3 Altimeter Choices: which one and why do you like it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gary7,

The answer should be determined by what you want it to do, and how much you want to spend. Others have pointed out the differences in the units. Your question, as it stands, is a bit like asking what car you should buy. Are you going for family-sized, gas mileage, dependability, safety rating, ... ?

If you are not intending to download data, then skip the Strat and the RRC3. For simple DD, go with the Adept or the RRC2+. Adept altimeters have an unusual wiring scheme. It works, but can be frustrating having to put all of your positive ends into a single port on the terminal strip. When I do it, one always pops out while I'm trying to put another in. But it's cheaper than RRC2+.

Heck, if you just want DD with no max altitude report, use a DDC22; it's cheaper still.

of the 3 I've only used the RRC3 bought for airstarts , I had trouble connecting pc to it , I landed in sewage treatment pond and didn't replace it

I have a few StratoLoggers, both the SL100, and SLCF. I have never had an issue with either model, and they are easy to configure. So my vote is for the SLCF, assuming it meets your needs.

However take this with a grain of salt because I have never owned the RRC3 or the Adept 22, but I hear good things about both.

I think you're misreading what Kurt is saying. The OP has listed three DUAL deployment altimeters. Thus why the NAR report (no, I didn't log in to read it,but based on Kurt's comment, I assume the NAR report is on reading altimeters only) is a non issue.

The report tested recording-only and recording+deployment altimeters. Stratologger was tested. The focus was data. Certainly, you can buy a deployment altimeter and only use it for data.

As mentioned, the OP is not clear in his objectives, leaving us to only guess.

If you would please pick one of the three and give your reasons for your choice. I am one that likes to keep things simple but reliable. Thanks ahead of time:

RRC3
Adept 22
Stratologger SLCF

I recommend the RRC3 also. That being said, I use a RRC3 and Strattologger SLCF side by side in most of my larger rockets.

Dale

"You could also get a Missile Works RRC2+. $45.00 and ready to use out of the box."

Or even less if you buy during their black Friday sale. :cheers:

I have only used the RRC3 devices on one occasion (our 1:1 scale V2). Effortless to use. All three (one on each section) worked as planned :)

Sorry but I can't give any perspective on the other devices. I normally fly Ravens or Telemegas.

If you would please pick one of the three and give your reasons for your choice. I am one that likes to keep things simple but reliable. Thanks ahead of time:

RRC3
Adept 22
Stratologger SLCF

Adept 22 be careful with Rf trackers. Test with bare ematches before flying with an Rf tracker. If the device doesn't shutdown, restart or pop the bare ematches
after leaving the system on for at least 30minutes or more, should be good to go. I know of a 2 watt ~150Mhz Garmin GPS dog tracker that completely shutdown
two Adept 22's resulting in a ballistic flight of a very large rocket. New rocket was built with the same tracker in the nosecone and same thing happened but now during a ground test. The altimeters were swapped out for one's that passed the Rf test and things were better. Kurt

I have 2 of the three brands mentioned, I like the Missile Works products a lot. However going forward, I'm migrating to Eggfinder. My last two are Eggfinder, TRS and a Quantum.

Back