World Spacemodeling Championships video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Here's a short video highlighting Team USA at last summer's FAI World Championships for Space Models, held in L'viv, Ukraine. For folks on this forum the most interesting stuff will probably be the scale flights, which can be found toward the last quarter of the film.

[video=youtube;QoM3hlvNTEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoM3hlvNTEI[/video]

Recommended viewing settings are 1) full screen in HD, and 2) loud.

Enjoy,
James

Great video!
I especially liked the Mercury Little Joe.
Thanks for posting.

Anyone know what motors they use?

In the duration and altitude events, generally a mix of Serbian, Ukranian, and Polish motors. For scale, scale altitude, and RC rocket glider, the US flyers generally use Aerotech and Estes products.

James

Some of those looked skinny, but still had some power.
I've never really thought about what the foreign motor market. May be a good weekend google project for myself.

Do the US teams ship the motors ahead of time or have them delivered?

That is so extremely cool! I would love to attend an international event like that some day.

Last edited:
That is so extremely cool! I would love to attend an international event like that some day.

Last summer I took my son to the canam cup in Muskegon . Who knew you could have so much fun watching A motors all weekend. What a great group of people the US team is too.

Do the US teams ship the motors ahead of time or have them delivered?

Both. We arrange a shipment of US-sourced motors to arrive at the contest location via international hazmat service, and also arrange for Euro motors to be received at the contest site.

Note that for several of the events US motors are preferred.

James

I enjoyed the video, James.

Any chance you could post video(s) of the awards ceremonies when U.S. team members received medals?

Thanks.

Last summer I took my son to the canam cup in Muskegon . Who knew you could have so much fun watching A motors all weekend. What a great group of people the US team is too.

Dan,

It was great having you there and we are REALLY hoping Trevor will try out for the team this summer.

A note to others, the U.S. team is looking for Juniors (flyers under the age of 18). A significant number of our Junior team members have "aged out" so we need new Juniors. The flyoffs to make the team will be held in Muskegon, Michigan this summer the first weekend of NARAM.

If you have a child, or know of one, who you think might be interested in trying out for the team, please contact me through a PM here on TRF. Myself and other team members can definitely get your Junior up to speed before the flyoffs.

The next World Championships will be in Krakow, Poland during late August 2018.

As a father of a former Junior I can tell you quite honestly that NOTHING compares to being on the U.S. Team. The Juniors represent their country in real international competition, they make wonderful lasting friendships with kids from all over the world, and they have something incredibly impressive to put on their college applications (which is REALLY helpful when it comes to applying for scholarships). There is nothing you can send your child to, or trip you can take them on, that compares to being on this team.

As I always told my daughter, Emma, "you win just by getting on the team. The prize is that you get to go to Europe and fly model rockets."

Here's a short video highlighting Team USA at last summer's FAI World Championships for Space Models, held in L'viv, Ukraine. For folks on this forum the most interesting stuff will probably be the scale flights, which can be found toward the last quarter of the film.
[video=youtube;QoM3hlvNTEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoM3hlvNTEI[/video]
Recommended viewing settings are 1) full screen in HD, and 2) loud.
Enjoy,
James

Thanks for posting - enjoyed it.

The big Mercury Little Joe at 18:31 - did it recover intact?

Back