Getting a rocket out of the atmosphere

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidanDelli

Reaction score
Just for theoretical reasons, I was wondering what it would take to get as rocket out of the atmosphere. I want it to be made out of pre-made motors so I'm assuming O class since that is the highest to my knowledge. I was thinking it would have to be a cluster or dual stage design with the body and fins entirely made out of metal. For recovery, I would assume something along the lines of dual deployment but I'm not sure. I was interested what your guys opinions of this would be and how you would go about accomplishing it. (I am not trying to actually build one, just a random thought I had.)

Dante is relevant : ye who would enter here , all hope abandon.

Not trying to be unkind or quash your spirit ; these are good questions for where you're at!

But please do yourself a favor, start with Stine's Handbook, and work up. Every pursuit of a dream starts this way :)

PS: Think on the definition of " atmosphere ".

Just for theoretical reasons, I was wondering what it would take to get as rocket out of the atmosphere. I want it to be made out of pre-made motors so I'm assuming O class since that is the highest to my knowledge. I was thinking it would have to be a cluster or dual stage design with the body and fins entirely made out of metal. For recovery, I would assume something along the lines of dual deployment but I'm not sure. I was interested what your guys opinions of this would be and how you would go about accomplishing it. (I am not trying to actually build one, just a random thought I had.)

The atmosphere gets thinner and thinner as you extend into space, so there is no clear definition of where it ends. All earth orbiting satellites get affected by our atmosphere (specifically the mesosphere, thermosphere, and exosphere) , though the amount diminishes with altitude. We do, however, have a definition for space, the Karman Line, at 100km above sea level.

Is the Karman Line what you mean, or is there a specific layer of atmosphere that is the goal to exceed?

The atmosphere gets thinner and thinner as you extend into space, so there is no clear definition of where it ends. All earth orbiting satellites get affected by our atmosphere (specifically the mesosphere, thermosphere, and exosphere) , though the amount diminishes with altitude. We do, however, have a definition for space, the Karman Line, at 100km above sea level.

Is the Karman Line what you mean, or is there a specific layer of atmosphere that is the goal to exceed?

I really like what you wrote here. Having a clear and specific goal is the very first step to achieving it.

I guess that would be sufficient. As you can kind of tell, I'm new to this so I didn't really think that through all the way. The plan was to just launch the rocket up and back and the Karman Line sounds like a good turnaround point.

first thing i would do to accomplish what ya want is have at least $50k, then plan on another $50k being necessary.

getting to so called space is easier than getting into orbit. I think for orbit you are going to need around 17,000 lbs of fuel with ISP of 260. read that some where but it is probably bull.
Also remember if you get to space there is nothing for your motor to push against. (hahaha)

getting to so called space is easier than getting into orbit. I think for orbit you are going to need around 17,000 lbs of fuel with ISP of 260. read that some where but it is probably bull.
Also remember if you get to space there is nothing for your motor to push against. (hahaha)

There is the rocket:wink:

Back