Estes Astron Skydart II from Arkansas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNUG BOOSTER TUBE (or "pop-pod") - Yes, I also have had this problem with a recent Skydart. Sand, sand, sand is what I did. The tube should come out with a "light or medium" tug. The tube should not fall out.

There is a tab on the Tube that holds the Elevator DOWN in flight (actually, level with wing). When the tube/pop-pod ejects, it "frees" the Elevator, and the elastic (or rubber band) pulls the Elevator up.

This is super helpful, thanks. I have the tab installed on the booster tube. I'll keep sanding until it's not too snug.

So basically I just need some elastic cord to snap the elevator up after ejection? What does that little vinyl pin do? It doesn't seem to be connected to anything?

This is super helpful, thanks. I have the tab installed on the booster tube. I'll keep sanding until it's not too snug.

So basically I just need some elastic cord to snap the elevator up after ejection? What does that little vinyl pin do? It doesn't seem to be connected to anything?

The pin is used to adjust the angle of deflection of the elevator after the pod is ejected. You raise or lower the screw as needed to dial in the best glide. It goes into that bit of balsa that gets glued into the slot at the bottom of the rudder.

sky dart ii.jpg

Also check the pictures crawf56 posted in #27 and #28

The pin is used to adjust the angle of deflection of the elevator after the pod is ejected. You raise or lower the screw as needed to dial in the best glide. It goes into that bit of balsa that gets glued into the slot at the bottom of the rudder.

View attachment 338565

Also check the pictures crawf56 posted in #27 and #28

Ah, got it. So it basically acts as a doorstop. I think I can find some parts around the workshop to do replace these with.

Bringing this old thread back to life for a bit. I recently cut out a set of 2x Sky Dart parts from 6mms Depron.

Was always one of my favorite designs and had a couple of original Sky Darts in the 1970s, plus a Sky Dart II a few years ago.

George G. has already created a very nice 2X Sky Dart a number of years back, so not much new to see here. Mine will be a little lighter, ala Frank Burke style, to use the E6.

Hope to have it ready to go for some fall launches. I do tend to jump around a lot on projects, being easily distracted by bright shiny objects and new ideas....:)

Back