach it to the body. While holding the fin in place, I wipe along the edge of the fin/body with a paper towel, or a Q-tip, or my finger (depending on the size of the rocket, and the type of glue).

I tend to use Titebond wood glue or 30-minute epoxy. This means the process of attaching the fins is sslllloooooooowwwwwww. Attach one fin, with the rocket laying on its side, and wait overnight.

Finally got some launch pics from my 'old' V-2. Pics taken from a launch at the Mid-South Rocket Society in Memphis, Tennessee.

m_IMG_2789small.jpg m_IMG_2791small.jpg

I put off building the Loc Precision 4" V2 for probably close to a year but I hope to get back into it this weekend. I'd like to get my L1 in April or May if the world comes back together.

Back