Thrust to weight guideline for saucers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Is it still 3:1 minimum? Or is it different because there are no fins / angle of attack. Or at least it's quite different.

So, 3:1? Lower? Higher?

With saucers, you need to factor in the size in some manner, noit just thrust/weight. I've flown a big one at a 5:1 ratio and it arced over and landed under power. At double that ratio it flew arrow straight.

Not a saucer, per se, but my Priority Stealth did the same thing: arced over and landed under power with an Apogee F10. Probably should have expected it, but no harm done.
-Ken

The great thing about saucers is how hard they are to break.

I flew my Polecat Wocket with Aerotech 54mm I65 DMS. Bad idea.

It arced over and landed under power. (That sounds somehow familiar, hmm)
There was some minor damage. But the cool thing is that I could say:

"It lawn darted under power into a big rock and I could have flown it again immediately"

without having my fingers crossed or nothing.

I fly the Funk Saucer with an H45 for a real decent boost .. but it only weighs 12 oz .

Kenny

1486791984082.jpg

The problem with any saucer like rocket is not just the thrust to weight. It's the drag. You have to have enough thrust for weight and high drag. I've had some arc bad and others not. Sometimes it's tricky. The wind can be a factor with lower thrust as well. Higher wind makes it arc more. Higher wind needs higher thrust. I've flown up to a 54mm five sided saucer with a K motor. Went straight up in 10-15 mph winds. Saucers and their type have high drag and need more thrust than a normal rocket.

The problem with any saucer like rocket is not just the thrust to weight. It's the drag. You have to have enough thrust for weight and high drag. I've had some arc bad and others not. Sometimes it's tricky. The wind can be a factor with lower thrust as well. Higher wind makes it arc more. Higher wind needs higher thrust. I've flown up to a 54mm five sided saucer with a K motor. Went straight up in 10-15 mph winds. Saucers and their type have high drag and need more thrust than a normal rocket.

Yup, long burns are best, but you need enough thrust too.

Back